Re: [NTO] Paul McFedries

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
      Don wrote:
      > It isn't that I can't make a facebook page or post to it ... it just
      > seems like a completely disjointed means of communication to me. I get
      > that you can find a long lost friend or create an event. But the noise
      > to content ratio is over the top. That is what I am saying.

      Add to the the problem of accounts being hijacked and it was all the
      reason I needed to delete my FB account.
      -Mike

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
    • jeff
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
        Facebook, Twitter and many other 'social' sites are simply ways to
        program the masses, and to make money off ads.

        People get addicted to that stuff waiting the next on-line game,
        texting, posting nonsense.

        it is a time filler and not very productive unless you are a trendy
        advertiser. It invades the entire life of those into it.

        I have accounts on both but I only use them to keep contact with my
        genealogical extended family.

        I do post photographs at Flickr. but that at least is WORK I have done,
        not just stuff passed around.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
          jeff wrote:
          > People get addicted
          > It invades the entire life of those into it.
          > I only use them to keep contact with my
          > genealogical extended family.

          I fully agree. I used to be a menber for a short time, as some in my
          family don't do blogs and sometimes post interesting accounts and
          pictures there but I cancelled it - the drawbacks far outweighed all the
          advantages.

          I see similarities in other things. My daughter had a mobile phone when
          in first grade of primary school, a basic one to make calls with. She
          never had a gameboy or playstation, at least not from me or with my
          consent. My nephew, who is a successful professor, gave his daughter an
          Iphone at about the same age but forbade her to use the phone. How silly
          is that?