Re: [NTO] Paul McFedries

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
      Hi Don,

      On 11 Dec 10 19:02 Don <don@...> said:
      > I should probably buy it -- cause I get facebook not at all.

      So should I! But that's because I know a little about creating my own
      web sites and I get more than enough interesting correspondents as a
      result of that.

      I regard Facebook and Twitter as web sites for those that don't know
      how to produce their own. What am I missing?

      Greg
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
        It isn't that I can't make a facebook page or post to it ... it just
        seems like a completely disjointed means of communication to me. I get
        that you can find a long lost friend or create an event. But the noise
        to content ratio is over the top. That is what I am saying.

        On 12/11/2010 2:16 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Hi Don,
        >
        > On 11 Dec 10 19:02 Don <don@...> said:
        >> I should probably buy it -- cause I get facebook not at all.
        >
        > So should I! But that's because I know a little about creating my own
        > web sites and I get more than enough interesting correspondents as a
        > result of that.
        >
        > I regard Facebook and Twitter as web sites for those that don't know
        > how to produce their own. What am I missing?
        >
        > Greg
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
          Don wrote:
          > It isn't that I can't make a facebook page or post to it ... it just
          > seems like a completely disjointed means of communication to me. I get
          > that you can find a long lost friend or create an event. But the noise
          > to content ratio is over the top. That is what I am saying.

          Add to the the problem of accounts being hijacked and it was all the
          reason I needed to delete my FB account.
          -Mike

          --

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        • jeff
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
            Facebook, Twitter and many other 'social' sites are simply ways to
            program the masses, and to make money off ads.

            People get addicted to that stuff waiting the next on-line game,
            texting, posting nonsense.

            it is a time filler and not very productive unless you are a trendy
            advertiser. It invades the entire life of those into it.

            I have accounts on both but I only use them to keep contact with my
            genealogical extended family.

            I do post photographs at Flickr. but that at least is WORK I have done,
            not just stuff passed around.

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
              jeff wrote:
              > People get addicted
              > It invades the entire life of those into it.
              > I only use them to keep contact with my
              > genealogical extended family.

              I fully agree. I used to be a menber for a short time, as some in my
              family don't do blogs and sometimes post interesting accounts and
              pictures there but I cancelled it - the drawbacks far outweighed all the
              advantages.

              I see similarities in other things. My daughter had a mobile phone when
              in first grade of primary school, a basic one to make calls with. She
              never had a gameboy or playstation, at least not from me or with my
              consent. My nephew, who is a successful professor, gave his daughter an
              Iphone at about the same age but forbade her to use the phone. How silly
              is that?