Paul McFedries

  • edward
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
      To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
      Paul McFedries has a new book out. "The Facebook Guide For People Over 50"
      Ed

    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
        I should probably buy it -- cause I get facebook not at all.

        On 12/11/2010 1:50 PM, edward wrote:

        > To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
        > Paul McFedries has a new book out. "The Facebook Guide For People Over 50"
        > Ed
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
          Hi Don,

          On 11 Dec 10 19:02 Don <don@...> said:
          > I should probably buy it -- cause I get facebook not at all.

          So should I! But that's because I know a little about creating my own
          web sites and I get more than enough interesting correspondents as a
          result of that.

          I regard Facebook and Twitter as web sites for those that don't know
          how to produce their own. What am I missing?

          Greg
        • Don
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
            It isn't that I can't make a facebook page or post to it ... it just
            seems like a completely disjointed means of communication to me. I get
            that you can find a long lost friend or create an event. But the noise
            to content ratio is over the top. That is what I am saying.

            On 12/11/2010 2:16 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:
            > Hi Don,
            >
            > On 11 Dec 10 19:02 Don <don@...> said:
            >> I should probably buy it -- cause I get facebook not at all.
            >
            > So should I! But that's because I know a little about creating my own
            > web sites and I get more than enough interesting correspondents as a
            > result of that.
            >
            > I regard Facebook and Twitter as web sites for those that don't know
            > how to produce their own. What am I missing?
            >
            > Greg
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
              Don wrote:
              > It isn't that I can't make a facebook page or post to it ... it just
              > seems like a completely disjointed means of communication to me. I get
              > that you can find a long lost friend or create an event. But the noise
              > to content ratio is over the top. That is what I am saying.

              Add to the the problem of accounts being hijacked and it was all the
              reason I needed to delete my FB account.
              -Mike

              --

              Morgantown WV

              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
            • jeff
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
                Facebook, Twitter and many other 'social' sites are simply ways to
                program the masses, and to make money off ads.

                People get addicted to that stuff waiting the next on-line game,
                texting, posting nonsense.

                it is a time filler and not very productive unless you are a trendy
                advertiser. It invades the entire life of those into it.

                I have accounts on both but I only use them to keep contact with my
                genealogical extended family.

                I do post photographs at Flickr. but that at least is WORK I have done,
                not just stuff passed around.

                Jeff
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
                  jeff wrote:
                  > People get addicted
                  > It invades the entire life of those into it.
                  > I only use them to keep contact with my
                  > genealogical extended family.

                  I fully agree. I used to be a menber for a short time, as some in my
                  family don't do blogs and sometimes post interesting accounts and
                  pictures there but I cancelled it - the drawbacks far outweighed all the
                  advantages.

                  I see similarities in other things. My daughter had a mobile phone when
                  in first grade of primary school, a basic one to make calls with. She
                  never had a gameboy or playstation, at least not from me or with my
                  consent. My nephew, who is a successful professor, gave his daughter an
                  Iphone at about the same age but forbade her to use the phone. How silly
                  is that?