Re: [NTO] machine errors

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2010
      Don wrote:
      > Sorry to bug all of you. I tried a program a while ago and didn't
      like
      > it (not positive of the name) but it was a media player. Today I
      > uninstalled it and all manner of problems have followed. First I was
      > unable to run ANY programs. I did a safe start and then restored
      to an
      > earlier point and then I got most programs back, but a couple of
      > programs won't run still. The one I really want/need it RaceTab from
      > http://racetab.org -- on restart it will simply not start. I get a
      > dialog pop up that says RaceTab 3 Beta has encountered a problem and
      > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were
      in the
      > middle of something, the information you were working on might be
      lost.

      > I have tried re-installing the program and that doesn't help. I
      > installed an earlier version, that doesn't help. I am just stuck.
      The
      > uninstall of the media program said something about clearing registry
      > entries -- I have a hunch it somehow damaged my registry file??
      >
      > Thoughts, help, suggestions as I use RaceTab almost as much as NoteTab
      > (which thankfully does work).

      Don,

      How do you feel about Registry Cleaners, there are several good(free)
      ones available.

      If that doesn't help you could try reinstalling the Media Player then
      use REVO Uninstaller, free version, to uninstall it. REVO has a
      feature to do an additional search of the registry for any/all traces
      of an install and gives you an opportunity to delete those traces.

      If that doesn't help you might try restoring to an even earlier
      version of the registry.

      ºvº SL_day# 330 - created 2010.11.26_17.43.28

      The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken
      seriously.
      • Hubert Humphrey

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
        Hi
        just a thought have you tried reinstalling race tab on top of you present
        version.
        Once you get it back the way you want try
        http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
        the free version.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > Sorry to bug all of you. I tried a program a while ago and didn't like
        > it (not positive of the name) but it was a media player. Today I
        > uninstalled it and all manner of problems have followed. First I was
        > unable to run ANY programs. I did a safe start and then restored to an
        > earlier point and then I got most programs back, but a couple of
        > programs won't run still. The one I really want/need it RaceTab from
        > http://racetab.org -- on restart it will simply not start. I get a
        > dialog pop up that says RaceTab 3 Beta has encountered a problem and
        > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the
        > middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
        >
        > I have tried re-installing the program and that doesn't help. I
        > installed an earlier version, that doesn't help. I am just stuck. The
        > uninstall of the media program said something about clearing registry
        > entries -- I have a hunch it somehow damaged my registry file??
        >
        > Thoughts, help, suggestions as I use RaceTab almost as much as NoteTab
        > (which thankfully does work).

      • Don
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
          On 11/27/2010 7:51 AM, Dave wrote:
          > Hi
          > just a thought have you tried reinstalling race tab on top of you present
          > version.
          > Once you get it back the way you want try
          > http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
          > the free version.
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          Hi,

          Thanks for the answers. I would uninstall and install -- nothing --
          error (it affected two programs that I am aware of that I use daily,
          Jing Project from TechSmith and RaceTab from http://racetab.org). Each
          would just give me that error. I also got the error for couple of Dell
          files too, one of which I wanted to dump anyway - Dell Control Point -
          clunky way to manage wireless so that moved me to get rid of it. What I
          finally figured out that worked was this:
          1. delete the program and any shortcuts to it
          2. shut down windows and restart
          3. then install and I'm back up and running.

          For me these two programs are used nearly as much as notetab -- so not
          nice to have them down.

          Thanks again for the help everyone!

          Don
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
            Op 27/11/2010 18:11, schreef ...
            > Once you get it back the way you want try
            >> http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
            >> the free version.

            Speaking of back-ups. Someone with a negative experience concerning
            Windows built-in back-up program?

            And, coming back to Windows from Apple, is there a back-up program - so
            far I didn't found it - that allow to boot from the back-up.
            I had such a program under Apple, and is one of the few things I liked.
            --
            Adrien
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
              Adrien Verlee wrote:
              > is there a back-up program - so
              > far I didn't found it - that allow to boot from the back-up.

              Assuming you are running eXPerimental or up you are ridiculously limited
              in what you can do. You can't copy system files while the computer is
              running (and obvioulsy not while it's not, so you're stuck). Assuming
              you have FAT32 partitions, not NTFS, you could boot Win98 and use that
              to mirror the system partition. You will then just have to swap drives
              to go.

              In fact that's what I do. I always have two drives with two primary
              partitions under Win98, so they become C: and D:. My system partion is
              E: and I have a small drive with just one primary partition as backup.
              Inserted as second drive it becomes D:, and, with W98 not restricting
              what I can do as much as the newer Big Brother OSs, I can copy all of E:
              to D:. Should serious trouble arise, I just insert that backup drive as
              a third drive, have it become E:, boot from there, and do any repairs
              necessary.

              For that alone, my system partition stays FAT32 even under XP, although
              there I do use NTFS for huge data partitions.

              You can use proprietary special software to achieve the same aim, but it
              will never be as clear and straightforward as the simple solution. In
              general you can always achieve more, if you understand what you are
              doing.