machine errors

  • Don
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2010
      Sorry to bug all of you. I tried a program a while ago and didn't like
      it (not positive of the name) but it was a media player. Today I
      uninstalled it and all manner of problems have followed. First I was
      unable to run ANY programs. I did a safe start and then restored to an
      earlier point and then I got most programs back, but a couple of
      programs won't run still. The one I really want/need it RaceTab from
      http://racetab.org -- on restart it will simply not start. I get a
      dialog pop up that says RaceTab 3 Beta has encountered a problem and
      needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the
      middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

      I have tried re-installing the program and that doesn't help. I
      installed an earlier version, that doesn't help. I am just stuck. The
      uninstall of the media program said something about clearing registry
      entries -- I have a hunch it somehow damaged my registry file??

      Thoughts, help, suggestions as I use RaceTab almost as much as NoteTab
      (which thankfully does work).
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2010
        Don wrote:
        > Sorry to bug all of you. I tried a program a while ago and didn't
        like
        > it (not positive of the name) but it was a media player. Today I
        > uninstalled it and all manner of problems have followed. First I was
        > unable to run ANY programs. I did a safe start and then restored
        to an
        > earlier point and then I got most programs back, but a couple of
        > programs won't run still. The one I really want/need it RaceTab from
        > http://racetab.org -- on restart it will simply not start. I get a
        > dialog pop up that says RaceTab 3 Beta has encountered a problem and
        > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were
        in the
        > middle of something, the information you were working on might be
        lost.

        > I have tried re-installing the program and that doesn't help. I
        > installed an earlier version, that doesn't help. I am just stuck.
        The
        > uninstall of the media program said something about clearing registry
        > entries -- I have a hunch it somehow damaged my registry file??
        >
        > Thoughts, help, suggestions as I use RaceTab almost as much as NoteTab
        > (which thankfully does work).

        Don,

        How do you feel about Registry Cleaners, there are several good(free)
        ones available.

        If that doesn't help you could try reinstalling the Media Player then
        use REVO Uninstaller, free version, to uninstall it. REVO has a
        feature to do an additional search of the registry for any/all traces
        of an install and gives you an opportunity to delete those traces.

        If that doesn't help you might try restoring to an even earlier
        version of the registry.

        ºvº SL_day# 330 - created 2010.11.26_17.43.28

        The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken
        seriously.
        • Hubert Humphrey

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
          Hi
          just a thought have you tried reinstalling race tab on top of you present
          version.
          Once you get it back the way you want try
          http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
          the free version.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > Sorry to bug all of you. I tried a program a while ago and didn't like
          > it (not positive of the name) but it was a media player. Today I
          > uninstalled it and all manner of problems have followed. First I was
          > unable to run ANY programs. I did a safe start and then restored to an
          > earlier point and then I got most programs back, but a couple of
          > programs won't run still. The one I really want/need it RaceTab from
          > http://racetab.org -- on restart it will simply not start. I get a
          > dialog pop up that says RaceTab 3 Beta has encountered a problem and
          > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the
          > middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
          >
          > I have tried re-installing the program and that doesn't help. I
          > installed an earlier version, that doesn't help. I am just stuck. The
          > uninstall of the media program said something about clearing registry
          > entries -- I have a hunch it somehow damaged my registry file??
          >
          > Thoughts, help, suggestions as I use RaceTab almost as much as NoteTab
          > (which thankfully does work).

        • Don
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
            On 11/27/2010 7:51 AM, Dave wrote:
            > Hi
            > just a thought have you tried reinstalling race tab on top of you present
            > version.
            > Once you get it back the way you want try
            > http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
            > the free version.
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            Hi,

            Thanks for the answers. I would uninstall and install -- nothing --
            error (it affected two programs that I am aware of that I use daily,
            Jing Project from TechSmith and RaceTab from http://racetab.org). Each
            would just give me that error. I also got the error for couple of Dell
            files too, one of which I wanted to dump anyway - Dell Control Point -
            clunky way to manage wireless so that moved me to get rid of it. What I
            finally figured out that worked was this:
            1. delete the program and any shortcuts to it
            2. shut down windows and restart
            3. then install and I'm back up and running.

            For me these two programs are used nearly as much as notetab -- so not
            nice to have them down.

            Thanks again for the help everyone!

            Don
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
              Op 27/11/2010 18:11, schreef ...
              > Once you get it back the way you want try
              >> http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
              >> the free version.

              Speaking of back-ups. Someone with a negative experience concerning
              Windows built-in back-up program?

              And, coming back to Windows from Apple, is there a back-up program - so
              far I didn't found it - that allow to boot from the back-up.
              I had such a program under Apple, and is one of the few things I liked.
              --
              Adrien
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2010
                Adrien Verlee wrote:
                > is there a back-up program - so
                > far I didn't found it - that allow to boot from the back-up.

                Assuming you are running eXPerimental or up you are ridiculously limited
                in what you can do. You can't copy system files while the computer is
                running (and obvioulsy not while it's not, so you're stuck). Assuming
                you have FAT32 partitions, not NTFS, you could boot Win98 and use that
                to mirror the system partition. You will then just have to swap drives
                to go.

                In fact that's what I do. I always have two drives with two primary
                partitions under Win98, so they become C: and D:. My system partion is
                E: and I have a small drive with just one primary partition as backup.
                Inserted as second drive it becomes D:, and, with W98 not restricting
                what I can do as much as the newer Big Brother OSs, I can copy all of E:
                to D:. Should serious trouble arise, I just insert that backup drive as
                a third drive, have it become E:, boot from there, and do any repairs
                necessary.

                For that alone, my system partition stays FAT32 even under XP, although
                there I do use NTFS for huge data partitions.

                You can use proprietary special software to achieve the same aim, but it
                will never be as clear and straightforward as the simple solution. In
                general you can always achieve more, if you understand what you are
                doing.