Re: [NTO] 20 Things I Learned

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
      loro wrote:
      > it's about making it work and not leave the site unusable.

      Exactly. I now tried it in my full set of four browsers, though not the
      new ones on the eXPerimental machine, I'd have to boot first.

      Netscape 4.8 with NO CSS and NO graphics. Yes you're right, there is
      some content and it is legible. But a fallback to barest HTML can be
      much better.

      Firefox 1.5.0.12 and IE 5.5: Totally illegible and nearly unusable. At
      least half the content is written somewhere outside the window with no
      scrolling provided. The reason seems to be that, of course, scripting is
      off. Sorry but this is NO acceptable fallback, it's a sham and a
      disgrace.

      Opera 9.27. This is my browser for viewing things as the "designer"
      wanted them to. No minimum font size, no minimal colour contrast,
      nothing forbidden. Alright, now I see something somewhat akin to a
      legible layout.

      So I stand by my first statement, this page has no decent fallback and
      needs all the bells and whistles just to provide the bare minimum of
      functionality. It's a throwback to the browser wars of the early
      nineties and the "designer" has learnt nothing whatsoever from that
      debacle.

      Alright, so I am a Scrooge and a Luddite, but new for modernity's sake
      is NOT better. Functionality rules.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
        Axel Berger wrote:
        >Firefox 1.5.0.12 and IE 5.5: Totally illegible and nearly unusable.

        Yeah, newer browsers are harder. The problem is that for a long time
        IIRC Opera was the only browser that followed the CSS guidelines and
        offered an easy way for the user the disable CSS. FF does that too
        now. I don't remember when that option was added, but it must have
        been later than 1.5. All the burden of graceful degradation isn't
        supposed to be carried by the author. The amount of so called
        "philters" needed to serve specific style rules to fairly new browser
        would be humongous, if it would even be possible to to it. Not to
        speak of keeping such a monster updated. It wasn't intended to be
        this way, that we would be forced to use hacks.

        >Alright, so I am a Scrooge and a Luddite, but new for modernity's sake
        >is NOT better. Functionality rules.

        Tell me, how do you go about supporting old browsers that only
        understand HTTP 1.0? Or maybe your altruism includes even HTTP 0.9? :-P

        Anyway, I didn't post this as a reason to have yet another discussion
        about this, it never goes anywhere. Just thought it was interesting
        to get a peek of the future and wanted to share. Because believe me,
        the future is coming either we like it or not. That the site also
        happens to be informative doesn't hurt IMO, I learnt something.

        Axel, you are a master in turning a topic to into what you want to
        talk about and away from the original intention with the post. Next
        time I won't bite. I'll try to better myself. Promise! ;-)

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > Axel, you are a master in turning a topic to into what
          > you want to talk about and away from the original intention
          > with the post.

          Point taken.