20 Things I Learned

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
      I post this on NTO instead of HTML because I think it can be
      interesting for everyone too get a peek of what the future web
      brings. It's a site showcasing HTML5 and, yes, there is a little bit
      of discrete marketing too. It's sleek, cute and I learnt a thing or
      two. The other 18 I already knew. ;-o)

      You need a very recent browser. They tell you if yours is too old or
      to crappy. Maybe it's time I upgrade my FF because it failed and so
      did Opera, but I expect the latest do handle it. I used Safari Windows.

      20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web
      http://20thingsilearned.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
        loro wrote:
        > You need a very recent browser.

        In that case, it's NOT html5. Graceful degradition and full basic
        functionality without support for added glitz and functionality are
        essential and obligatory parts of correct HTML5. That site failed -
        dismally.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
          At 22:59 2010-11-18, Axel Berger wrote:
          >loro wrote:
          > > You need a very recent browser.
          >
          >In that case, it's NOT html5. Graceful degradition and full basic
          >functionality without support for added glitz and functionality are
          >essential and obligatory parts of correct HTML5. That site failed -
          >dismally.

          Glad you liked it. :-)

          I can read and navigate the site perfectly fine in IE5 and so I can
          in OffByOne that doesn't support anything except plain old HTML.
          Graceful degradation isn't about making things look exactly the same
          and work exactly the same way in every user agent, it's about making
          it work and not leave the site unusable.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2010
            loro wrote:
            > it's about making it work and not leave the site unusable.

            Exactly. I now tried it in my full set of four browsers, though not the
            new ones on the eXPerimental machine, I'd have to boot first.

            Netscape 4.8 with NO CSS and NO graphics. Yes you're right, there is
            some content and it is legible. But a fallback to barest HTML can be
            much better.

            Firefox 1.5.0.12 and IE 5.5: Totally illegible and nearly unusable. At
            least half the content is written somewhere outside the window with no
            scrolling provided. The reason seems to be that, of course, scripting is
            off. Sorry but this is NO acceptable fallback, it's a sham and a
            disgrace.

            Opera 9.27. This is my browser for viewing things as the "designer"
            wanted them to. No minimum font size, no minimal colour contrast,
            nothing forbidden. Alright, now I see something somewhat akin to a
            legible layout.

            So I stand by my first statement, this page has no decent fallback and
            needs all the bells and whistles just to provide the bare minimum of
            functionality. It's a throwback to the browser wars of the early
            nineties and the "designer" has learnt nothing whatsoever from that
            debacle.

            Alright, so I am a Scrooge and a Luddite, but new for modernity's sake
            is NOT better. Functionality rules.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
              Axel Berger wrote:
              >Firefox 1.5.0.12 and IE 5.5: Totally illegible and nearly unusable.

              Yeah, newer browsers are harder. The problem is that for a long time
              IIRC Opera was the only browser that followed the CSS guidelines and
              offered an easy way for the user the disable CSS. FF does that too
              now. I don't remember when that option was added, but it must have
              been later than 1.5. All the burden of graceful degradation isn't
              supposed to be carried by the author. The amount of so called
              "philters" needed to serve specific style rules to fairly new browser
              would be humongous, if it would even be possible to to it. Not to
              speak of keeping such a monster updated. It wasn't intended to be
              this way, that we would be forced to use hacks.

              >Alright, so I am a Scrooge and a Luddite, but new for modernity's sake
              >is NOT better. Functionality rules.

              Tell me, how do you go about supporting old browsers that only
              understand HTTP 1.0? Or maybe your altruism includes even HTTP 0.9? :-P

              Anyway, I didn't post this as a reason to have yet another discussion
              about this, it never goes anywhere. Just thought it was interesting
              to get a peek of the future and wanted to share. Because believe me,
              the future is coming either we like it or not. That the site also
              happens to be informative doesn't hurt IMO, I learnt something.

              Axel, you are a master in turning a topic to into what you want to
              talk about and away from the original intention with the post. Next
              time I won't bite. I'll try to better myself. Promise! ;-)

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
                loro wrote:
                > Axel, you are a master in turning a topic to into what
                > you want to talk about and away from the original intention
                > with the post.

                Point taken.