Re: [NTO] looking for ebook organizer (and have great movie cataloguer) - solved

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
      Torben Joergensen wrote:
      >I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen.

      Yeah, though I didn't know I was. Thanks for explaining.

      >You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

      That's the problem. Shops hardly have a thing anymore and the stuff
      they actually have you have to fight to get a look at. They don't
      want to break the package! When it comes to e-book readers I haven't
      seen them in shops yet. Ordering over the net is the only solution.
      Pretty much sucks.

      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
        loro wrote:
        > Ordering over the net is the only solution. Pretty much sucks.

        That depends. In an ideal world you're right. On the other hand, how
        much do you understand by just looking - they'll hardly let you sit down
        and use it for half an hour. And the so called Fachverkäufer (Not even
        LEO knows an equivalent term. It means knowledgeable sales person,
        educated about the stuff they sell.) are a joke or a chimera. On the net
        OTOH you do find meaningful tests and enlightening comments from actual
        users. The best thing would be to find someone who's already got one and
        ask them.

        For me a thing like that would need a screen with a size of A4, not A5
        like the ipad (they mostly quote outer size for that, not the actual
        screen). The resolution needs to be at least 768X1024 (a fax is ca.
        1600x2400) and scrolling backwards and forwards has to be quick, i.e. no
        epaper. Annotation for PDF is another must.

        I wouldn't dream of using something like for anything, books and
        magazines, that's easily available on paper. But I get very many
        scientific mags and articles from them free through the university and
        would love to be able to read them in comfort.

        I don't need gaming, browsing and whatnot - for all that a real computer
        is fine.

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
          Axel Berger wrote:
          >On the other hand, how
          >much do you understand by just looking

          I may be stoopid but I know what I like!

          Lotta
        • Torben Joergensen
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
            Hi Lotta,

            I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
            of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
            jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
            Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

            Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
            e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
            what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
            understand what I'm trying to say here.

            --
            Torben

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
              Torben Joergensen wrote:
              >I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
              >of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
              >jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
              >Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

              That's very nice of you, but I'm afraid I'm too shy for IRL
              encounters anyway. ;-o)

              >Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
              >e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
              >what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
              >understand what I'm trying to say here.

              No no, I didn't take it that way at all. Hope something I said didn't
              make you think so. I'm genuinely grateful for the information. You've
              helped me a lot with this and given me a few new ideas.

              All these portable things are mainly summer toys for me and the
              summer is 7 months away. Come that time, maybe prices will be lower
              and more stuff available in shops so I can check some out physically.
              You've given me much to ponder until then.

              BTW that eKitaab was rather nice but turned out to be abandoned.
              Found two others that could work, simple but OK. eLibrary (another SF
              project) and the freeware bookTome.

              http://www.openelibrary.org/
              http://booktome.shanemca.com/