Re: [NTO] Next peculiar computer problem

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
      --- On Wed, 10/6/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

      > > fw7oaks wrote:
      > >
      > >DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE,
      >
      > Rubbish (sorry).

      While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play 'safe than sorry' since we are all not as clever, or perhaps lucky, as you.

      fw
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
        Seems like we have a consensus here, so off to the computer shop to
        by a power supply I go.

        > > fw7oaks wrote:
        >While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play
        >'safe than sorry'

        I actually am close to an idiot when it comes to hardware, so I
        appreciate all hints and warnings. I realize in hindsight that the
        power supply is the likely culprit when the juice doesn't get all the
        way, but I wasn't able to figure that our for myself, so you can see
        I'm not too experienced with fixing things.

        Thanks to all!

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
          At 13:15 2010-10-06, Lotta wrote:
          > I soon
          >realized though there was a delay before the computer let itself be
          >powered on after the hit the main switch that lets power on to all my
          >gear. This waiting time steadily increases. To begin with it was some
          >10 seconds, now it's up in close to 15 minutes.

          I just wanted to say thank you to those who helped and let you know
          your suggestion about a bad power supply was right.

          I of course procrastinated. At last the time lapse was at least half
          an hour. Then I stopped to switch off the main power at night and the
          computer powered up quickly every mornings, which let me
          procrastinate some more. Yesterday I switched off the main power by
          mistake and after that the computer didn't want to power up at all,
          no matter how long I waited. So today I did what you told me and
          bought a new power supply and everything is dandy.

          Happy happy! :-)
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
            loro wrote:
            > which let me procrastinate some more.

            That's what I had planned for today. But now it's getting dark outside
            and I think I'll do it tomorrow instead.