Re: [NTO] Next peculiar computer problem

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > the easy solution of getting an inexpensive new one.

      One point I forgot:
      Before discarding the old one, cut off all the power cords. New power
      supplies come with far too few hard-drive and CD leads for my needs and
      I need to solder additional ones. Those have to come from somewhere.

      Axel
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
        --- On Wed, 10/6/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

        > > fw7oaks wrote:
        > >
        > >DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE,
        >
        > Rubbish (sorry).

        While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play 'safe than sorry' since we are all not as clever, or perhaps lucky, as you.

        fw
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
          Seems like we have a consensus here, so off to the computer shop to
          by a power supply I go.

          > > fw7oaks wrote:
          >While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play
          >'safe than sorry'

          I actually am close to an idiot when it comes to hardware, so I
          appreciate all hints and warnings. I realize in hindsight that the
          power supply is the likely culprit when the juice doesn't get all the
          way, but I wasn't able to figure that our for myself, so you can see
          I'm not too experienced with fixing things.

          Thanks to all!

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
            At 13:15 2010-10-06, Lotta wrote:
            > I soon
            >realized though there was a delay before the computer let itself be
            >powered on after the hit the main switch that lets power on to all my
            >gear. This waiting time steadily increases. To begin with it was some
            >10 seconds, now it's up in close to 15 minutes.

            I just wanted to say thank you to those who helped and let you know
            your suggestion about a bad power supply was right.

            I of course procrastinated. At last the time lapse was at least half
            an hour. Then I stopped to switch off the main power at night and the
            computer powered up quickly every mornings, which let me
            procrastinate some more. Yesterday I switched off the main power by
            mistake and after that the computer didn't want to power up at all,
            no matter how long I waited. So today I did what you told me and
            bought a new power supply and everything is dandy.

            Happy happy! :-)
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > which let me procrastinate some more.

              That's what I had planned for today. But now it's getting dark outside
              and I think I'll do it tomorrow instead.