Re: [NTO] Next peculiar computer problem

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
      Hi
      unplug everything attached to the power supply except the processor fan and
      check if anything changes, if it is still the same go and get a new power
      supply, the power supplies have a start up resistor that goes high and then
      gets hard to start , as a side issue make sure the supply is not full of
      dust if you have a vacuum that can be reversed and blow air use that..
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
        loro wrote:
        > It takes ages for it to power on.

        This is a simple and common problem. The regulation and switching in
        your power supply unit is powered from the seondary low-voltage side
        creating a hen and egg problem on switching on. There is a big high
        resistance resistor from the primary to the secondary side bootstrapping
        the process with a very ow current. This resistor ages and becomes
        non-conducting.

        > I have all my gear plugged into two power bars with switches,
        That proves it. In pure standby aka soft-off that part would stay
        powered. It is quite common for power supplies that have worked
        faultlessly for years not to restart after a blown fuse or a power
        outage.

        This problem is supposed to be very easy to fix. In practice I have
        failed to find that resistor in faulty units and after some time have
        given up rsorting to the easy solution of getting an inexpensive (not
        outrightly cheap) new one.

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
          fw7oaks wrote:
          > DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE,

          Rubbish (sorry). After disconnecting from the mains and waiting a
          quarter of an hour (or half a minute more typically) everything in there
          is quite safe. Do not change anything and power it up again, unless
          fairly sure what you're doing, of course, but paranoia is not warranted
          here. I have taken apart and reassembled all my toys from at least age
          five onward and I'm not going to stop now.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > the easy solution of getting an inexpensive new one.

            One point I forgot:
            Before discarding the old one, cut off all the power cords. New power
            supplies come with far too few hard-drive and CD leads for my needs and
            I need to solder additional ones. Those have to come from somewhere.

            Axel
          • fw7oaks
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
              --- On Wed, 10/6/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

              > > fw7oaks wrote:
              > >
              > >DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE,
              >
              > Rubbish (sorry).

              While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play 'safe than sorry' since we are all not as clever, or perhaps lucky, as you.

              fw
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                Seems like we have a consensus here, so off to the computer shop to
                by a power supply I go.

                > > fw7oaks wrote:
                >While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play
                >'safe than sorry'

                I actually am close to an idiot when it comes to hardware, so I
                appreciate all hints and warnings. I realize in hindsight that the
                power supply is the likely culprit when the juice doesn't get all the
                way, but I wasn't able to figure that our for myself, so you can see
                I'm not too experienced with fixing things.

                Thanks to all!

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
                  At 13:15 2010-10-06, Lotta wrote:
                  > I soon
                  >realized though there was a delay before the computer let itself be
                  >powered on after the hit the main switch that lets power on to all my
                  >gear. This waiting time steadily increases. To begin with it was some
                  >10 seconds, now it's up in close to 15 minutes.

                  I just wanted to say thank you to those who helped and let you know
                  your suggestion about a bad power supply was right.

                  I of course procrastinated. At last the time lapse was at least half
                  an hour. Then I stopped to switch off the main power at night and the
                  computer powered up quickly every mornings, which let me
                  procrastinate some more. Yesterday I switched off the main power by
                  mistake and after that the computer didn't want to power up at all,
                  no matter how long I waited. So today I did what you told me and
                  bought a new power supply and everything is dandy.

                  Happy happy! :-)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
                    loro wrote:
                    > which let me procrastinate some more.

                    That's what I had planned for today. But now it's getting dark outside
                    and I think I'll do it tomorrow instead.