Next peculiar computer problem

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
      This feels as crazy as the time my car started all by itself and
      drove out on clay field with me and the dog chasing after it in the
      dark. It wasn't funny to call for help and explain that! The looks I
      got when help arrived weren't funny either, considering me and the
      dog were covered in mud from top to toe, having tripped over more
      than once in the wet clay. Well, the dog might willingly have rolled
      around a bit. I didn't. That it was raining heavily didn't improve
      our looks. Neither did me being dressed for a party.

      I soon stopped to tell people about what had happened because of
      their reactions. It took years before I got the explanation, or sort
      of an explanation anyway. Stories of parked cars starting by
      themselves and driving into other cars turned up in the papers. They
      were all of the same make, and it turned they were incumbered with a
      manufacturing fault that made this possible in very damp weather. My
      car was of another make, but it must have had a similar fault. The
      circumstances were right, it had been raining constantly for days. I
      kept the car for many years and it never happen again.

      Now, to the point. I have sort of the reversed problem with my
      computer. It takes ages for it to power on. Note, not to boot, just
      to power on. It started early this summer. Nothing happened when I
      pushed the power button. I had to push it several times for it so
      work. I thought something was wrong with the button itself. I soon
      realized though there was a delay before the computer let itself be
      powered on after the hit the main switch that lets power on to all my
      gear. This waiting time steadily increases. To begin with it was some
      10 seconds, now it's up in close to 15 minutes. When enough time has
      passed I hear a crack in the speakers that lets me know power is now
      available and I can turn the computer on.

      My computer works flawlessly apart from this. About 3 years old,
      never had a problem.

      I have all my gear plugged into two power bars with switches,
      connected in series. Everything else gets power immediately when I
      hit the switch, and why wouldn't it? Nevertheless I've tries to move
      the PC plug from one bar to another but that of course didn't help.

      Lotta - not crazy, just having interesting and unusual problems. :-)
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
        Op 6-okt-10, om 14:15 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

        > Now, to the point. I have sort of the reversed problem with my
        > computer. It takes ages for it to power on. Note, not to boot, just
        > to power on. It started early this summer. Nothing happened when I

        Damaged a cable or bad contact? Bios?

        Did you run a hardware test?

        On this pc now I have broken sensor. When that happen my computer
        slow down enormous; almost unworkable. But it is odd, when I
        reinstall my system from a backup it works again (sometimes I have to
        wait a bit) and the sensor is still broken!
        --
        Adrien
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
          Try another power supply, if that works OK, throw the old one out

          DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE, touch the wrong bit a it could be bye-bye Lotta and that would be a shame

          fw

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
            Hi
            unplug everything attached to the power supply except the processor fan and
            check if anything changes, if it is still the same go and get a new power
            supply, the power supplies have a start up resistor that goes high and then
            gets hard to start , as a side issue make sure the supply is not full of
            dust if you have a vacuum that can be reversed and blow air use that..
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > It takes ages for it to power on.

              This is a simple and common problem. The regulation and switching in
              your power supply unit is powered from the seondary low-voltage side
              creating a hen and egg problem on switching on. There is a big high
              resistance resistor from the primary to the secondary side bootstrapping
              the process with a very ow current. This resistor ages and becomes
              non-conducting.

              > I have all my gear plugged into two power bars with switches,
              That proves it. In pure standby aka soft-off that part would stay
              powered. It is quite common for power supplies that have worked
              faultlessly for years not to restart after a blown fuse or a power
              outage.

              This problem is supposed to be very easy to fix. In practice I have
              failed to find that resistor in faulty units and after some time have
              given up rsorting to the easy solution of getting an inexpensive (not
              outrightly cheap) new one.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                fw7oaks wrote:
                > DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE,

                Rubbish (sorry). After disconnecting from the mains and waiting a
                quarter of an hour (or half a minute more typically) everything in there
                is quite safe. Do not change anything and power it up again, unless
                fairly sure what you're doing, of course, but paranoia is not warranted
                here. I have taken apart and reassembled all my toys from at least age
                five onward and I'm not going to stop now.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > the easy solution of getting an inexpensive new one.

                  One point I forgot:
                  Before discarding the old one, cut off all the power cords. New power
                  supplies come with far too few hard-drive and CD leads for my needs and
                  I need to solder additional ones. Those have to come from somewhere.

                  Axel
                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                    --- On Wed, 10/6/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                    > > fw7oaks wrote:
                    > >
                    > >DON'T OPEN THE OLD ONE,
                    >
                    > Rubbish (sorry).

                    While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play 'safe than sorry' since we are all not as clever, or perhaps lucky, as you.

                    fw
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2010
                      Seems like we have a consensus here, so off to the computer shop to
                      by a power supply I go.

                      > > fw7oaks wrote:
                      >While not for a moment suggesting Lotta is an idiot I'd rather play
                      >'safe than sorry'

                      I actually am close to an idiot when it comes to hardware, so I
                      appreciate all hints and warnings. I realize in hindsight that the
                      power supply is the likely culprit when the juice doesn't get all the
                      way, but I wasn't able to figure that our for myself, so you can see
                      I'm not too experienced with fixing things.

                      Thanks to all!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
                        At 13:15 2010-10-06, Lotta wrote:
                        > I soon
                        >realized though there was a delay before the computer let itself be
                        >powered on after the hit the main switch that lets power on to all my
                        >gear. This waiting time steadily increases. To begin with it was some
                        >10 seconds, now it's up in close to 15 minutes.

                        I just wanted to say thank you to those who helped and let you know
                        your suggestion about a bad power supply was right.

                        I of course procrastinated. At last the time lapse was at least half
                        an hour. Then I stopped to switch off the main power at night and the
                        computer powered up quickly every mornings, which let me
                        procrastinate some more. Yesterday I switched off the main power by
                        mistake and after that the computer didn't want to power up at all,
                        no matter how long I waited. So today I did what you told me and
                        bought a new power supply and everything is dandy.

                        Happy happy! :-)
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 17, 2010
                          loro wrote:
                          > which let me procrastinate some more.

                          That's what I had planned for today. But now it's getting dark outside
                          and I think I'll do it tomorrow instead.