Re: [NTO] looking for ebook organizer (and have great movie cataloguer) - solved

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >Care to tell us which? That's something I too often miss and would like
      >to have. I have the full Adobe 5, but don't like it much.

      Sure. I'vee ranted about it before, that's why I didn't want to post
      the URL again unless someone asked. It's poorly named, PFD-XChange
      Viewer. Download the free version and try it out. You can do most
      things with that. You can also try the Pro features (mainly
      bookmarking), but if you save the document gets watermarked, so play
      with a copy until you know what's what.

      http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

      Lotta
    • Torben Joergensen
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 7, 2010
        Hi Lotta,

        Lotta wrote:

        > Ooo! I looked it up. Reasonably priced too. I want one now. Did you
        > order from ectaco.com?

        Well yes, I ordered the jetBook Lite from their British site:

        http://www.ectaco.co.uk

        but it were sent from US. They offer free shipping in western Europe by
        the way.

        > I see. For me it's the other way around. I seldom read fiction on
        > screen. I find it too tiring. But I do read techie books and other
        > non-fiction that is better suited for shorter reading seassions.
        > That's why I love, and need, annotation features. Actually, I didn't
        > read e-books very often at all until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a
        > million times better than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and
        > make comments in different ways. All of a sudden it worked for me to
        > read on the screen.

        I don't think that ereaders does a very good job of showing PDF files
        due to their small screen. The jetBook shrinks the pages to fit the
        screen. You can zoom in on the page, but then you are only looking at a
        part of the page at a time. This is not to my taste. But if you have the
        opportunity to change the pagesetting in the PDF file and save it at a
        size that fits to the screen it's another thing. I know some people have
        the manual for their digital camera on the ereader, handy to just do a
        look up for the features the camera have, but that you don't use that often.

        Also you can use your camera as a handheld photocopier and take pictures
        of important documents. If needed you can quickly look them up -- just
        place a copy on your ereader and off you go. Screen shots of Google
        earth, roadmaps etc. can be saved in jpg format and be viewed on the
        ereader.

        Also most ereaders just shows pictures in no more than four shades,
        which I think is not enough. The jetBook have 16 shades of grey -- not
        perfect, but a bit more detailed.

        I am waiting for ASUS to sell their Eee Tablet in Europe (8 inch screen,
        64 shades of grey -- half e-reader, half note taker, and 2 Mp camera). I
        think that will be something I would be interested of maybe buying
        depending of the price.

        --
        Torben
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 9, 2010
          Torben Joergensen wrote:
          >I am waiting for ASUS to sell their Eee Tablet in Europe (8 inch screen,
          >64 shades of grey -- half e-reader, half note taker, and 2 Mp camera). I
          >think that will be something I would be interested of maybe buying
          >depending of the price.

          I want an e-ink screen. I realized the Entaco doesn't have that
          either, luckily before I ordered one. Darn, that mini looked nice -
          and cheap. The upside is, I guess, that prizes will continue to fall.
          Come next summer, maybe they all will be more reasonably priced. She
          said hopefully.

          Lotta
        • Torben Joergensen
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 10, 2010
            Loro wrote:
            > I want an e-ink screen. I realized the Entaco doesn't have that
            either, luckily before I ordered one.

            We all have our own tastes, and this can not be discussed, however the
            e-ink screens in general are not too sharp, and do have (in my opinion)
            a annoying blink every time you turn the pages.

            The 5-inch TFT LCD screen on Ectaco jetBook is manufactured by Toshiba.
            Its VGA reflective monochrome technology enables the device to be read
            under a variety of lighting conditions without a need for back or front
            light, which causes eyestrain in typical LCD screens. And the screen
            doesn't blink when you turn the pages as with e-ink.

            The only fault with this screen is because of its reflectiveness. When
            reading in direct sunlight you may notice a slight flicker. The only way
            to circumvent this problem is by changing the way the sun reflects off
            the screen. So turning the screen or maybe even sitting in the shade
            instead of in the full sunlight could help. This problem does not occur
            when using in indoor lighting, it only occurs in extreme bright light
            conditions.

            One reviewer of the jetBook Lite had his 13 year old daughter to give
            her opinion on the ereader. This is what she wrote about the screen:

            "If you think that you're going to strain your eyes, your absolutely
            wrong; it doesn't matter if you have glasses or contacts. Your eyes
            won't get as tired as they would if you were in front of a computer
            screen. All it takes is just a simple reading light so you can read."

            I rest my case... :-)

            --
            Torben
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 10, 2010
              Torben Joergensen wrote:
              >The only fault with this screen is because of its reflectiveness.

              That the main reason I want e-ink. I want high readability outside in
              strong ligth.

              >All it takes is just a simple reading light so you can read."

              Why would a reading light be needed if it's a TFT?

              Lotta
            • Torben Joergensen
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                Hi Lotta,

                I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen. You know TFT
                screens from TV's and notebooks and maybe even mobile phones. All these
                screens are backlit or sometimes sidelit. It is the backlighting which
                tires the eyes when reading for long periods.

                The TFT screen on the jetBook is reflective and have no built-in light.
                You need some light source from the outside to see what is on the
                screen. You don't need a great amount of light to be able to read this
                type of screen. Some people can easily read the text on the jetBook just
                by the small amount of light of their note- or netbook. Not very
                practical, but this have been tested. If you are in a room with no
                lights turned on or in places where light are not available you need a
                smal reading light of some sort. That is not any different from your
                e-ink screen. This is why it is mentioned that a reading light is necessary.

                And as I told you... there is no problem in reading on the TFT screen in
                bright sunlight. You can not compare the screen on the jetBook with
                screens on cameras or mobile phones. They are different types. The only
                thing you may discover if you are reading in bright sunlight is that the
                tekst on the screen will -- sort of -- wobble a bit. Some *few* people
                finds this annoying, but if you turn the screen in a different angel in
                the sunlight it will go away. Or you can choose to sit in the shadow on
                the very hot summerdays. All reflective TFT-screens do this and thats it.

                Acctually the jetBook have a very easily viewed display that is kind on
                the eyes. So easy to see and read, jetBook Lite can be used anywhere -
                in the bright midday sun or the subdued lighting at home.
                You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

                --
                Torben

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                  Torben Joergensen wrote:
                  >I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen.

                  Yeah, though I didn't know I was. Thanks for explaining.

                  >You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

                  That's the problem. Shops hardly have a thing anymore and the stuff
                  they actually have you have to fight to get a look at. They don't
                  want to break the package! When it comes to e-book readers I haven't
                  seen them in shops yet. Ordering over the net is the only solution.
                  Pretty much sucks.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                    loro wrote:
                    > Ordering over the net is the only solution. Pretty much sucks.

                    That depends. In an ideal world you're right. On the other hand, how
                    much do you understand by just looking - they'll hardly let you sit down
                    and use it for half an hour. And the so called Fachverkäufer (Not even
                    LEO knows an equivalent term. It means knowledgeable sales person,
                    educated about the stuff they sell.) are a joke or a chimera. On the net
                    OTOH you do find meaningful tests and enlightening comments from actual
                    users. The best thing would be to find someone who's already got one and
                    ask them.

                    For me a thing like that would need a screen with a size of A4, not A5
                    like the ipad (they mostly quote outer size for that, not the actual
                    screen). The resolution needs to be at least 768X1024 (a fax is ca.
                    1600x2400) and scrolling backwards and forwards has to be quick, i.e. no
                    epaper. Annotation for PDF is another must.

                    I wouldn't dream of using something like for anything, books and
                    magazines, that's easily available on paper. But I get very many
                    scientific mags and articles from them free through the university and
                    would love to be able to read them in comfort.

                    I don't need gaming, browsing and whatnot - for all that a real computer
                    is fine.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      >On the other hand, how
                      >much do you understand by just looking

                      I may be stoopid but I know what I like!

                      Lotta
                    • Torben Joergensen
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
                        Hi Lotta,

                        I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
                        of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
                        jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
                        Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

                        Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
                        e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
                        what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
                        understand what I'm trying to say here.

                        --
                        Torben

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
                          Torben Joergensen wrote:
                          >I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
                          >of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
                          >jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
                          >Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

                          That's very nice of you, but I'm afraid I'm too shy for IRL
                          encounters anyway. ;-o)

                          >Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
                          >e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
                          >what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
                          >understand what I'm trying to say here.

                          No no, I didn't take it that way at all. Hope something I said didn't
                          make you think so. I'm genuinely grateful for the information. You've
                          helped me a lot with this and given me a few new ideas.

                          All these portable things are mainly summer toys for me and the
                          summer is 7 months away. Come that time, maybe prices will be lower
                          and more stuff available in shops so I can check some out physically.
                          You've given me much to ponder until then.

                          BTW that eKitaab was rather nice but turned out to be abandoned.
                          Found two others that could work, simple but OK. eLibrary (another SF
                          project) and the freeware bookTome.

                          http://www.openelibrary.org/
                          http://booktome.shanemca.com/