Re: [NTO] looking for ebook organizer (and have great movie cataloguer) - solved

  • Torben Joergensen
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi Lotta,

      Sorry for the delay. Had some important things to do.

      Lotta wrote:

      >Same as me. I also divide in fiction and non fiction and then after
      >subject for the non fiction books. I have them on a HD though. I have
      >very little need of synchronization and portability.

      I really don't need the portability, that is not the reason I keep my
      ebooks on a USB key. It just happened that I started to keep my ebooks
      on a USB key and have continued to do so. For me it is just a convenient
      way to store the books in one single place. But I have a small
      wordprocesser on the USB key as well, that can import the ODF-file if I
      need to be on the move and make some changes, print or whatever...

      >> > I am different to
      >> >everyone else I think. I convert all ebooks to RTF, which means I can
      >> >edit the file and finally save the file as an OpenOffice Write file
      (For
      >> >smaller file sizes).
      >
      >Must be a Danish thing! ;-)

      If you want the full story, it is like this: Six months ago I didn't
      have a ebook reader, and used a ASUS 901 to read the ebooks. The 901 is
      running Linux and I needed a wordprocessor that could be used on both
      Linux and Windows. I decided on OpenOffice (was running this on Windows
      in the first place) and because I didn't like the FBreader, I just used
      OOo Writer to read the ebooks. This is why I wanted the ebooks to be in
      ODF files.

      This autumn I got the Ectaco jetLite as a gift for by birthday by my
      wife (well, I ordered and paid it myself, but it was supposed to be a
      gift from her). In Denmark it is no more than about 4-5 months ago they
      really started to sell ebook readers, but I think there are only three
      models to choose from, and I don't want any of them. I wanted the
      jetBook Lite which is running on four AA-batteries -- batteries you can
      buy everywhere if you run out of power. The jetBook Lite will easily run
      for 20-22 hours on a set of Alkaline batteries.

      I have the same way with flashlights and cameras. I want them to run on
      AA-batteries which means that I always can get batteries somewhere if I
      should run out on power. And I only need to store one size of batteries,
      that can be used in these appliances. Normally I use rechargeable NiMh
      batteries, but I can change to Alkaline if need to.

      >> >l. But you still have the problem on how to organize your ebooks.
      >
      >Yeah, and so do you from the sound of it.

      No, not really. I am quite happy to sort and store the ebooks the same
      way you do. Normally I only read a book once, and I know most of the
      ebooks I have are mystery or espionage so often I just choose a book
      randomly that I will start to read. I have to say that I don't buy
      ebooks. As you probably know they are quite expensive to buy in Denmark.
      Many ebooks are twice the price of the same pbook! There are so many
      ebooks you can have for free, right? If there are some special books
      that I am very interested in I will normally buy the pbook, preferably
      on sale if possible.

      >> > Have you got any new thoughts
      >> >about how you would like to catalogue your ebooks?
      >
      >For me it's mainly that I'd like to extract the cover, if available,
      >and retrieve info about the book from some online database. I want a
      >browsable catalogue with details that makes the book more
      >recognizable to my feeble mind. The title isn't always enough. The be
      >able to mark books as read, not owned but on the wish list and things
      >like that would be nice and so would the possibility to add notes.
      >Filter or sort by author, subject and so on. In fact I want exactly
      >what Personal Video Database is but for books.
      >
      >I've tried a few others, but at best they handled English books.
      >Calibre did rather good with the Swedish ones I fed it.

      Still sounds to me that Calibre is the best way to go for you. However
      if I should stumble on some other program that just maybe could be of
      interest for you I will let you know.

      --
      Torben
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
        Torben Joergensen wrote:
        >This autumn I got the Ectaco jetLite as a gift for by birthday by my
        >wife (well, I ordered and paid it myself, but it was supposed to be a
        >gift from her). In Denmark it is no more than about 4-5 months ago they
        >really started to sell ebook readers, but I think there are only three
        >models to choose from, and I don't want any of them. I wanted the
        >jetBook Lite which is running on four AA-batteries -- batteries you can
        >buy everywhere if you run out of power. The jetBook Lite will easily run
        >for 20-22 hours on a set of Alkaline batteries.

        Ooo! I looked it up. Reasonably priced too. I want one now. Did you
        order from ectaco.com?

        > Normally I only read a book once, and I know most of the
        >ebooks I have are mystery or espionage so often I just choose a book
        >randomly that I will start to read.

        I see. For me it's the other way around. I seldom read fiction on
        screen. I find it too tiring. But I do read techie books and other
        non-fiction that is better suited for shorter reading seassions.
        That's why I love, and need, annotation features. Actually, I didn't
        read e-books very often at all until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a
        million times better than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and
        make comments in different ways. All of a sudden it worked for me to
        read on the screen.

        > I have to say that I don't buy
        >ebooks. As you probably know they are quite expensive to buy in Denmark.
        >Many ebooks are twice the price of the same pbook! There are so many
        >ebooks you can have for free, right?

        Duh. Here they range from the price of a pocket book to the price of
        a hardcover book. Way too much, especially given the limitations of DRM.

        >Still sounds to me that Calibre is the best way to go for you. However
        >if I should stumble on some other program that just maybe could be of
        >interest for you I will let you know.

        I'm leaning towards using Calibre to do what it does best and find
        some other program where I can enter the data manually.

        Believe it or not, but my display problem with Calibre is solved.
        It's rather strange how it happened. I installed a trial of another
        cataloguer and it wouldn't run. Gave me some Java error. I wrote to
        their support and it turned out there was a debugger which I ran and
        then I sent the log file to the support guy. He told me the problem
        was due to a ClearType tweak that only could be done by changing a
        registry value manually. Had I done this? I had not. I didn't even
        know ClearType could be tweaked. He told me to download ClearType
        Tuner from MS and let it reset all settings. Did so and the catalogue
        progam started.

        CT Tuner has a contrast setting. Turned out my contrast was set to
        very bright. A more normal setting fixed the problem with Calibre. It
        also helped with the problem I complained about earlier when I got my
        flat screen, some squiggly program fonts, among others Notetab's (MS
        Sans Serif), displaying jaggy and hard to read. They still don't look
        as crisp as on my old CRT, but I can read them. I haven't checked
        yet, but I have the same squiggly font problem on the Asus, and I bet
        the reason turns out to be the same.

        Of course a normal contrast improved reading overall. I was thinking
        I needed stronger glasses!

        ClearType Tuner can be found here. It's part of MS PowerToys for XP.

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a million times better
          > than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and make
          > comments in different ways.

          Care to tell us which? That's something I too often miss and would like
          to have. I have the full Adobe 5, but don't like it much.

          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
            Axel Berger wrote:
            >Care to tell us which? That's something I too often miss and would like
            >to have. I have the full Adobe 5, but don't like it much.

            Sure. I'vee ranted about it before, that's why I didn't want to post
            the URL again unless someone asked. It's poorly named, PFD-XChange
            Viewer. Download the free version and try it out. You can do most
            things with that. You can also try the Pro features (mainly
            bookmarking), but if you save the document gets watermarked, so play
            with a copy until you know what's what.

            http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

            Lotta
          • Torben Joergensen
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 7, 2010
              Hi Lotta,

              Lotta wrote:

              > Ooo! I looked it up. Reasonably priced too. I want one now. Did you
              > order from ectaco.com?

              Well yes, I ordered the jetBook Lite from their British site:

              http://www.ectaco.co.uk

              but it were sent from US. They offer free shipping in western Europe by
              the way.

              > I see. For me it's the other way around. I seldom read fiction on
              > screen. I find it too tiring. But I do read techie books and other
              > non-fiction that is better suited for shorter reading seassions.
              > That's why I love, and need, annotation features. Actually, I didn't
              > read e-books very often at all until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a
              > million times better than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and
              > make comments in different ways. All of a sudden it worked for me to
              > read on the screen.

              I don't think that ereaders does a very good job of showing PDF files
              due to their small screen. The jetBook shrinks the pages to fit the
              screen. You can zoom in on the page, but then you are only looking at a
              part of the page at a time. This is not to my taste. But if you have the
              opportunity to change the pagesetting in the PDF file and save it at a
              size that fits to the screen it's another thing. I know some people have
              the manual for their digital camera on the ereader, handy to just do a
              look up for the features the camera have, but that you don't use that often.

              Also you can use your camera as a handheld photocopier and take pictures
              of important documents. If needed you can quickly look them up -- just
              place a copy on your ereader and off you go. Screen shots of Google
              earth, roadmaps etc. can be saved in jpg format and be viewed on the
              ereader.

              Also most ereaders just shows pictures in no more than four shades,
              which I think is not enough. The jetBook have 16 shades of grey -- not
              perfect, but a bit more detailed.

              I am waiting for ASUS to sell their Eee Tablet in Europe (8 inch screen,
              64 shades of grey -- half e-reader, half note taker, and 2 Mp camera). I
              think that will be something I would be interested of maybe buying
              depending of the price.

              --
              Torben
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 9, 2010
                Torben Joergensen wrote:
                >I am waiting for ASUS to sell their Eee Tablet in Europe (8 inch screen,
                >64 shades of grey -- half e-reader, half note taker, and 2 Mp camera). I
                >think that will be something I would be interested of maybe buying
                >depending of the price.

                I want an e-ink screen. I realized the Entaco doesn't have that
                either, luckily before I ordered one. Darn, that mini looked nice -
                and cheap. The upside is, I guess, that prizes will continue to fall.
                Come next summer, maybe they all will be more reasonably priced. She
                said hopefully.

                Lotta
              • Torben Joergensen
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 10, 2010
                  Loro wrote:
                  > I want an e-ink screen. I realized the Entaco doesn't have that
                  either, luckily before I ordered one.

                  We all have our own tastes, and this can not be discussed, however the
                  e-ink screens in general are not too sharp, and do have (in my opinion)
                  a annoying blink every time you turn the pages.

                  The 5-inch TFT LCD screen on Ectaco jetBook is manufactured by Toshiba.
                  Its VGA reflective monochrome technology enables the device to be read
                  under a variety of lighting conditions without a need for back or front
                  light, which causes eyestrain in typical LCD screens. And the screen
                  doesn't blink when you turn the pages as with e-ink.

                  The only fault with this screen is because of its reflectiveness. When
                  reading in direct sunlight you may notice a slight flicker. The only way
                  to circumvent this problem is by changing the way the sun reflects off
                  the screen. So turning the screen or maybe even sitting in the shade
                  instead of in the full sunlight could help. This problem does not occur
                  when using in indoor lighting, it only occurs in extreme bright light
                  conditions.

                  One reviewer of the jetBook Lite had his 13 year old daughter to give
                  her opinion on the ereader. This is what she wrote about the screen:

                  "If you think that you're going to strain your eyes, your absolutely
                  wrong; it doesn't matter if you have glasses or contacts. Your eyes
                  won't get as tired as they would if you were in front of a computer
                  screen. All it takes is just a simple reading light so you can read."

                  I rest my case... :-)

                  --
                  Torben
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 10, 2010
                    Torben Joergensen wrote:
                    >The only fault with this screen is because of its reflectiveness.

                    That the main reason I want e-ink. I want high readability outside in
                    strong ligth.

                    >All it takes is just a simple reading light so you can read."

                    Why would a reading light be needed if it's a TFT?

                    Lotta
                  • Torben Joergensen
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                      Hi Lotta,

                      I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen. You know TFT
                      screens from TV's and notebooks and maybe even mobile phones. All these
                      screens are backlit or sometimes sidelit. It is the backlighting which
                      tires the eyes when reading for long periods.

                      The TFT screen on the jetBook is reflective and have no built-in light.
                      You need some light source from the outside to see what is on the
                      screen. You don't need a great amount of light to be able to read this
                      type of screen. Some people can easily read the text on the jetBook just
                      by the small amount of light of their note- or netbook. Not very
                      practical, but this have been tested. If you are in a room with no
                      lights turned on or in places where light are not available you need a
                      smal reading light of some sort. That is not any different from your
                      e-ink screen. This is why it is mentioned that a reading light is necessary.

                      And as I told you... there is no problem in reading on the TFT screen in
                      bright sunlight. You can not compare the screen on the jetBook with
                      screens on cameras or mobile phones. They are different types. The only
                      thing you may discover if you are reading in bright sunlight is that the
                      tekst on the screen will -- sort of -- wobble a bit. Some *few* people
                      finds this annoying, but if you turn the screen in a different angel in
                      the sunlight it will go away. Or you can choose to sit in the shadow on
                      the very hot summerdays. All reflective TFT-screens do this and thats it.

                      Acctually the jetBook have a very easily viewed display that is kind on
                      the eyes. So easy to see and read, jetBook Lite can be used anywhere -
                      in the bright midday sun or the subdued lighting at home.
                      You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

                      --
                      Torben

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                        Torben Joergensen wrote:
                        >I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen.

                        Yeah, though I didn't know I was. Thanks for explaining.

                        >You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

                        That's the problem. Shops hardly have a thing anymore and the stuff
                        they actually have you have to fight to get a look at. They don't
                        want to break the package! When it comes to e-book readers I haven't
                        seen them in shops yet. Ordering over the net is the only solution.
                        Pretty much sucks.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                          loro wrote:
                          > Ordering over the net is the only solution. Pretty much sucks.

                          That depends. In an ideal world you're right. On the other hand, how
                          much do you understand by just looking - they'll hardly let you sit down
                          and use it for half an hour. And the so called Fachverkäufer (Not even
                          LEO knows an equivalent term. It means knowledgeable sales person,
                          educated about the stuff they sell.) are a joke or a chimera. On the net
                          OTOH you do find meaningful tests and enlightening comments from actual
                          users. The best thing would be to find someone who's already got one and
                          ask them.

                          For me a thing like that would need a screen with a size of A4, not A5
                          like the ipad (they mostly quote outer size for that, not the actual
                          screen). The resolution needs to be at least 768X1024 (a fax is ca.
                          1600x2400) and scrolling backwards and forwards has to be quick, i.e. no
                          epaper. Annotation for PDF is another must.

                          I wouldn't dream of using something like for anything, books and
                          magazines, that's easily available on paper. But I get very many
                          scientific mags and articles from them free through the university and
                          would love to be able to read them in comfort.

                          I don't need gaming, browsing and whatnot - for all that a real computer
                          is fine.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                            Axel Berger wrote:
                            >On the other hand, how
                            >much do you understand by just looking

                            I may be stoopid but I know what I like!

                            Lotta
                          • Torben Joergensen
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
                              Hi Lotta,

                              I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
                              of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
                              jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
                              Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

                              Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
                              e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
                              what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
                              understand what I'm trying to say here.

                              --
                              Torben

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
                                Torben Joergensen wrote:
                                >I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
                                >of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
                                >jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
                                >Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

                                That's very nice of you, but I'm afraid I'm too shy for IRL
                                encounters anyway. ;-o)

                                >Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
                                >e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
                                >what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
                                >understand what I'm trying to say here.

                                No no, I didn't take it that way at all. Hope something I said didn't
                                make you think so. I'm genuinely grateful for the information. You've
                                helped me a lot with this and given me a few new ideas.

                                All these portable things are mainly summer toys for me and the
                                summer is 7 months away. Come that time, maybe prices will be lower
                                and more stuff available in shops so I can check some out physically.
                                You've given me much to ponder until then.

                                BTW that eKitaab was rather nice but turned out to be abandoned.
                                Found two others that could work, simple but OK. eLibrary (another SF
                                project) and the freeware bookTome.

                                http://www.openelibrary.org/
                                http://booktome.shanemca.com/