IE 8 display problems

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
      Greetings,
      For some reason IE 8 is not displaying properly.
      I have no clue what caused this.
      Screen shot: http://epicroadtrips.com/ie8/

      I can find no specific info on this or how to fix it.
      Nor can I find a way to simply repair/reinstall IE8.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
        Hi
        the image your showing is 1000 x 300 what do you think it should display the
        300 side should be slightly bigger have you told you web to display 1000x300
        ??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
          Dave wrote:

          > Hi
          > the image your showing is 1000 x 300 what do you think it should display
          > the 300 side should be slightly bigger have you told you web to display
          > 1000x300 ??
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          The problem which concerns me is the "blacked out" menu bar and
          favorites bar. They are not visible.
          -Mike
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
            Hi
            have you got them turned on ?? right click on bar and see ??
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
              Dave wrote:
              > Hi
              > have you got them turned on ?? right click on bar and see ??
              > THANKYOU DAVE M

              Yes.
              -mb
            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
                I see there is a thread and I am not through it yet but to me it looks like
                a resource issue..

                Have you rebooted your PC? Cleared the Internet Cache?

                How much RAM do you have in your PC?

                What operating system?

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
                  LaurieK wrote:
                  > I see there is a thread and I am not through it yet but to me it looks like
                  > a resource issue..
                  >
                  > Have you rebooted your PC? Cleared the Internet Cache?

                  Yes. This solves the probably, but temporarily.
                  > How much RAM do you have in your PC?
                  > What operating system?

                  OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                  Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
                  OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
                  System Name TOSHIBA-MB
                  System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
                  System Model TOSHIBA NB205
                  System Type X86-based PC
                  Processor x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1662 Mhz
                  BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V1.20, 4/7/2009
                  SMBIOS Version 2.4
                  Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
                  System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
                  Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
                  Locale United States
                  Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
                  User Name TOSHIBA-MB\MB
                  Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
                  Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
                  Available Physical Memory 1.15 GB
                  Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
                  Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
                  Page File Space 3.33 GB
                  Page File C:\pagefile.sys

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > I have no clue what caused this.

                    If it only happens on your pages it seems the black background you set
                    bleeds through into the menu areas. If so, this is a serious bug no
                    other IE8 setups seem to have. I'd try completely reinstalling (after
                    removing in System/Hardware) both the graphics card and IE8 as a rather
                    painless first step. If that doesn't do it, the rot in your system sits
                    deeper and the remedy will be more painful.

                    Best of luck
                    Axel
                  • LaurieK
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
                      Another option might be to update your graphics driver....
                      It honestly looks like whatever is happening its too much for the system it
                      looks like lack of resources.

                      This type of thing happens when I have large Excel Files and Power Point
                      open at the same time (doing reports and adding my charts and tables from
                      Excel to PPT)I run into system resource issues and have to reboot.

                      Its possible whatever updates or changes in IE when you updated to V8 might
                      be just too much for your system or may require an upgrade in your video
                      card or its drivers....

                      I'd check Toshiba's support site to see if there are updated drivers
                      available.

                      Not sure how old the computer is but if its older than 4 years old I would
                      bet (and I never bet higher than 25¢) I'd bet that quarter than IE8 may
                      require more resources than your system has available.

                      Especially if you can reboot and/or also clear cache and it resolves the
                      issue 'temporarily'.
                      Another option is to set up IE to empty the cache each time the browser is
                      closed..... It used to be an option in Internet Explorer I'm not sure if it
                      is still there.

                      Keep us posted.
                      Laurie

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010
                        Axel Berger wrote:
                        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > > I have no clue what caused this.
                        >
                        > If it only happens on your pages it seems the black background you set
                        > bleeds through into the menu areas.

                        It is all pages, so it must be a system problem.
                        Thanks,
                        -Mike

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010
                          LaurieK wrote:

                          > Another option might be to update your graphics driver....
                          > It honestly looks like whatever is happening its too much for the system it
                          > looks like lack of resources.
                          >
                          > This type of thing happens when I have large Excel Files and Power Point
                          > open at the same time (doing reports and adding my charts and tables from
                          > Excel to PPT)I run into system resource issues and have to reboot.
                          >
                          > Its possible whatever updates or changes in IE when you updated to V8 might
                          > be just too much for your system or may require an upgrade in your video
                          > card or its drivers....
                          >
                          > I'd check Toshiba's support site to see if there are updated drivers
                          > available.
                          >
                          > Not sure how old the computer is but if its older than 4 years old I would
                          > bet (and I never bet higher than 25¢) I'd bet that quarter than IE8 may
                          > require more resources than your system has available.
                          >
                          > Especially if you can reboot and/or also clear cache and it resolves the
                          > issue 'temporarily'.
                          > Another option is to set up IE to empty the cache each time the browser is
                          > closed..... It used to be an option in Internet Explorer I'm not sure if it
                          > is still there.

                          Howdy,
                          The laptop is only a year old.
                          And, I did no have the problem until I upgraded to IE 8.
                          I will check for updates at Toshiba's site.

                          It may just be I am taxing the system too much. I have had my space
                          cluttered a bit lately with lots of open apps and large files.

                          Thanks!
                          -Mike
                        • LaurieK
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010
                            Well that's about the same scenario as when I have a large Excel and
                            PowerPoint open at the same time.
                            Try using less apps while you are browsing... my initial reaction or thought
                            was low system resources and I stand by that ...
                            Especially if you have a lot of applications open when you are browsing....

                            :)