looking for ebook organizer (and have great movie cataloguer)

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 25 9:06 PM
      I'm looking for an ebook organizer/catataloguer. Something similar to
      the excellent movie database programs you can find, that
      automatically add data from IMBD and whatnot, posters, covers and so on.

      I haven't tried any programs out yet. Thought I should ask for advice
      first, since people here usually sit on some great software. Free is
      preferred, cheap is passable, expensive is out. It shouldn't be
      limited to PDF.

      I found this one. Haven't installed it yet, but it's something like
      this I'm looking for, I think.
      http://myebookorganizer.com/

      If someone is looking for a movie cataloguer I can recommend PVD.
      It's the cat's meow according to me. Totally free, frequently
      updated, well supported. Can't ask for more. :-)
      http://www.videodb.info/

      TIA
      Lotta
    • Torben Joergensen
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 26 7:55 AM
        Hi Lotta,

        Most people I know uses Calibre:

        http://calibre-ebook.com/

        (Calibre is an open-source library manager to view, convert and catalog
        e-books. Cross-platform (Linux, Windows and OS X))

        I think it will do everything you want, and best of all... Its free.

        If you whish you can also visit Mobileread Forums where you can get lots
        of information of Calibre, Ebook readers and download free ebooks:

        http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

        I am using Calibre to convert files for my Ectaco jetBook Lite.

        --
        Have a nice weekend,
        Torben

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 26 11:24 AM
          Torben Joergensen wrote:
          >Most people I know uses Calibre:
          >
          >http://calibre-ebook.com/

          I'll try Calibre then.

          Tack så mycket!
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 26 2:16 PM
            Torben Joergensen wrote:
            >Most people I know uses Calibre:
            >
            >http://calibre-ebook.com/

            Didn't work out too well, I'm afraid.

            The interface font is bolded and the characters crunched together, it
            looks like they are partly on top of each other. The text in the
            white "data fields" is so faint I don't even see it if I don't
            highlight it. Is this normal? I don't find a setting that lets me change fonts.

            It seems to copy books and create it's own collection on disk. I
            don't need this. I already have my own system with accompanying files
            and I don't want two copies of every book. Can this be turned off?

            Apart from the above, it looks great! But not being able to read
            either the program interface or the data is a little discouraging...
            Are there settings that I miss that would correct this?

            Lotta
          • Torben Joergensen
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 26 4:44 PM
              Tjá'ba'! Lä´get?

              If I remember correctly you are using a 10 inch ASUS (correct me if I'm
              wrong). I have Calibre on a ASUS H1000 and have absolutely no trouble in
              reading the menus or anything else. Maybe you should try to re-install
              Calibre to see if this will do any difference.

              To my knowledge there are no options to change the font settings in Calibre.

              Calibre makes its own collection on disk, but I thought this was what
              you were looking for. You can not turn this feature off, as this is the
              main reason for the program -- to save and organize your ebooks.

              I do understand you very well, though. I too have my very own way to
              organize my ebooks, but in a very simple manner. However, Calibre does a
              good job of converting books into different file formats, and this is
              for me the main reason to use it.

              I am sorry if Calibre is not to your taste, but I guess its the best
              program you can find for free.

              You will be able to get more info and way better answers from the people
              on Mobileread forum than from me. I am in no way an expert user of Calibre.

              Maybe you should have a look at eKitaab eBook Manager

              http://ebookmanager.sourceforge.net/

              (You need minimum Java SE 6.0 to run eKitaab).
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 26 5:51 PM
                >Tjá'ba'! Lä´get?

                Det är lugnt. :-)

                >If I remember correctly you are using a 10 inch ASUS (correct me if I'm
                >wrong). I have Calibre on a ASUS H1000 and have absolutely no trouble in
                >reading the menus or anything else. Maybe you should try to re-install
                >Calibre to see if this will do any difference.

                Only in the summer! I installed it on my BIG machine. This isn't a
                slight display problem as the one I complained about before. It's a
                major mess. I've seen something similar with an email program that
                was originally made for Linux, but this is worse. I don't understand
                those things, I just see it's bad.

                >I do understand you very well, though. I too have my very own way to
                >organize my ebooks, but in a very simple manner. However, Calibre does a
                >good job of converting books into different file formats, and this is
                >for me the main reason to use it.

                I read about its conversion skills, so I'll keep it for that even if
                I can't get it to work otherwise. I guess "cataloguer" is the best
                word for what I'm looking for. Something that creates a browsable database.

                >I am sorry if Calibre is not to your taste, but I guess its the best
                >program you can find for free.

                Maybe it is, could I only read the options...

                >Maybe you should have a look at eKitaab eBook Manager

                Yes, it's on the list too.

                Tack för hjälpen!
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 27 5:54 AM
                  loro wrote:
                  >Torben wrote.
                  >> However, Calibre does a
                  >> >good job of converting books into different file formats, and this is
                  >> >for me the main reason to use it.
                  >
                  >I read about its conversion skills, so I'll keep it for that even if
                  >I can't get it to work otherwise

                  I've tried that now. It did a really good job. Converted some
                  horrible epub to mobi. Their tables of contents were preserved,
                  looked just great. Was fast too.

                  I'll download an older version. Maybe the font problem is a bug in
                  the latest * hoping*.

                  Lotta
                • Torben Joergensen
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 27 3:10 PM
                    Hi Lotta,

                    I cross my fingers and wish you all the luck in the world. :-)

                    --
                    Torben

                    loro Wrote:
                    > loro wrote:
                    >> Torben wrote.
                    >>> However, Calibre does a
                    >> I read about its conversion skills, so I'll keep it for that even if
                    >> I can't get it to work otherwise
                    >
                    > I've tried that now. It did a really good job. Converted some
                    > horrible epub to mobi. Their tables of contents were preserved,
                    > looked just great. Was fast too.
                    >
                    > I'll download an older version. Maybe the font problem is a bug in
                    > the latest * hoping*.
                    >
                    > Lotta
                  • LaurieK
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 27 4:14 PM
                      Lotta,

                      I see that this thread is established but I’m reading the first…. And I’m
                      EXTREMELY interested in this thread…

                      But you mentioned a Movie database… I have a fantastic one… its 29.95 and I
                      don’t know what your opinion of expensive is but this is VERY REASONABLE for
                      all that it does.

                      You can input the UPC Code and the movie will come up, it will show easter
                      eggs, it shows actors/rolls I mean it’s a total BEAUTY and…. You can upload
                      your database online to view when you need to, keep it private and share to
                      specific people, not share at all or share with the world.

                      It has many faithful users who contribute different layouts and plugins its
                      really a dream. You can enter by name or by UPC code. There is a wish
                      list option, there’s tool to enter who you loaned the movie to with
                      reminders (I think) to retrieve them.. If you want it catalogs the last time
                      that you watched it… oh its so full feature….

                      I digress… reading on to see what we’ve discussed so far…

                      My 2¢ worth J

                      Laurie

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 27 9:21 PM
                        Torben Joergensen wrote:
                        >I cross my fingers and wish you all the luck in the world. :-)

                        Old version didn't help. But I know what it is now. It's the font
                        smoothing. If I turn off ClearType it's all OK. Odd, huh? Never seen
                        ClearType make fonts worse before and it was really, really bad.

                        BTW converting CHM to PDF is great! I have some techie books in CHM
                        format that I've meant to read and while CHM is fine for looking
                        things up, like Notetab's Help files, I hate to actually read a whole
                        book in that format. Especially since I use a PDF reader that lets me
                        overline, make notes and so on.

                        This is great. I won't let Calibe manage the books because it doesn't
                        do it as I want it, but I'll use its other featrures frequently.

                        Thanks again!
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 27 9:46 PM
                          LaurieK wrote:
                          >But you mentioned a Movie database… I have a fantastic one… its 29.95 and I
                          >don't know what your opinion of expensive is but this is VERY REASONABLE for
                          >all that it does.

                          Thanks Laurie, but I already have a movie database program (I linked
                          to it). I mentioned it as an example of what I was looking for but
                          for books. PVD does all those things you mention and it's free -
                          which is more than reasonable. ;-)

                          Lotta
                        • Torben Joergensen
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 28 7:41 AM
                            Hi Lotta,

                            Strange behaviour ClearType had on Calibre, but great that you somehow
                            managed to "correct" it.

                            I don't use Calibre to catalogue my ebooks, but uses a very simple
                            system. I have the ebooks on a 8Gb USB flash drive. I simply have
                            folders in the alphabet and sub-folders by author. Series again in
                            sub-folders under author. Filenames are "Author - Title". Very simple
                            but all I need. I know some people uses a spreadsheet to organize their
                            ebooks -- quite simple system as well.

                            Regardless of which program or system one uses to manage the ebooks you
                            will always have to make some manual corrections. I thought of maybe use
                            TreePad Business to make the "database", but I think it will involve a
                            lot of labour if I were to do it.

                            Calibre saves the ebooks in its own library, but then again this only
                            means that you will have a backup for your ebooks.

                            As I said I only uses Calibre to convert ebooks and even though its not
                            always perfect I think Calibre does a good job. I am different to
                            everyone else I think. I convert all ebooks to RTF, which means I can
                            edit the file and finally save the file as an OpenOffice Write file (For
                            smaller file sizes). From here I can convert it later to EPUB or what I
                            want.

                            We all have our own way to do things. :-)

                            Great that you found a use for Calibre after all. But you still have the
                            problem on how to organize your ebooks. Have you got any new thoughts
                            about how you would like to catalogue your ebooks?

                            --
                            Torben

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 28 9:49 AM
                              Torben Joergensen wrote:
                              >Strange behaviour ClearType had on Calibre, but great that you somehow
                              >managed to "correct" it.

                              >I have the ebooks on a 8Gb USB flash drive.. I simply have
                              >folders in the alphabet and sub-folders by author. Series again in
                              >sub-folders under author. Filenames are "Author - Title".

                              Same as me. I also divide in fiction and non fiction and then after
                              subject for the non fiction books. I have them on a HD though. I have
                              very little need of synchronization and portability.

                              > I am different to
                              >everyone else I think. I convert all ebooks to RTF, which means I can
                              >edit the file and finally save the file as an OpenOffice Write file (For
                              >smaller file sizes).

                              Must be a Danish thing! ;-)

                              >l. But you still have the problem on how to organize your ebooks.

                              Yeah, and so do you from the sound of it.

                              > Have you got any new thoughts
                              >about how you would like to catalogue your ebooks?

                              For me it's mainly that I'd like to extract the cover, if available,
                              and retrieve info about the book from some online database. I want a
                              browsable catalogue with details that makes the book more
                              recognizable to my feeble mind. The title isn't always enough. The be
                              able to mark books as read, not owned but on the wish list and things
                              like that would be nice and so would the possibility to add notes.
                              Filter or sort by author, subject and so on. In fact I want exactly
                              what Personal Video Database is but for books.

                              I've tried a few others, but at best they handled English books.
                              Calibre did rather good with the Swedish ones I fed it.

                              Lotta
                            • Torben Joergensen
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 1, 2010
                                Hi Lotta,

                                Sorry for the delay. Had some important things to do.

                                Lotta wrote:

                                >Same as me. I also divide in fiction and non fiction and then after
                                >subject for the non fiction books. I have them on a HD though. I have
                                >very little need of synchronization and portability.

                                I really don't need the portability, that is not the reason I keep my
                                ebooks on a USB key. It just happened that I started to keep my ebooks
                                on a USB key and have continued to do so. For me it is just a convenient
                                way to store the books in one single place. But I have a small
                                wordprocesser on the USB key as well, that can import the ODF-file if I
                                need to be on the move and make some changes, print or whatever...

                                >> > I am different to
                                >> >everyone else I think. I convert all ebooks to RTF, which means I can
                                >> >edit the file and finally save the file as an OpenOffice Write file
                                (For
                                >> >smaller file sizes).
                                >
                                >Must be a Danish thing! ;-)

                                If you want the full story, it is like this: Six months ago I didn't
                                have a ebook reader, and used a ASUS 901 to read the ebooks. The 901 is
                                running Linux and I needed a wordprocessor that could be used on both
                                Linux and Windows. I decided on OpenOffice (was running this on Windows
                                in the first place) and because I didn't like the FBreader, I just used
                                OOo Writer to read the ebooks. This is why I wanted the ebooks to be in
                                ODF files.

                                This autumn I got the Ectaco jetLite as a gift for by birthday by my
                                wife (well, I ordered and paid it myself, but it was supposed to be a
                                gift from her). In Denmark it is no more than about 4-5 months ago they
                                really started to sell ebook readers, but I think there are only three
                                models to choose from, and I don't want any of them. I wanted the
                                jetBook Lite which is running on four AA-batteries -- batteries you can
                                buy everywhere if you run out of power. The jetBook Lite will easily run
                                for 20-22 hours on a set of Alkaline batteries.

                                I have the same way with flashlights and cameras. I want them to run on
                                AA-batteries which means that I always can get batteries somewhere if I
                                should run out on power. And I only need to store one size of batteries,
                                that can be used in these appliances. Normally I use rechargeable NiMh
                                batteries, but I can change to Alkaline if need to.

                                >> >l. But you still have the problem on how to organize your ebooks.
                                >
                                >Yeah, and so do you from the sound of it.

                                No, not really. I am quite happy to sort and store the ebooks the same
                                way you do. Normally I only read a book once, and I know most of the
                                ebooks I have are mystery or espionage so often I just choose a book
                                randomly that I will start to read. I have to say that I don't buy
                                ebooks. As you probably know they are quite expensive to buy in Denmark.
                                Many ebooks are twice the price of the same pbook! There are so many
                                ebooks you can have for free, right? If there are some special books
                                that I am very interested in I will normally buy the pbook, preferably
                                on sale if possible.

                                >> > Have you got any new thoughts
                                >> >about how you would like to catalogue your ebooks?
                                >
                                >For me it's mainly that I'd like to extract the cover, if available,
                                >and retrieve info about the book from some online database. I want a
                                >browsable catalogue with details that makes the book more
                                >recognizable to my feeble mind. The title isn't always enough. The be
                                >able to mark books as read, not owned but on the wish list and things
                                >like that would be nice and so would the possibility to add notes.
                                >Filter or sort by author, subject and so on. In fact I want exactly
                                >what Personal Video Database is but for books.
                                >
                                >I've tried a few others, but at best they handled English books.
                                >Calibre did rather good with the Swedish ones I fed it.

                                Still sounds to me that Calibre is the best way to go for you. However
                                if I should stumble on some other program that just maybe could be of
                                interest for you I will let you know.

                                --
                                Torben
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
                                  Torben Joergensen wrote:
                                  >This autumn I got the Ectaco jetLite as a gift for by birthday by my
                                  >wife (well, I ordered and paid it myself, but it was supposed to be a
                                  >gift from her). In Denmark it is no more than about 4-5 months ago they
                                  >really started to sell ebook readers, but I think there are only three
                                  >models to choose from, and I don't want any of them. I wanted the
                                  >jetBook Lite which is running on four AA-batteries -- batteries you can
                                  >buy everywhere if you run out of power. The jetBook Lite will easily run
                                  >for 20-22 hours on a set of Alkaline batteries.

                                  Ooo! I looked it up. Reasonably priced too. I want one now. Did you
                                  order from ectaco.com?

                                  > Normally I only read a book once, and I know most of the
                                  >ebooks I have are mystery or espionage so often I just choose a book
                                  >randomly that I will start to read.

                                  I see. For me it's the other way around. I seldom read fiction on
                                  screen. I find it too tiring. But I do read techie books and other
                                  non-fiction that is better suited for shorter reading seassions.
                                  That's why I love, and need, annotation features. Actually, I didn't
                                  read e-books very often at all until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a
                                  million times better than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and
                                  make comments in different ways. All of a sudden it worked for me to
                                  read on the screen.

                                  > I have to say that I don't buy
                                  >ebooks. As you probably know they are quite expensive to buy in Denmark.
                                  >Many ebooks are twice the price of the same pbook! There are so many
                                  >ebooks you can have for free, right?

                                  Duh. Here they range from the price of a pocket book to the price of
                                  a hardcover book. Way too much, especially given the limitations of DRM.

                                  >Still sounds to me that Calibre is the best way to go for you. However
                                  >if I should stumble on some other program that just maybe could be of
                                  >interest for you I will let you know.

                                  I'm leaning towards using Calibre to do what it does best and find
                                  some other program where I can enter the data manually.

                                  Believe it or not, but my display problem with Calibre is solved.
                                  It's rather strange how it happened. I installed a trial of another
                                  cataloguer and it wouldn't run. Gave me some Java error. I wrote to
                                  their support and it turned out there was a debugger which I ran and
                                  then I sent the log file to the support guy. He told me the problem
                                  was due to a ClearType tweak that only could be done by changing a
                                  registry value manually. Had I done this? I had not. I didn't even
                                  know ClearType could be tweaked. He told me to download ClearType
                                  Tuner from MS and let it reset all settings. Did so and the catalogue
                                  progam started.

                                  CT Tuner has a contrast setting. Turned out my contrast was set to
                                  very bright. A more normal setting fixed the problem with Calibre. It
                                  also helped with the problem I complained about earlier when I got my
                                  flat screen, some squiggly program fonts, among others Notetab's (MS
                                  Sans Serif), displaying jaggy and hard to read. They still don't look
                                  as crisp as on my old CRT, but I can read them. I haven't checked
                                  yet, but I have the same squiggly font problem on the Asus, and I bet
                                  the reason turns out to be the same.

                                  Of course a normal contrast improved reading overall. I was thinking
                                  I needed stronger glasses!

                                  ClearType Tuner can be found here. It's part of MS PowerToys for XP.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
                                    loro wrote:
                                    > until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a million times better
                                    > than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and make
                                    > comments in different ways.

                                    Care to tell us which? That's something I too often miss and would like
                                    to have. I have the full Adobe 5, but don't like it much.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
                                      Axel Berger wrote:
                                      >Care to tell us which? That's something I too often miss and would like
                                      >to have. I have the full Adobe 5, but don't like it much.

                                      Sure. I'vee ranted about it before, that's why I didn't want to post
                                      the URL again unless someone asked. It's poorly named, PFD-XChange
                                      Viewer. Download the free version and try it out. You can do most
                                      things with that. You can also try the Pro features (mainly
                                      bookmarking), but if you save the document gets watermarked, so play
                                      with a copy until you know what's what.

                                      http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

                                      Lotta
                                    • Torben Joergensen
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 7, 2010
                                        Hi Lotta,

                                        Lotta wrote:

                                        > Ooo! I looked it up. Reasonably priced too. I want one now. Did you
                                        > order from ectaco.com?

                                        Well yes, I ordered the jetBook Lite from their British site:

                                        http://www.ectaco.co.uk

                                        but it were sent from US. They offer free shipping in western Europe by
                                        the way.

                                        > I see. For me it's the other way around. I seldom read fiction on
                                        > screen. I find it too tiring. But I do read techie books and other
                                        > non-fiction that is better suited for shorter reading seassions.
                                        > That's why I love, and need, annotation features. Actually, I didn't
                                        > read e-books very often at all until I stumbled upon a PDF reader a
                                        > million times better than Aobe's which lets me overline, bookmark and
                                        > make comments in different ways. All of a sudden it worked for me to
                                        > read on the screen.

                                        I don't think that ereaders does a very good job of showing PDF files
                                        due to their small screen. The jetBook shrinks the pages to fit the
                                        screen. You can zoom in on the page, but then you are only looking at a
                                        part of the page at a time. This is not to my taste. But if you have the
                                        opportunity to change the pagesetting in the PDF file and save it at a
                                        size that fits to the screen it's another thing. I know some people have
                                        the manual for their digital camera on the ereader, handy to just do a
                                        look up for the features the camera have, but that you don't use that often.

                                        Also you can use your camera as a handheld photocopier and take pictures
                                        of important documents. If needed you can quickly look them up -- just
                                        place a copy on your ereader and off you go. Screen shots of Google
                                        earth, roadmaps etc. can be saved in jpg format and be viewed on the
                                        ereader.

                                        Also most ereaders just shows pictures in no more than four shades,
                                        which I think is not enough. The jetBook have 16 shades of grey -- not
                                        perfect, but a bit more detailed.

                                        I am waiting for ASUS to sell their Eee Tablet in Europe (8 inch screen,
                                        64 shades of grey -- half e-reader, half note taker, and 2 Mp camera). I
                                        think that will be something I would be interested of maybe buying
                                        depending of the price.

                                        --
                                        Torben
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 9, 2010
                                          Torben Joergensen wrote:
                                          >I am waiting for ASUS to sell their Eee Tablet in Europe (8 inch screen,
                                          >64 shades of grey -- half e-reader, half note taker, and 2 Mp camera). I
                                          >think that will be something I would be interested of maybe buying
                                          >depending of the price.

                                          I want an e-ink screen. I realized the Entaco doesn't have that
                                          either, luckily before I ordered one. Darn, that mini looked nice -
                                          and cheap. The upside is, I guess, that prizes will continue to fall.
                                          Come next summer, maybe they all will be more reasonably priced. She
                                          said hopefully.

                                          Lotta
                                        • Torben Joergensen
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 10, 2010
                                            Loro wrote:
                                            > I want an e-ink screen. I realized the Entaco doesn't have that
                                            either, luckily before I ordered one.

                                            We all have our own tastes, and this can not be discussed, however the
                                            e-ink screens in general are not too sharp, and do have (in my opinion)
                                            a annoying blink every time you turn the pages.

                                            The 5-inch TFT LCD screen on Ectaco jetBook is manufactured by Toshiba.
                                            Its VGA reflective monochrome technology enables the device to be read
                                            under a variety of lighting conditions without a need for back or front
                                            light, which causes eyestrain in typical LCD screens. And the screen
                                            doesn't blink when you turn the pages as with e-ink.

                                            The only fault with this screen is because of its reflectiveness. When
                                            reading in direct sunlight you may notice a slight flicker. The only way
                                            to circumvent this problem is by changing the way the sun reflects off
                                            the screen. So turning the screen or maybe even sitting in the shade
                                            instead of in the full sunlight could help. This problem does not occur
                                            when using in indoor lighting, it only occurs in extreme bright light
                                            conditions.

                                            One reviewer of the jetBook Lite had his 13 year old daughter to give
                                            her opinion on the ereader. This is what she wrote about the screen:

                                            "If you think that you're going to strain your eyes, your absolutely
                                            wrong; it doesn't matter if you have glasses or contacts. Your eyes
                                            won't get as tired as they would if you were in front of a computer
                                            screen. All it takes is just a simple reading light so you can read."

                                            I rest my case... :-)

                                            --
                                            Torben
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 10, 2010
                                              Torben Joergensen wrote:
                                              >The only fault with this screen is because of its reflectiveness.

                                              That the main reason I want e-ink. I want high readability outside in
                                              strong ligth.

                                              >All it takes is just a simple reading light so you can read."

                                              Why would a reading light be needed if it's a TFT?

                                              Lotta
                                            • Torben Joergensen
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                                                Hi Lotta,

                                                I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen. You know TFT
                                                screens from TV's and notebooks and maybe even mobile phones. All these
                                                screens are backlit or sometimes sidelit. It is the backlighting which
                                                tires the eyes when reading for long periods.

                                                The TFT screen on the jetBook is reflective and have no built-in light.
                                                You need some light source from the outside to see what is on the
                                                screen. You don't need a great amount of light to be able to read this
                                                type of screen. Some people can easily read the text on the jetBook just
                                                by the small amount of light of their note- or netbook. Not very
                                                practical, but this have been tested. If you are in a room with no
                                                lights turned on or in places where light are not available you need a
                                                smal reading light of some sort. That is not any different from your
                                                e-ink screen. This is why it is mentioned that a reading light is necessary.

                                                And as I told you... there is no problem in reading on the TFT screen in
                                                bright sunlight. You can not compare the screen on the jetBook with
                                                screens on cameras or mobile phones. They are different types. The only
                                                thing you may discover if you are reading in bright sunlight is that the
                                                tekst on the screen will -- sort of -- wobble a bit. Some *few* people
                                                finds this annoying, but if you turn the screen in a different angel in
                                                the sunlight it will go away. Or you can choose to sit in the shadow on
                                                the very hot summerdays. All reflective TFT-screens do this and thats it.

                                                Acctually the jetBook have a very easily viewed display that is kind on
                                                the eyes. So easy to see and read, jetBook Lite can be used anywhere -
                                                in the bright midday sun or the subdued lighting at home.
                                                You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

                                                --
                                                Torben

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                                                  Torben Joergensen wrote:
                                                  >I think you maybe is confused by the TFT-type screen.

                                                  Yeah, though I didn't know I was. Thanks for explaining.

                                                  >You should try one of these if have the opportunity.

                                                  That's the problem. Shops hardly have a thing anymore and the stuff
                                                  they actually have you have to fight to get a look at. They don't
                                                  want to break the package! When it comes to e-book readers I haven't
                                                  seen them in shops yet. Ordering over the net is the only solution.
                                                  Pretty much sucks.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                                                    loro wrote:
                                                    > Ordering over the net is the only solution. Pretty much sucks.

                                                    That depends. In an ideal world you're right. On the other hand, how
                                                    much do you understand by just looking - they'll hardly let you sit down
                                                    and use it for half an hour. And the so called Fachverkäufer (Not even
                                                    LEO knows an equivalent term. It means knowledgeable sales person,
                                                    educated about the stuff they sell.) are a joke or a chimera. On the net
                                                    OTOH you do find meaningful tests and enlightening comments from actual
                                                    users. The best thing would be to find someone who's already got one and
                                                    ask them.

                                                    For me a thing like that would need a screen with a size of A4, not A5
                                                    like the ipad (they mostly quote outer size for that, not the actual
                                                    screen). The resolution needs to be at least 768X1024 (a fax is ca.
                                                    1600x2400) and scrolling backwards and forwards has to be quick, i.e. no
                                                    epaper. Annotation for PDF is another must.

                                                    I wouldn't dream of using something like for anything, books and
                                                    magazines, that's easily available on paper. But I get very many
                                                    scientific mags and articles from them free through the university and
                                                    would love to be able to read them in comfort.

                                                    I don't need gaming, browsing and whatnot - for all that a real computer
                                                    is fine.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 11, 2010
                                                      Axel Berger wrote:
                                                      >On the other hand, how
                                                      >much do you understand by just looking

                                                      I may be stoopid but I know what I like!

                                                      Lotta
                                                    • Torben Joergensen
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
                                                        Hi Lotta,

                                                        I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
                                                        of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
                                                        jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
                                                        Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

                                                        Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
                                                        e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
                                                        what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
                                                        understand what I'm trying to say here.

                                                        --
                                                        Torben

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 12, 2010
                                                          Torben Joergensen wrote:
                                                          >I whish I were on my way to Sweden. Then maybe we could meet over a cup
                                                          >of coffee somewhere, and I would gladly let you have a closer look at my
                                                          >jetBook Lite. It's not that I'm that far away as I live on the island
                                                          >Bornholm, but I have no errands in Sweden for the time being.

                                                          That's very nice of you, but I'm afraid I'm too shy for IRL
                                                          encounters anyway. ;-o)

                                                          >Also please understand that I had no intension to start some war whether
                                                          >e-ink or a reflective TFT screen is the best choice for you. If you know
                                                          >what is best in use for you, I couldn't be happier -- I hope you
                                                          >understand what I'm trying to say here.

                                                          No no, I didn't take it that way at all. Hope something I said didn't
                                                          make you think so. I'm genuinely grateful for the information. You've
                                                          helped me a lot with this and given me a few new ideas.

                                                          All these portable things are mainly summer toys for me and the
                                                          summer is 7 months away. Come that time, maybe prices will be lower
                                                          and more stuff available in shops so I can check some out physically.
                                                          You've given me much to ponder until then.

                                                          BTW that eKitaab was rather nice but turned out to be abandoned.
                                                          Found two others that could work, simple but OK. eLibrary (another SF
                                                          project) and the freeware bookTome.

                                                          http://www.openelibrary.org/
                                                          http://booktome.shanemca.com/