Re: [NTO] Re: Yahoo Groups down the drain?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
      On 2010-09-25 02:59, Sheri wrote:
      > You can join this group to experience the latest revision of the new
      > interface.

      It appears there is some commitment by Yahoo management to address
      some/most(?) of the complaints. On the Y-Mail interface it looks like
      the "paint is still drying" on some features (eg Files). Hopefully it
      doesn't get rolled out to the Notetab collection of groups too soon!

    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
        On 25 Sep 10 09:31 Alec Burgess <buralex@...> said:
        > It appears there is some commitment by Yahoo management to address
        > some/most(?) of the complaints. On the Y-Mail interface it looks
        > like the "paint is still drying" on some features (eg Files).
        > Hopefully it doesn't get rolled out to the Notetab collection of
        > groups too soon!

        As I suggested earlier, http://www.nabble.com is definitiely work a
        look as an alternative, for NoteTab lists, especially if you want to
        move back to the kind of small company personal service that eGroups
        (and OneList?) offered, before they were taken over by Yahoo.

        True - there's no plain text mail service yet, but if others chip in
        on their support forum here:

        http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Set-mail-to-Plain-Text-from-a-Forum-td5566310.html#a5566310
        I strongly suspect we'd get a positive result. It's a market
        opportunity for them.

        I believe

        Greg
      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
          Op 25-sep-10, om 01:21 heeft Alec Burgess het volgende geschreven:

          > If it comes to that I'd suggest Google Groups. I belong to a number of
          > them and they seem to work just as well ... at least from the member
          > facing side. Major problem I'd expect would be loss of members however
          > the transfer is done.

          I've a problem with Google and privacy. That is why I'm have not a
          google account or facebook, etc.
          http://online.wsj.com/public/page/what-they-know-digital-privacy.html

          Google is become to big and they have now, for me, a taste of
          hegemonism/totalitarism.
          --
          Adrien
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
            Google CEO was on Charlie Rose last night. I recorded it so haven't listened to all of it. What I did hear was pretty disturbing. But that's the way the internet is going whether it is Google or some other company. Brave new world and all . . .

            If you have high speed go in and listen.

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > > it ought to be possible to install some mailing-lists there.
              > If it comes to that I'd suggest Google Groups.

              Personally I dislike Google as much as Yahoo. I also don't understand
              why people don't host films they want to share themselves rather than
              use Youtube - I do. Youtube is a forum for anonymous copyright
              infringements and as such inherently criminal in my view. My view on
              mailing lists is similar.

              But whatever shall be done, the important thing here are the members and
              not the hoster and I shall accept whatever you all decide on.

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                Axel Berger wrote:
                >I also don't understand
                >why people don't host films they want to share themselves rather than
                >use Youtube

                Easy.

                A. Not everyone has a website to host them on, neither do they want one.

                B. Movies are big, take a lot of storage and transfer if they get
                popular and can't easily be blocked from hotlinking. YouTube is free
                and carefree.

                C. The viral factor. If your main goal is reach, you'll get
                thousandfold the views on YouTube than most people would on their own sites.

                D. Sharing. The easy-to-embed feature.

                But I agree with what has been said. Google has gotten too big and
                too nosy. Most annoying is that their main product, the web search,
                has become a mares nest of obscured "features" you have to opt out
                from and you can only hope to hear about them or you won't even have
                an idea they are there. For example the horrible customized search.
                Why would anyone want certain sites at the top of the search result
                just because they have clicked through to them before? Beats me.

                Regarding Yahoo! Groups, let's wait and see what happens. Most of the
                things mentioned would affect only a minor part of users.

                Lotta
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                  On 9/25/2010 4:31 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:
                  > On 2010-09-25 02:59, Sheri wrote:
                  >> You can join this group to experience the latest revision of the new
                  >> interface.

                  > It appears there is some commitment by Yahoo management to address
                  > some/most(?) of the complaints. On the Y-Mail interface it looks like
                  > the "paint is still drying" on some features (eg Files). Hopefully it
                  > doesn't get rolled out to the Notetab collection of groups too soon!

                  Re commitment, keep in mind that Yahoo's Mail and Groups projects are
                  separate. The Groups project isn't even using a Group in its
                  communication. From what I understand the YMail Group is a user group,
                  but some Yahoo Mail project personnel are participating there.

                  The only places you get the drying paint dialog is on Group features
                  that haven't yet been touched, that are still using the old interface.

                  Another link:
                  <http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/comments/2010/09/readers-what-would-you-like-to-ask-yahoo-ceo-carol-bartz/2>

                  I'm very disheartened by the aesthetics of the new interface (hate the
                  avatars, the narrow text width, the font size, the date at the bottom
                  instead of top the posts, the animated busy ringo on every click, the
                  endless requirement for clicking, etc.

                  At least text in the latest revision responds to zooming. Anyway, all
                  that can hopefully be avoided by participating via email. To me the
                  worst thing is the virtual uselessness of the online archive in this
                  "brave new world". Can't link to a specific reply even if you do manage
                  to locate it (which is doubtful in the sea of "conversations"). Also
                  existing links to gems in the archives aren't going to work any more.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri*
                  *
                • tf_ntp
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                    My two cents:

                    NoteTab users benefit from a robust user group with plenty of active participation. I have been involved since version 3 and although I don't participate as much as I did in earlier days when I was first learning clip code, I still monitor the chatter and comment when I think I may have something to contribute.

                    I have never really liked Yahoo Groups. When there are problems we are always at the mercy of their repair schedule. I think it would be much better to run the groups from Fookes server as an adjunct of the main NoteTab website.

                    I think a newer-tech venue would work better than the "improved BB" that is Yahoo Groups. A blog would be simple to install, access, and moderate. Or a Facebook-style format, but hosted on a server under NoteTab control. Google would include the same built-in problems as Yahoo.

                    I think Twitter could be used for urgent help requests, and group members would have more choices to receive requests - even on their cell phone.

                    I already get 800+ emails a day and would rather not need to use email to stay in touch with Notetab, especially when newer tech with better filters is readily available.

                    I think the Messages archive now on Yahoo should be converted to be accessible and searchable from the new venue. Now would be the time to organize the old messages by NoteTab version.

                    At any rate now is the time to make a change for the long term. Without direct control of the technology and content we will be changing this again and again as time passes.

                    Regards to all,

                    tf
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                      Well them, make it your own. Or someone else may have created a style already. That's what Stylish and AdBlock are for. Here's how my TV Guide grid looks. That's all I see when I pull it up. Nothing else on the page. Heavenly!!

                      http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/tvg.jpg

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 2, 2010
                        They called it off! Yea!

                        <http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/?p=958>

                        Regards,
                        Sheri
                      • Julie
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 2, 2010
                          That's amazing to me that they are that responsive. Totally wasn't
                          expecting that!

                          Julie

                          At 10/2/2010 11:06 AM, Sheri wrote:
                          >They called it off! Yea!
                          >
                          ><http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/?p=958>
                          >
                          >Regards,
                          >Sheri

                        • sisterscape
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 2, 2010
                            Now if Google would just get a clue and listen to their users!

                              > That's amazing to me that they are that responsive. Totally wasn't
                              > expecting that!
                              >
                              > Julie

                              Hard for me to judge it as responsive given the time and extent of user protest but I'm sure happy they finally responded at all.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 2, 2010
                                sisterscape wrote:
                                > Now if Google would just get a clue and listen to their users!

                                If I ran a company, I'd rather listen to those who pay for my wages. We
                                are not Google's customers, we're just a necessary evil for them to have
                                something to offer to their real customers.
                                Same with Yahoo.

                                Axel
                              • fw7oaks
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 2, 2010
                                  --- On Sat, 10/2/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                                  > If I ran a company, I'd rather listen to those who pay for my wages.
                                  > We are not Google's customers, we're just a necessary evil for them
                                  > to have something to offer to their real customers.

                                  Yes, but if Google & Co don't listen to us they run the risk of us voting with our mice and clicking elsewhere and then the folks that fund Google will follow us, so it pays for Google to listen, even if we don't *directly* line their pockets.

                                  fw