Re: [NTO] Grouply

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
      loro wrote:
      > What's with all these grouply invites I get?

      As I get none so far, I can only guess. I presume it is the same as what
      facebok does, harvesting all new members' address books for addresses.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
        Axel Berger wrote:
        >As I get none so far, I can only guess. I presume it is the same as what
        >facebok does, harvesting all new members' address books for addresses.

        In that case they must harvest them from list post, because I only
        get invites related to Notetab. I faintly recognized the name of one
        or two inviters, the rest are unknown to me.

        If you don't get any invites, I guess that must mean I'm popular! :-D

        Julie wrote:
        >I just ignore all the invites. People tell me it's a bad bad thing. :)

        Julie, you're badass! ;-)

        I found through this blog, http://ungrouply.wordpress.com/ , there's
        a way for group owners to block Grouply. I'm not saying you should do
        that. I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. Just passing
        on the information.
        http://blog.grouply.com/owners/ (bottom of page)

        Hope to hear something from people who actually are Grouply members.
        Maybe it's wonderful. Either way, if you want to talk to me, please
        send me a normal email. Grouply mails go to spamcop when I feel
        strong enough, otherwise they are trashed.

        Lotta
      • David Ash
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
          I've been getting them for months, week after week, but they go straight
          into my spam filter. Read somewhere that they are spammers who have found a
          way to argue they aren't spammers by "offering a service".

          D+

          On 16 September 2010 12:30, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          > What's with all these grouply invites I get? Do others get them too?
          > Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm already
          > added to grouply, however that is possible.
          >
          > If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites that lives
          > off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social features", blah
          > blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived there.
          >
          > http://www.grouply.com/groupsearch (enter Notetab in the search box)
          >
          > Lotta

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
            Yes, I get them every so often. I have starting reporting them as spam to Yahoo.

            > Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm
            > already
            > added to grouply, however that is possible.
            >
            > If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites
            > that lives
            > off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social
            > features", blah
            > blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived
            > there.
            >
            > http://www.grouply.com/groupsearch (enter Notetab in
            > the search box)
            >
            > Lotta

          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
              Op 16-sep-10, om 14:21 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

              > In that case they must harvest them from list post, because I only
              > get invites related to Notetab. I faintly recognized the name of one
              > or two inviters, the rest are unknown to me.

              Here, sometimes a notice that a few links are updated somewere in the
              NoteTab groups. I ignore too.
              --
              Adrien
            • Alex Plantema
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
                Op donderdag 16 september 2010 13:30 schreef loro:

                > What's with all these grouply invites I get? Do others get them too?
                > Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm already
                > added to grouply, however that is possible.
                >
                > If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites that lives
                > off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social features", blah
                > blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived there.

                When people give their password to Grouply, which is against Yahoo's rules,
                messages and possibly other data are harvested from all groups they belong to,
                and exposed on Grouply's site, which is against privacy rules.
                On list manager lists like Listhelp people are warned against such behaviour,
                and some list owners kick people who do so off their list.

                Alex.
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
                  Alex Plantema wrote:
                  > and some list owners kick people who do so off their list.

                  Good thing too!