Grouply

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
      What's with all these grouply invites I get? Do others get them too?
      Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm already
      added to grouply, however that is possible.

      If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites that lives
      off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social features", blah
      blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived there.

      http://www.grouply.com/groupsearch (enter Notetab in the search box)

      Lotta
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
        I just ignore all the invites. People tell me it's a bad bad thing. :)

        Julie

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > What's with all these grouply invites I get?

          As I get none so far, I can only guess. I presume it is the same as what
          facebok does, harvesting all new members' address books for addresses.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
            Axel Berger wrote:
            >As I get none so far, I can only guess. I presume it is the same as what
            >facebok does, harvesting all new members' address books for addresses.

            In that case they must harvest them from list post, because I only
            get invites related to Notetab. I faintly recognized the name of one
            or two inviters, the rest are unknown to me.

            If you don't get any invites, I guess that must mean I'm popular! :-D

            Julie wrote:
            >I just ignore all the invites. People tell me it's a bad bad thing. :)

            Julie, you're badass! ;-)

            I found through this blog, http://ungrouply.wordpress.com/ , there's
            a way for group owners to block Grouply. I'm not saying you should do
            that. I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. Just passing
            on the information.
            http://blog.grouply.com/owners/ (bottom of page)

            Hope to hear something from people who actually are Grouply members.
            Maybe it's wonderful. Either way, if you want to talk to me, please
            send me a normal email. Grouply mails go to spamcop when I feel
            strong enough, otherwise they are trashed.

            Lotta
          • David Ash
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
              I've been getting them for months, week after week, but they go straight
              into my spam filter. Read somewhere that they are spammers who have found a
              way to argue they aren't spammers by "offering a service".

              D+

              On 16 September 2010 12:30, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

              > What's with all these grouply invites I get? Do others get them too?
              > Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm already
              > added to grouply, however that is possible.
              >
              > If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites that lives
              > off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social features", blah
              > blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived there.
              >
              > http://www.grouply.com/groupsearch (enter Notetab in the search box)
              >
              > Lotta

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
                Yes, I get them every so often. I have starting reporting them as spam to Yahoo.

                > Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm
                > already
                > added to grouply, however that is possible.
                >
                > If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites
                > that lives
                > off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social
                > features", blah
                > blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived
                > there.
                >
                > http://www.grouply.com/groupsearch (enter Notetab in
                > the search box)
                >
                > Lotta

              • Adrien Verlee
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
                  Op 16-sep-10, om 14:21 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

                  > In that case they must harvest them from list post, because I only
                  > get invites related to Notetab. I faintly recognized the name of one
                  > or two inviters, the rest are unknown to me.

                  Here, sometimes a notice that a few links are updated somewere in the
                  NoteTab groups. I ignore too.
                  --
                  Adrien
                • Alex Plantema
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
                    Op donderdag 16 september 2010 13:30 schreef loro:

                    > What's with all these grouply invites I get? Do others get them too?
                    > Now it get "get friends" requests too, making me think I'm already
                    > added to grouply, however that is possible.
                    >
                    > If you don't know, grouply seems to be one of those sites that lives
                    > off news groups. Another interface, "exciting social features", blah
                    > blah blah... Of course all Notetab groups are archived there.

                    When people give their password to Grouply, which is against Yahoo's rules,
                    messages and possibly other data are harvested from all groups they belong to,
                    and exposed on Grouply's site, which is against privacy rules.
                    On list manager lists like Listhelp people are warned against such behaviour,
                    and some list owners kick people who do so off their list.

                    Alex.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 16, 2010
                      Alex Plantema wrote:
                      > and some list owners kick people who do so off their list.

                      Good thing too!