Re: [NTO] Netbooks

  • Jeffery
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
      On 8/23/2010 8:20 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
      > Jeffery wrote:
      >> The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
      >> uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.
      > Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
      > and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
      > WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
      > like.
      >
      > The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
      > harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
      >
      > Axel
      Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
      directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

      Out of the Box they require different methods of input, but otherwise
      they are of similar capabilities to a laptop.
    • Chris Laarman
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 24, 2010
        Jeffery <jeff@...> on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:58:45 -0700:

        >> The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
        >> harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
        >>
        >> Axel
        >Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
        >directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

        Quite. :-)

        I'd like to add:

        Computers need to be able to boot from a device other than their
        internal hard drive(s). However, among the first things I do to a new
        computer is going into the BIOS, making sure that the first device in
        the Boot priority is that internal drive, then applying a password to
        that BIOS (to protect that setting).
        If the operating system shouldn't ask me to log in, I'd change the
        settings to make it do so.

        That way, someone not knowing my password can't use my computer in my
        absence, and has to open it in order to access it.

        --
        Chris Laarman