Netbooks

  • Jeffery
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
      A "netbook" is designed primarily for Internet use, and often has no
      internal memory drives (CD/DVD) and only has USB ports. The Netbook
      comes preloaded with the operating system, and any uodates have to come
      either by USB port or by internet download.

      Netbooks are usually smaller than conventional notebooks, because they
      do not have to have the drive installed.

      In the one I am using to write this, made by ACER, the screen
      size/resolution doesn't match the standards, so programs like Google
      earth do not scale correctly.

      Full support of Graphics normally seen on the net is installed, and I
      use graphics programs to work with graphics the same way i do on the
      desktop and notebook.

      WIFI is built in, and netbooks are designed to be portable, and
      connect to almost any network.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
        Jeffery wrote:
        > The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
        > uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.

        Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
        and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
        WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
        like.

        The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
        harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.

        Axel
      • Jeffery
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
          On 8/23/2010 8:20 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
          > Jeffery wrote:
          >> The Netbook comes preloaded with the operating system, and any
          >> uodates have to come either by USB port or by internet download.
          > Not quite so. for one thing standard USB sticks are bigger now than CDs
          > and even DVDs ever were and for another you have an ethernet port and
          > WLAN, so that at home you can use a local network and whatever media you
          > like.
          >
          > The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
          > harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
          >
          > Axel
          Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
          directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

          Out of the Box they require different methods of input, but otherwise
          they are of similar capabilities to a laptop.
        • Chris Laarman
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 24, 2010
            Jeffery <jeff@...> on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:58:45 -0700:

            >> The one remaining problem is booting from something else than the
            >> harddrive, which is possible but I don't yet know how to do it.
            >>
            >> Axel
            >Essentially the same, you can not use the provided CDs for software
            >directly. (In my case I added an external DVD-rw)

            Quite. :-)

            I'd like to add:

            Computers need to be able to boot from a device other than their
            internal hard drive(s). However, among the first things I do to a new
            computer is going into the BIOS, making sure that the first device in
            the Boot priority is that internal drive, then applying a password to
            that BIOS (to protect that setting).
            If the operating system shouldn't ask me to log in, I'd change the
            settings to make it do so.

            That way, someone not knowing my password can't use my computer in my
            absence, and has to open it in order to access it.

            --
            Chris Laarman