Re: [NTO] laptop advice please

  • Adrien Verlee
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
      Op 20-aug-10, om 18:39 heeft Scott Fordin het volgende geschreven:

      > FWIW, I've been pleased over the years with several machines from
      > Toshiba and Asus. We've also had some HPs, but I've found their
      > reliability to vary across model lines; some very good, some not so
      > good. Toshiba and Asus just always seem to be very solid. With
      > Dell, you

      Thanks to all.
      And anyone have an opinion on Acer?
      --
      Adrien
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
        Op 20-aug-10, om 18:39 heeft Scott Fordin het volgende geschreven:

        > FWIW, I've been pleased over the years with several machines from
        > Toshiba and Asus. We've also had some HPs, but I've found their
        > reliability to vary across model lines; some very good, some not so
        > good. Toshiba and Asus just always seem to be very solid. With
        > Dell, you

        Thanks to all.
        And anyone have an opinion on Acer?
        --
        Adrien
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
          Hi Axel,

          On 20 Aug 10 21:56 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
          > Chris Laarman wrote:
          > > any of these "netbooks" might do.
          >
          > These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and
          > unable to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a
          > PIII with a 80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum
          > CD-writer from time to time and 600 pixels of screen height is
          > rather small.

          You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook. As I understand it, a
          netbook, by definition, will not have an internal optical drive, and
          while the term was invented for machines with small screens and solid
          state drives, rather than magnetic disc drives, many do now have
          conventional disc drives within.

          However, I agree that "power" is not normally the issue, rather that
          small screens and relatively low drive space, do make them impractical
          for extensive graphics, video and audio work, and are best for email,
          web browsing, and simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar
          applications.

          Greg
        • Chris Laarman
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
            Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:14:33
            +0100:

            >You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook. As I understand it, a
            >netbook, by definition, will not have an internal optical drive, and
            >while the term was invented for machines with small screens and solid
            >state drives, rather than magnetic disc drives, many do now have
            >conventional disc drives within.
            >
            >However, I agree that "power" is not normally the issue, rather that
            >small screens and relatively low drive space, do make them impractical
            >for extensive graphics, video and audio work, and are best for email,
            >web browsing, and simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar
            >applications.

            To *my* knowledge (but I'm ready to stand corrected) power
            *consumption* is a design feature, resulting in them being equipped
            with CPUs from Intel's Atom line rather than Pentium etc.

            The power adapter of my Asus HA1001 is much smaller (in size and
            rating) than those of my Vaio notebooks.
            However, it can power external drives (optical or magnetic).

            As a result of that lower power *consumption* (at the same state of
            the art) an Atom and associated chips offer less *processing* power.

            And as I said before, my netbook appears to perform above my (low)
            expectations even on sound generation.

            And it was cheap (EUR 240 last February). Even its successors may be
            cheaper than dedicated eBook readers.

            --
            Chris Laarman
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              > You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook.

              Not confusing, comparing. And apart from the missing optical drive the
              netbook comes out trupms when compared to a not quite so new notebook,
              and that includes the twice as big hard drive.

              > do make them impractical for extensive graphics,
              > video and audio work,

              And how many people actually do any of those on any kind of machine
              except when gaming?

              > simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar applications.

              Quite, though TeX and big databases can be far from simple and in my
              case there is some radiocarbon dating, presentation, geographical
              information system, not to forget scanning, OCR and PDF-making.
              It was in the early seventies, when you could compare serious work
              computers and limited low power hobby home computers, today serious work
              is at the lower end of power requirements and gaming at the top.
              Around 1979 I wrote down the specs of the big central computer in the
              Cologne university computing centre. I can't find it right now, but I
              believe it was surpassed by about the 486 generation of PCs.
              As to data, yes I have 15 GB of music, 150 GB of radio plays, and 15 GB
              of family media, but my biggest serious database, the whole earth
              elevation from satellite data, is about 20 GB. So you need to have a
              strange frame of reference to call a hard disk limit of 160 GB small.

              Of course marketing will tell you otherwise ...

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                Chris Laarman wrote:
                > As a result of that lower power *consumption* (at the same state of
                > the art) an Atom and associated chips offer less *processing* power.

                Absolutely, but even that power is way above anything you're ever going
                to need in real usage.

                Axel
              • Jeffery
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                  I have all three types, Desktop, laptop, netbook.

                  All are intensely used, the main issue being the lack of a disc drive in
                  the netbook, recently remedied with an external DVD-RW.

                  I use it for Photography, Genealogy and Website writing.