Re: [NTO] laptop advice please

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
      Chris Laarman wrote:
      > any of these "netbooks" might do.

      These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and unable
      to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a PIII with a
      80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum CD-writer from time to
      time and 600 pixels of screen height is rather small. (But I also get
      useful work out of a PI laptop with 800*600 screen.)

      If I were to buy a new (new to me) notebook now, I'd probably make it
      one of them. They are small and light, seem to be rugged, and have far
      more power than I have now. The biggest problem would be, I'd finally
      have to switch to Linux now and that's a big step I keep holding off.
      But I wouldn't be able to get Win98 drivers and all later Windows are
      far too virus prone apart from slowing even the most powerful hardware
      to a complete standstill. My daughter's notebook feels slower than mine.

      Axel
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
        Op 20-aug-10, om 18:39 heeft Scott Fordin het volgende geschreven:

        > FWIW, I've been pleased over the years with several machines from
        > Toshiba and Asus. We've also had some HPs, but I've found their
        > reliability to vary across model lines; some very good, some not so
        > good. Toshiba and Asus just always seem to be very solid. With
        > Dell, you

        Thanks to all.
        And anyone have an opinion on Acer?
        --
        Adrien
      • Chris Laarman
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
          Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> on Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:56:33 +0200:

          >Chris Laarman wrote:
          >> any of these "netbooks" might do.
          >
          >These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and unable
          >to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a PIII with a
          >80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum CD-writer from time to
          >time and 600 pixels of screen height is rather small. (But I also get
          >useful work out of a PI laptop with 800*600 screen.)
          >
          >If I were to buy a new (new to me) notebook now, I'd probably make it
          >one of them. They are small and light, seem to be rugged, and have far
          >more power than I have now. The biggest problem would be, I'd finally
          >have to switch to Linux now and that's a big step I keep holding off.
          >But I wouldn't be able to get Win98 drivers and all later Windows are
          >far too virus prone apart from slowing even the most powerful hardware
          >to a complete standstill. My daughter's notebook feels slower than mine.

          I bought my Asus netbook as an extra. But it's half the size and
          weight of my two Full HD notebooks, so it quickly became my "commando
          equipment". To be brought wherever any computer is needed, to show a
          presentation using a projector, for example.
          Or to prevent me from printing documents for a meeting: I copy the
          E-mail attachments and whatever to the netbook, and have them with me.

          A 1024*600 screen is not suitable for quickly moving back and forth
          through large documents, but it does allow one to have a useful
          portion in sight. And one can have several documents open at once.

          Mind the keyboard. It does have full-size keys, but probably less than
          expected. On mine, the Home, Ens, PgUp and PgDn keys are emulated
          through holding the Fn key while pressing the cursor keys. And Up and
          Down are half-size keys.

          These netbooks are designed for power efficiency. They do work on a
          battery load for a couple of hours. But these Intel Atom processors
          are less powerful than those of the Pentium line at the same speed.

          Nevertheless mine seems to perform above my low expectations on music.
          Not the mere playing of MP3 files, but playing MIDI files through
          software synthesizers (which may be quite processor-intensive).

          Using a small USB-adapter I can also use it as a television set,
          either connecting to a wall outlet or to a small DVB antenna.

          I have two different Viao notebooks that are Full HD. Like that Asus
          netbook they are fitted with hard drives of the Seagate Momentus line
          at 5400 rpm.
          I have upgraded the older Vaio with larger Momentus at 7200 rpm. That
          definitely improves performance.
          I intend to do so (after the warranty period is over) with the newer
          Vaio and that Asus netbook.

          --
          Chris Laarman
        • Don
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
            I have had three dells, a toshiba and a gateway -- with my middle dell I
            was glad I had the long term support with two new screens and a new
            keyboard/mousepad -- however I use a laptop hard.

            On 8/20/2010 10:13 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > Adrien Verlee wrote:
            >> Hello,
            >> Next week (Monday or Tuesday) I need to buy a laptop. No experience
            >> with laptops. Wich brand is reliable on hardware level? What do
            >> people think?
            >> Good hardware is now for me the main thing.
            >> Thanks, Adrien
            >
            > I have a Dell 17" Inspiron 9400 WinXP.
            > Been my only PC for 3+ years and it has been very reliable.
            >
            > Recently bought a Toshiba NB 205 10" 'Net Book'. I have not used it much
            > but it seems solid and no crapware installed.
            >
            > -Mike
            > www.EpicRoadTrips.us/mich

          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
              Op 20-aug-10, om 18:39 heeft Scott Fordin het volgende geschreven:

              > FWIW, I've been pleased over the years with several machines from
              > Toshiba and Asus. We've also had some HPs, but I've found their
              > reliability to vary across model lines; some very good, some not so
              > good. Toshiba and Asus just always seem to be very solid. With
              > Dell, you

              Thanks to all.
              And anyone have an opinion on Acer?
              --
              Adrien
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                Hi Axel,

                On 20 Aug 10 21:56 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
                > Chris Laarman wrote:
                > > any of these "netbooks" might do.
                >
                > These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and
                > unable to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a
                > PIII with a 80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum
                > CD-writer from time to time and 600 pixels of screen height is
                > rather small.

                You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook. As I understand it, a
                netbook, by definition, will not have an internal optical drive, and
                while the term was invented for machines with small screens and solid
                state drives, rather than magnetic disc drives, many do now have
                conventional disc drives within.

                However, I agree that "power" is not normally the issue, rather that
                small screens and relatively low drive space, do make them impractical
                for extensive graphics, video and audio work, and are best for email,
                web browsing, and simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar
                applications.

                Greg
              • Chris Laarman
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                  Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:14:33
                  +0100:

                  >You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook. As I understand it, a
                  >netbook, by definition, will not have an internal optical drive, and
                  >while the term was invented for machines with small screens and solid
                  >state drives, rather than magnetic disc drives, many do now have
                  >conventional disc drives within.
                  >
                  >However, I agree that "power" is not normally the issue, rather that
                  >small screens and relatively low drive space, do make them impractical
                  >for extensive graphics, video and audio work, and are best for email,
                  >web browsing, and simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar
                  >applications.

                  To *my* knowledge (but I'm ready to stand corrected) power
                  *consumption* is a design feature, resulting in them being equipped
                  with CPUs from Intel's Atom line rather than Pentium etc.

                  The power adapter of my Asus HA1001 is much smaller (in size and
                  rating) than those of my Vaio notebooks.
                  However, it can power external drives (optical or magnetic).

                  As a result of that lower power *consumption* (at the same state of
                  the art) an Atom and associated chips offer less *processing* power.

                  And as I said before, my netbook appears to perform above my (low)
                  expectations even on sound generation.

                  And it was cheap (EUR 240 last February). Even its successors may be
                  cheaper than dedicated eBook readers.

                  --
                  Chris Laarman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                    Greg Chapman wrote:
                    > You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook.

                    Not confusing, comparing. And apart from the missing optical drive the
                    netbook comes out trupms when compared to a not quite so new notebook,
                    and that includes the twice as big hard drive.

                    > do make them impractical for extensive graphics,
                    > video and audio work,

                    And how many people actually do any of those on any kind of machine
                    except when gaming?

                    > simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar applications.

                    Quite, though TeX and big databases can be far from simple and in my
                    case there is some radiocarbon dating, presentation, geographical
                    information system, not to forget scanning, OCR and PDF-making.
                    It was in the early seventies, when you could compare serious work
                    computers and limited low power hobby home computers, today serious work
                    is at the lower end of power requirements and gaming at the top.
                    Around 1979 I wrote down the specs of the big central computer in the
                    Cologne university computing centre. I can't find it right now, but I
                    believe it was surpassed by about the 486 generation of PCs.
                    As to data, yes I have 15 GB of music, 150 GB of radio plays, and 15 GB
                    of family media, but my biggest serious database, the whole earth
                    elevation from satellite data, is about 20 GB. So you need to have a
                    strange frame of reference to call a hard disk limit of 160 GB small.

                    Of course marketing will tell you otherwise ...

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                      Chris Laarman wrote:
                      > As a result of that lower power *consumption* (at the same state of
                      > the art) an Atom and associated chips offer less *processing* power.

                      Absolutely, but even that power is way above anything you're ever going
                      to need in real usage.

                      Axel
                    • Jeffery
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                        I have all three types, Desktop, laptop, netbook.

                        All are intensely used, the main issue being the lack of a disc drive in
                        the netbook, recently remedied with an external DVD-RW.

                        I use it for Photography, Genealogy and Website writing.