Re: [NTO] laptop advice please

  • Chris Laarman
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
      Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> on Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:56:14
      +0200:

      >Next week (Monday or Tuesday) I need to buy a laptop. No experience
      >with laptops. Wich brand is reliable on hardware level? What do
      >people think?
      >Good hardware is now for me the main thing.

      What do you intend to use it for?

      If you should want to be able to check your E-mail while away from
      home, any of these "netbooks" might do. Just add USB-hardware (like a
      DVD-burner).

      If you should want to do heavy graphics (video editing or 3D
      Modeling), you 'd want a powerhouse with Full HD graphics, much memory
      (and a 64-bit operating system to address it) and a fast and large
      hard drive.

      I have both, I love both.

      --
      Chris Laarman
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
        Chris Laarman wrote:
        > any of these "netbooks" might do.

        These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and unable
        to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a PIII with a
        80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum CD-writer from time to
        time and 600 pixels of screen height is rather small. (But I also get
        useful work out of a PI laptop with 800*600 screen.)

        If I were to buy a new (new to me) notebook now, I'd probably make it
        one of them. They are small and light, seem to be rugged, and have far
        more power than I have now. The biggest problem would be, I'd finally
        have to switch to Linux now and that's a big step I keep holding off.
        But I wouldn't be able to get Win98 drivers and all later Windows are
        far too virus prone apart from slowing even the most powerful hardware
        to a complete standstill. My daughter's notebook feels slower than mine.

        Axel
      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
          Op 20-aug-10, om 18:39 heeft Scott Fordin het volgende geschreven:

          > FWIW, I've been pleased over the years with several machines from
          > Toshiba and Asus. We've also had some HPs, but I've found their
          > reliability to vary across model lines; some very good, some not so
          > good. Toshiba and Asus just always seem to be very solid. With
          > Dell, you

          Thanks to all.
          And anyone have an opinion on Acer?
          --
          Adrien
        • Chris Laarman
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
            Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> on Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:56:33 +0200:

            >Chris Laarman wrote:
            >> any of these "netbooks" might do.
            >
            >These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and unable
            >to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a PIII with a
            >80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum CD-writer from time to
            >time and 600 pixels of screen height is rather small. (But I also get
            >useful work out of a PI laptop with 800*600 screen.)
            >
            >If I were to buy a new (new to me) notebook now, I'd probably make it
            >one of them. They are small and light, seem to be rugged, and have far
            >more power than I have now. The biggest problem would be, I'd finally
            >have to switch to Linux now and that's a big step I keep holding off.
            >But I wouldn't be able to get Win98 drivers and all later Windows are
            >far too virus prone apart from slowing even the most powerful hardware
            >to a complete standstill. My daughter's notebook feels slower than mine.

            I bought my Asus netbook as an extra. But it's half the size and
            weight of my two Full HD notebooks, so it quickly became my "commando
            equipment". To be brought wherever any computer is needed, to show a
            presentation using a projector, for example.
            Or to prevent me from printing documents for a meeting: I copy the
            E-mail attachments and whatever to the netbook, and have them with me.

            A 1024*600 screen is not suitable for quickly moving back and forth
            through large documents, but it does allow one to have a useful
            portion in sight. And one can have several documents open at once.

            Mind the keyboard. It does have full-size keys, but probably less than
            expected. On mine, the Home, Ens, PgUp and PgDn keys are emulated
            through holding the Fn key while pressing the cursor keys. And Up and
            Down are half-size keys.

            These netbooks are designed for power efficiency. They do work on a
            battery load for a couple of hours. But these Intel Atom processors
            are less powerful than those of the Pentium line at the same speed.

            Nevertheless mine seems to perform above my low expectations on music.
            Not the mere playing of MP3 files, but playing MIDI files through
            software synthesizers (which may be quite processor-intensive).

            Using a small USB-adapter I can also use it as a television set,
            either connecting to a wall outlet or to a small DVB antenna.

            I have two different Viao notebooks that are Full HD. Like that Asus
            netbook they are fitted with hard drives of the Seagate Momentus line
            at 5400 rpm.
            I have upgraded the older Vaio with larger Momentus at 7200 rpm. That
            definitely improves performance.
            I intend to do so (after the warranty period is over) with the newer
            Vaio and that Asus netbook.

            --
            Chris Laarman
          • Don
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
              I have had three dells, a toshiba and a gateway -- with my middle dell I
              was glad I had the long term support with two new screens and a new
              keyboard/mousepad -- however I use a laptop hard.

              On 8/20/2010 10:13 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > Adrien Verlee wrote:
              >> Hello,
              >> Next week (Monday or Tuesday) I need to buy a laptop. No experience
              >> with laptops. Wich brand is reliable on hardware level? What do
              >> people think?
              >> Good hardware is now for me the main thing.
              >> Thanks, Adrien
              >
              > I have a Dell 17" Inspiron 9400 WinXP.
              > Been my only PC for 3+ years and it has been very reliable.
              >
              > Recently bought a Toshiba NB 205 10" 'Net Book'. I have not used it much
              > but it seems solid and no crapware installed.
              >
              > -Mike
              > www.EpicRoadTrips.us/mich

            • Adrien Verlee
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
                Op 20-aug-10, om 18:39 heeft Scott Fordin het volgende geschreven:

                > FWIW, I've been pleased over the years with several machines from
                > Toshiba and Asus. We've also had some HPs, but I've found their
                > reliability to vary across model lines; some very good, some not so
                > good. Toshiba and Asus just always seem to be very solid. With
                > Dell, you

                Thanks to all.
                And anyone have an opinion on Acer?
                --
                Adrien
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                  Hi Axel,

                  On 20 Aug 10 21:56 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
                  > Chris Laarman wrote:
                  > > any of these "netbooks" might do.
                  >
                  > These are always spoken of as if they were somehow low power and
                  > unable to do much. My newish fully featured workhorse notebook is a
                  > PIII with a 80 GB drive. That said I do use the DVD ROM cum
                  > CD-writer from time to time and 600 pixels of screen height is
                  > rather small.

                  You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook. As I understand it, a
                  netbook, by definition, will not have an internal optical drive, and
                  while the term was invented for machines with small screens and solid
                  state drives, rather than magnetic disc drives, many do now have
                  conventional disc drives within.

                  However, I agree that "power" is not normally the issue, rather that
                  small screens and relatively low drive space, do make them impractical
                  for extensive graphics, video and audio work, and are best for email,
                  web browsing, and simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar
                  applications.

                  Greg
                • Chris Laarman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                    Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:14:33
                    +0100:

                    >You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook. As I understand it, a
                    >netbook, by definition, will not have an internal optical drive, and
                    >while the term was invented for machines with small screens and solid
                    >state drives, rather than magnetic disc drives, many do now have
                    >conventional disc drives within.
                    >
                    >However, I agree that "power" is not normally the issue, rather that
                    >small screens and relatively low drive space, do make them impractical
                    >for extensive graphics, video and audio work, and are best for email,
                    >web browsing, and simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar
                    >applications.

                    To *my* knowledge (but I'm ready to stand corrected) power
                    *consumption* is a design feature, resulting in them being equipped
                    with CPUs from Intel's Atom line rather than Pentium etc.

                    The power adapter of my Asus HA1001 is much smaller (in size and
                    rating) than those of my Vaio notebooks.
                    However, it can power external drives (optical or magnetic).

                    As a result of that lower power *consumption* (at the same state of
                    the art) an Atom and associated chips offer less *processing* power.

                    And as I said before, my netbook appears to perform above my (low)
                    expectations even on sound generation.

                    And it was cheap (EUR 240 last February). Even its successors may be
                    cheaper than dedicated eBook readers.

                    --
                    Chris Laarman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                      Greg Chapman wrote:
                      > You appear to be confusing Netbook and Notebook.

                      Not confusing, comparing. And apart from the missing optical drive the
                      netbook comes out trupms when compared to a not quite so new notebook,
                      and that includes the twice as big hard drive.

                      > do make them impractical for extensive graphics,
                      > video and audio work,

                      And how many people actually do any of those on any kind of machine
                      except when gaming?

                      > simple word processing, spreadsheet and similar applications.

                      Quite, though TeX and big databases can be far from simple and in my
                      case there is some radiocarbon dating, presentation, geographical
                      information system, not to forget scanning, OCR and PDF-making.
                      It was in the early seventies, when you could compare serious work
                      computers and limited low power hobby home computers, today serious work
                      is at the lower end of power requirements and gaming at the top.
                      Around 1979 I wrote down the specs of the big central computer in the
                      Cologne university computing centre. I can't find it right now, but I
                      believe it was surpassed by about the 486 generation of PCs.
                      As to data, yes I have 15 GB of music, 150 GB of radio plays, and 15 GB
                      of family media, but my biggest serious database, the whole earth
                      elevation from satellite data, is about 20 GB. So you need to have a
                      strange frame of reference to call a hard disk limit of 160 GB small.

                      Of course marketing will tell you otherwise ...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                        Chris Laarman wrote:
                        > As a result of that lower power *consumption* (at the same state of
                        > the art) an Atom and associated chips offer less *processing* power.

                        Absolutely, but even that power is way above anything you're ever going
                        to need in real usage.

                        Axel
                      • Jeffery
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                          I have all three types, Desktop, laptop, netbook.

                          All are intensely used, the main issue being the lack of a disc drive in
                          the netbook, recently remedied with an external DVD-RW.

                          I use it for Photography, Genealogy and Website writing.