Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTO] Xcopy switches for file exclusion

Expand Messages
  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    ... Yes, that is correct. ... I changed the DOS window to the root and tried again. ... C: xcopy c: wamp www current mich-ont c: mich /Q /Y /D /S /T
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 11 6:21 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      > Mike,
      >
      > Are you doing this thru NoteTab or from a 'Dos window'?
      >
      > I assume this is your dos prompt; C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>
      >
      > the source folder is; c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont
      >
      > and destination folder is; c:\mich

      Yes, that is correct.
      > -----------------------
      > /S & /E are opposing parameters, try to lose one of them.
      > Try /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
      > xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
      > or /Q /Y /D /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
      > xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG

      I changed the DOS window to the root and tried again.
      Here are the results:
      -----------
      C:\>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
      Can't read file: .JPG

      C:\>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.jpg
      Can't read file: .jpg

      C:\>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:*.jpg
      Can't read file: .jpg

      C:\>
      -----------
      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      ... Hi Alex, The files *are* there. 100s of *.jpg in many subdirs. I don t know why the error is generating. Below is the DIR /s output for one of the subdirs.
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 11 6:27 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        Alex Plantema wrote:
        > Op zaterdag 10 juli 2010 18:54 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:
        >> OK. Here are 3 more attempts:
        >>
        >> Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
        >> --------
        >> C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
        >> c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
        >> Can't read file: .JPG
        >
        > This is the clearest message: xcopy searched for a file named .jpg.
        > /exclude: should be followed by a file name, without a space after the colon.
        > The file should contain (parts of) names of files to be excluded from copying.
        >
        > Alex.

        Hi Alex,
        The files *are* there. 100s of *.jpg in many subdirs.
        I don't know why the error is generating.

        Below is the DIR /s output for one of the subdirs.
        The dirs "hres" and "orig" also contain .jpg files

        Directory of C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\d1

        06/13/2010 07:55 AM <DIR> .
        06/13/2010 07:55 AM <DIR> ..
        06/03/2010 03:19 PM 2,106 Copy of index.php
        06/03/2010 05:08 PM <DIR> ext_links
        06/12/2010 08:17 AM 49,830 Hopalong_Cassidy_-30.jpg
        06/25/2010 07:21 AM <DIR> hres
        06/13/2010 07:57 AM 14,800 index.bak
        06/14/2010 06:11 AM 14,800 index.php
        06/10/2010 07:07 PM 2,155 intro.php
        06/12/2010 07:25 AM 104,922 littleton-bank_po.jpg
        06/12/2010 06:54 AM <DIR> orig
        06/11/2010 05:59 AM 56,709 photo0000001.jpg
        06/11/2010 07:11 AM 61,767 photo0000002.jpg
        06/11/2010 07:11 AM 61,476 photo0000003.jpg
        06/11/2010 08:13 AM 31,202 photo0000004.jpg
        06/11/2010 08:54 AM 54,156 photo0000005.jpg
        06/11/2010 09:22 AM 74,289 photo0000006.jpg
        06/11/2010 04:50 PM 45,980 photo0000007.jpg
        06/11/2010 04:50 PM 38,493 photo0000008.jpg
        06/11/2010 04:50 PM 59,795 photo0000009.jpg
        06/11/2010 04:51 PM 58,984 photo0000010.jpg
        06/11/2010 04:51 PM 56,625 photo0000011.jpg
        06/11/2010 05:00 PM 54,957 photo0000012.jpg
        06/11/2010 05:00 PM 62,677 photo0000013.jpg
        06/11/2010 05:01 PM 96,329 photo0000014.jpg
        02/23/2010 07:28 AM 15 title_hres.php.txt
        21 File(s) 1,002,067 bytes

        Thanks,
        -Mike

        >
        >
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >

        --


        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        ... Yes. That is why I used it. -Mike
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 11 6:28 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          bruce.somers@... wrote:

          > Don't you thnk you need /EXCLUDE:*.jpg ?
          >
          > *.jpg

          Yes. That is why I used it.
          -Mike

          > This is becoming silly.
          >
        • Alex Plantema
          ... That s not what I meant. a non-ambiguous filename is expected after /exclude: This file should be present and contain (parts of) file names to be excluded
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 11 9:27 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            Op zondag 11 juli 2010 15:27 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:

            > Alex Plantema wrote:
            >> Op zaterdag 10 juli 2010 18:54 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:
            >>> OK. Here are 3 more attempts:
            >>>
            >>> Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
            >>> --------
            >>> C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
            >>> c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
            >>> Can't read file: .JPG
            >>
            >> This is the clearest message: xcopy searched for a file named .jpg.
            >> /exclude: should be followed by a file name, without a space after
            >> the colon. The file should contain (parts of) names of files to be
            >> excluded from copying.
            >>
            >> Alex.
            >
            > Hi Alex,
            > The files *are* there. 100s of *.jpg in many subdirs.
            > I don't know why the error is generating.

            That's not what I meant.
            a non-ambiguous filename is expected after /exclude:
            This file should be present and contain (parts of) file names to be excluded from copying.
            If you use /exclude:.jpg xcopy assumes that this file is called .jpg.

            And each file with .jpg in the name is skipped, whether it's at the end of the name or not.

            What you need to do is create a file called e.g. exclusions.txt with one line containing:

            .jpg

            Then the command should contain /exclude:exclusions.txt as a parameter.

            Alex.
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            ... We are getting close! I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of. I used: C: wamp www current mich-ont xcopy c: wamp www current mich-ont *.*
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 11 10:43 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              Alex Plantema wrote:
              > That's not what I meant.
              > a non-ambiguous filename is expected after /exclude:
              > This file should be present and contain (parts of) file names to be excluded from copying.
              > If you use /exclude:.jpg xcopy assumes that this file is called .jpg.
              >
              > And each file with .jpg in the name is skipped, whether it's at the end of the name or not.
              >
              > What you need to do is create a file called e.g. exclusions.txt with one line containing:
              >
              > .jpg
              >
              > Then the command should contain /exclude:exclusions.txt as a parameter.
              >
              > Alex.

              We are getting close!
              I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of.
              I used:
              C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
              C:\mich\ /Q /Y /D /S /T /exclude:exclusions.txt

              This copied all the folders, but *none* of the files.

              Thanks for your help.
              -Mike
            • Alex Plantema
              ... You should omit /T Alex.
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 11 11:17 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                Op zondag 11 juli 2010 19:43 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:

                > We are getting close!
                > I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of.
                > I used:
                > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                > C:\mich\ /Q /Y /D /S /T /exclude:exclusions.txt
                >
                > This copied all the folders, but *none* of the files.

                You should omit /T

                Alex.
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                ... That did it! I missed this: /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does not include empty directories or subdirectories. Thanks to all.
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 11 12:28 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  Alex Plantema wrote:
                  > Op zondag 11 juli 2010 19:43 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:
                  >
                  >> We are getting close!
                  >> I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of.
                  >> I used:
                  >> C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                  >> C:\mich\ /Q /Y /D /S /T /exclude:exclusions.txt
                  >>
                  >> This copied all the folders, but *none* of the files.
                  >
                  > You should omit /T


                  That did it!

                  I missed this:
                  /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files.
                  Does not include empty directories or subdirectories.


                  Thanks to all.
                  -Mike
                • Ray Shapp
                  Hi Mike, I would use the free Everything utility from http://www.voidtools.com/ Use the main window to select your source folder(s) and the Tools Options
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 12 1:26 AM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Mike,

                    I would use the free "Everything" utility from http://www.voidtools.com/

                    Use the main window to select your source folder(s) and the Tools > Options
                    > Exclude tab to exclude ".JPG".

                    BTW, once you install this utility, you will be using it for lots of chores.


                    HTH

                    Ray Shapp

                    On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <
                    mike@...> wrote:

                    >
                    >
                    > Anyone know of a way to use Xcopy or any other way which will exclude
                    > files with a specified extension from being copied?
                    >
                    > I want to copy web files and all subdirs but exclude .jpg files
                    > Thanks,
                    > -Mike
                    >
                    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289483
                    > --
                    >
                    > Morgantown WV
                    >
                    >
                    >


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    ... Thanks, Ray. I will check it out. -Mike
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 12 3:23 AM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Ray Shapp wrote:
                      > Hi Mike,
                      > I would use the free "Everything" utility from http://www.voidtools.com/
                      >
                      > Use the main window to select your source folder(s) and the Tools > Options
                      > > Exclude tab to exclude ".JPG".
                      >
                      > BTW, once you install this utility, you will be using it for lots of chores.
                      > HTH Ray Shapp

                      Thanks, Ray.
                      I will check it out.
                      -Mike
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.