Re: [NTO] Xcopy switches for file exclusion

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > Anyone know of a way to use Xcopy or any other way which will
      > exclude files with a specified extension from being copied?

      I don't see a way with standard DOS. 4DOS, which is now free and a
      direct replacement of command.com, can do it as can Totalcommander.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
        Dave wrote:
        > try XCOPY /Q /Y /D /S /E /T EXCLUDE:.JPG

        It seems you're right, Windows 2000, eXPerimental and up seem to be able
        to do this natively, though it's more complicated than you suggest. The
        excludes have to be placed into an extra file. See:

        http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2682/xcopy_command_using_the_exclude_flag/

        Axel
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
          Dave wrote:
          > Hi
          > try XCOPY /Q /Y /D /S /E /T EXCLUDE:.JPG
          >
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          I tried this but my syntax must be wrong.

          C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich
          /Q/Y/D/S/E/T EXCLUDE:.JPG
          Invalid number of parameters

          -Mike

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
            I just tried wild cards a well. No luck.
            ====
            C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
            c:\mich /Q/Y/D/S/E/T EXCLUDE:.JPG
            Invalid number of parameters

            C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>
            ====

            Dave wrote:
            > Hi
            > try XCOPY /Q /Y /D /S /E /T EXCLUDE:.JPG
            >
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            I tried this but my syntax must be wrong.

            C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich
            /Q/Y/D/S/E/T EXCLUDE:.JPG
            Invalid number of parameters

            -Mike

            Morgantown WV

            www.EpicRoadTrips.us

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > Anyone know of a way to use Xcopy or any other way which will exclude
              > files with a specified extension from being copied?
              >

              > I want to copy web files and all subdirs but exclude .jpg files
              > Thanks,
              > -Mike

              > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont
              c:\mich
              > /Q/Y/D/S/E/T EXCLUDE:.JPG
              > Invalid number of parameters

              Mike,

              These are all the choices and the help below shows a space delimiter
              separating parameters also, a forward slash before /EXCLUDE...

              > /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG

              C:\>xcopy/?
              Copies files and directory trees.

              XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]
              [/C] [/I] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/G] [/H] [/R]
              [/T] [/U]
              [/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z]
              [/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

              source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
              destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
              /A Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
              doesn't change the attribute.
              /M Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
              turns off the archive attribute.
              /D:m-d-y Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
              If no date is given, copies only those files whose
              source time is newer than the destination time.
              /EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...
              Specifies a list of files containing strings. Each
              string
              should be in a separate line in the files. When any
              of the
              strings match any part of the absolute path of the
              file to be
              copied, that file will be excluded from being copied.
              For
              example, specifying a string like \obj\ or .obj will
              exclude
              all files underneath the directory obj or all files
              with the
              .obj extension respectively.
              /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
              /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
              /E Copies directories and subdirectories, including
              empty ones.
              Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
              /V Verifies each new file.
              /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
              /C Continues copying even if errors occur.
              /I If destination does not exist and copying more than
              one file,
              assumes that destination must be a directory.
              /Q Does not display file names while copying.
              /F Displays full source and destination file names while
              copying.
              /L Displays files that would be copied.
              /G Allows the copying of encrypted files to destination
              that does
              not support encryption.
              /H Copies hidden and system files also.
              /R Overwrites read-only files.
              /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files.
              Does not
              include empty directories or subdirectories. /T /E
              includes
              empty directories and subdirectories.
              /U Copies only files that already exist in destination.
              /K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only
              attributes.
              /N Copies using the generated short names.
              /O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
              /X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).
              /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
              existing destination file.
              /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
              existing destination file.
              /Z Copies networked files in restartable mode.

              The switch /Y may be preset in the COPYCMD environment variable.
              This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line.

              ºvº SL_day# 190 - created 2010.07.09_15.27.57

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              • Lung Cancer in Women Mushrooms

              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
                <did you really have no slash before EXCLUDE ?

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
                  hsavage wrote:
                  > Mike,
                  > These are all the choices and the help below shows a space delimiter
                  > separating parameters also, a forward slash before /EXCLUDE...
                  >
                  > > /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG

                  OK. Here are 3 more attempts:

                  Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
                  --------
                  C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                  c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                  Can't read file: .JPG
                  --------

                  Added wild card to EXCLUDE file
                  --------
                  C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                  c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE: *.JPG
                  Invalid number of parameters
                  --------

                  Removed space in front of wildcard EXCLUDE file.
                  --------
                  C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                  c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:*.JPG
                  Can't read file: *.JPG
                  --------
                  DRAT!
                  -mb
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > hsavage wrote:
                    >> Mike,
                    >> These are all the choices and the help below shows a space delimiter
                    >> separating parameters also, a forward slash before /EXCLUDE...
                    >>
                    >> > /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                    >
                    > OK. Here are 3 more attempts:
                    >
                    > Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
                    > --------
                    > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                    > c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                    > Can't read file: .JPG
                    > --------
                    >
                    > Added wild card to EXCLUDE file
                    > --------
                    > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                    > c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE: *.JPG
                    > Invalid number of parameters
                    > --------
                    >
                    > Removed space in front of wildcard EXCLUDE file.
                    > --------
                    > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                    > c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:*.JPG
                    > Can't read file: *.JPG
                    > --------
                    > DRAT!
                    > -mb

                    Mike,

                    Are you doing this thru NoteTab or from a 'Dos window'?

                    I assume this is your dos prompt; C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>

                    the source folder is; c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont

                    and destination folder is; c:\mich
                    -----------------------

                    /S & /E are opposing parameters, try to lose one of them.

                    Try /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                    xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG

                    or /Q /Y /D /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                    xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG

                    ºvº SL_day# 190 - created 2010.07.09_15.27.57

                    Newspaper HeadLine...
                    • Lung Cancer in Women Mushrooms

                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                  • Alex Plantema
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
                      Op zaterdag 10 juli 2010 18:54 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:

                      > OK. Here are 3 more attempts:
                      >
                      > Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
                      > --------
                      > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                      > c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                      > Can't read file: .JPG

                      This is the clearest message: xcopy searched for a file named .jpg.

                      /exclude: should be followed by a file name, without a space after the colon.
                      The file should contain (parts of) names of files to be excluded from copying.

                      Alex.
                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 10, 2010
                        Don't you thnk you need /EXCLUDE:*.jpg ?

                        *.jpg

                        This is becoming silly.
                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                          Hi
                          This should work ,change path to suit
                          XCOPY "F:\Fuji\*.*" J:\ROM /I /Q /Y /D /S /E /EXCLUDE:JPG.TXT
                          make a txt file and put the "path to .jpg" in it and save it to the same
                          directory as the .bat file above would be in
                          THANKYOU DAVE M

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                            > Mike,
                            >
                            > Are you doing this thru NoteTab or from a 'Dos window'?
                            >
                            > I assume this is your dos prompt; C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>
                            >
                            > the source folder is; c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont
                            >
                            > and destination folder is; c:\mich

                            Yes, that is correct.
                            > -----------------------
                            > /S & /E are opposing parameters, try to lose one of them.
                            > Try /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                            > xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                            > or /Q /Y /D /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                            > xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG

                            I changed the DOS window to the root and tried again.
                            Here are the results:
                            -----------
                            C:\>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                            Can't read file: .JPG

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                              Alex Plantema wrote:
                              > Op zaterdag 10 juli 2010 18:54 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:
                              >> OK. Here are 3 more attempts:
                              >>
                              >> Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
                              >> --------
                              >> C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                              >> c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                              >> Can't read file: .JPG
                              >
                              > This is the clearest message: xcopy searched for a file named .jpg.
                              > /exclude: should be followed by a file name, without a space after the colon.
                              > The file should contain (parts of) names of files to be excluded from copying.
                              >
                              > Alex.

                              Hi Alex,
                              The files *are* there. 100s of *.jpg in many subdirs.
                              I don't know why the error is generating.

                              Below is the DIR /s output for one of the subdirs.
                              The dirs "hres" and "orig" also contain .jpg files

                              Directory of C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\d1

                              06/13/2010 07:55 AM <DIR> .
                              06/13/2010 07:55 AM <DIR> ..
                              06/03/2010 03:19 PM 2,106 Copy of index.php
                              06/03/2010 05:08 PM <DIR> ext_links
                              06/12/2010 08:17 AM 49,830 Hopalong_Cassidy_-30.jpg
                              06/25/2010 07:21 AM <DIR> hres
                              06/13/2010 07:57 AM 14,800 index.bak
                              06/14/2010 06:11 AM 14,800 index.php
                              06/10/2010 07:07 PM 2,155 intro.php
                              06/12/2010 07:25 AM 104,922 littleton-bank_po.jpg
                              06/12/2010 06:54 AM <DIR> orig
                              06/11/2010 05:59 AM 56,709 photo0000001.jpg
                              06/11/2010 07:11 AM 61,767 photo0000002.jpg
                              06/11/2010 07:11 AM 61,476 photo0000003.jpg
                              06/11/2010 08:13 AM 31,202 photo0000004.jpg
                              06/11/2010 08:54 AM 54,156 photo0000005.jpg
                              06/11/2010 09:22 AM 74,289 photo0000006.jpg
                              06/11/2010 04:50 PM 45,980 photo0000007.jpg
                              06/11/2010 04:50 PM 38,493 photo0000008.jpg
                              06/11/2010 04:50 PM 59,795 photo0000009.jpg
                              06/11/2010 04:51 PM 58,984 photo0000010.jpg
                              06/11/2010 04:51 PM 56,625 photo0000011.jpg
                              06/11/2010 05:00 PM 54,957 photo0000012.jpg
                              06/11/2010 05:00 PM 62,677 photo0000013.jpg
                              06/11/2010 05:01 PM 96,329 photo0000014.jpg
                              02/23/2010 07:28 AM 15 title_hres.php.txt
                              21 File(s) 1,002,067 bytes

                              Thanks,
                              -Mike

                              Morgantown WV

                              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                                bruce.somers@... wrote:

                                > Don't you thnk you need /EXCLUDE:*.jpg ?
                                >
                                > *.jpg

                                Yes. That is why I used it.
                                -Mike

                                > This is becoming silly.

                              • Alex Plantema
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                                  Op zondag 11 juli 2010 15:27 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:

                                  > Alex Plantema wrote:
                                  >> Op zaterdag 10 juli 2010 18:54 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:
                                  >>> OK. Here are 3 more attempts:
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Added space to switches and forward slash to EXCLUDE
                                  >>> --------
                                  >>> C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                                  >>> c:\mich /Q /Y /D /S /E /T /EXCLUDE:.JPG
                                  >>> Can't read file: .JPG
                                  >>
                                  >> This is the clearest message: xcopy searched for a file named .jpg.
                                  >> /exclude: should be followed by a file name, without a space after
                                  >> the colon. The file should contain (parts of) names of files to be
                                  >> excluded from copying.
                                  >>
                                  >> Alex.
                                  >
                                  > Hi Alex,
                                  > The files *are* there. 100s of *.jpg in many subdirs.
                                  > I don't know why the error is generating.

                                  That's not what I meant.
                                  a non-ambiguous filename is expected after /exclude:
                                  This file should be present and contain (parts of) file names to be excluded from copying.
                                  If you use /exclude:.jpg xcopy assumes that this file is called .jpg.

                                  And each file with .jpg in the name is skipped, whether it's at the end of the name or not.

                                  What you need to do is create a file called e.g. exclusions.txt with one line containing:

                                  .jpg

                                  Then the command should contain /exclude:exclusions.txt as a parameter.

                                  Alex.
                                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                                    Alex Plantema wrote:
                                    > That's not what I meant.
                                    > a non-ambiguous filename is expected after /exclude:
                                    > This file should be present and contain (parts of) file names to be excluded from copying.
                                    > If you use /exclude:.jpg xcopy assumes that this file is called .jpg.
                                    >
                                    > And each file with .jpg in the name is skipped, whether it's at the end of the name or not.
                                    >
                                    > What you need to do is create a file called e.g. exclusions.txt with one line containing:
                                    >
                                    > .jpg
                                    >
                                    > Then the command should contain /exclude:exclusions.txt as a parameter.
                                    >
                                    > Alex.

                                    We are getting close!
                                    I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of.
                                    I used:
                                    C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                                    C:\mich\ /Q /Y /D /S /T /exclude:exclusions.txt

                                    This copied all the folders, but *none* of the files.

                                    Thanks for your help.
                                    -Mike
                                  • Alex Plantema
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                                      Op zondag 11 juli 2010 19:43 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:

                                      > We are getting close!
                                      > I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of.
                                      > I used:
                                      > C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                                      > C:\mich\ /Q /Y /D /S /T /exclude:exclusions.txt
                                      >
                                      > This copied all the folders, but *none* of the files.

                                      You should omit /T

                                      Alex.
                                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 11, 2010
                                        Alex Plantema wrote:
                                        > Op zondag 11 juli 2010 19:43 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:
                                        >
                                        >> We are getting close!
                                        >> I followed your instruction and it worked - sort of.
                                        >> I used:
                                        >> C:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont>xcopy c:\wamp\www\current\mich-ont\*.*
                                        >> C:\mich\ /Q /Y /D /S /T /exclude:exclusions.txt
                                        >>
                                        >> This copied all the folders, but *none* of the files.
                                        >
                                        > You should omit /T

                                        That did it!

                                        I missed this:
                                        /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files.
                                        Does not include empty directories or subdirectories.

                                        Thanks to all.
                                        -Mike
                                      • Ray Shapp
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 12, 2010
                                          Hi Mike,

                                          I would use the free "Everything" utility from http://www.voidtools.com/

                                          Use the main window to select your source folder(s) and the Tools > Options
                                          > Exclude tab to exclude ".JPG".

                                          BTW, once you install this utility, you will be using it for lots of chores.

                                          HTH

                                          Ray Shapp

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 12, 2010
                                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                                            > Hi Mike,
                                            > I would use the free "Everything" utility from http://www.voidtools.com/
                                            >
                                            > Use the main window to select your source folder(s) and the Tools > Options
                                            > > Exclude tab to exclude ".JPG".
                                            >
                                            > BTW, once you install this utility, you will be using it for lots of chores.
                                            > HTH Ray Shapp

                                            Thanks, Ray.
                                            I will check it out.
                                            -Mike