Re: [NTO] Can't hear sound at Encarta

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
      Thanks, guys. It never occurred to me the problem could be with the
      site. I get an error message, but that's for a page in an iframe, and
      I get that either I click the sound or not.

      I read last year that MS was discontinuing Encarta, but that they
      should keep this site up and running. Maybe they are hard up and want
      to save transfer by pulling the sounds. ;-)

      Too bad if it's closing down. It was a good place to hear the proper
      pronounciation of English words.

      Lotta
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
        Op 10-apr-10, om 03:52 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

        http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??

        or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)
        --
        Adrien
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > It was a good place to hear the proper
          > pronounciation of English words.

          Are you sure? I don't know it but coming form Microsoft I'd expect it
          only to offer American pronounciations, not English, which in many cases
          are markedly different.
          (I find English audiobooks and radio plays effortless and often can't
          say, if I have just listened to English or German, but American is work.
          I even frequently have to stop American films and replay a scene with
          subtitles on, because I found it impossible to understand the dialogue.)

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2010
            Adrien Verlee wrote:

            >http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??
            >
            >or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)

            Thanks! fonetiks.org is quite interesting with the comparisons, but
            howjsay.com is probably more convenient - requires less thinking from me. ;-)