Re: [NTO] Can't hear sound at Encarta

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
      Hi
      I here nothing ,I think it uses java script ,I went to pronounce part and it
      uses mp3's they did not work either??
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
        Hi
        just found this you will need to play mp3's off page
        WriteDictionaryPronObjectTag("166", "23",
        "http://images.encarta.msn-int.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/audio/pron/a50/A5027600.mp3",
        "something");
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
          Thanks, guys. It never occurred to me the problem could be with the
          site. I get an error message, but that's for a page in an iframe, and
          I get that either I click the sound or not.

          I read last year that MS was discontinuing Encarta, but that they
          should keep this site up and running. Maybe they are hard up and want
          to save transfer by pulling the sounds. ;-)

          Too bad if it's closing down. It was a good place to hear the proper
          pronounciation of English words.

          Lotta
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
            Op 10-apr-10, om 03:52 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

            http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??

            or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)
            --
            Adrien
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > It was a good place to hear the proper
              > pronounciation of English words.

              Are you sure? I don't know it but coming form Microsoft I'd expect it
              only to offer American pronounciations, not English, which in many cases
              are markedly different.
              (I find English audiobooks and radio plays effortless and often can't
              say, if I have just listened to English or German, but American is work.
              I even frequently have to stop American films and replay a scene with
              subtitles on, because I found it impossible to understand the dialogue.)

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2010
                Adrien Verlee wrote:

                >http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??
                >
                >or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)

                Thanks! fonetiks.org is quite interesting with the comparisons, but
                howjsay.com is probably more convenient - requires less thinking from me. ;-)