Re: [NTO] Can't hear sound at Encarta

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
      --- On Fri, 4/9/10, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      You hear them, don't you?
      <http://encarta. msn.com/encnet/ features/ dictionary/ DictionaryResult s.aspx?lextype= 3&search= something>

      Nope

      Like Sheri I eventually get a server error, takes 60 seconds plus.

      fw
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
        Hi
        I here nothing ,I think it uses java script ,I went to pronounce part and it
        uses mp3's they did not work either??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
          Hi
          just found this you will need to play mp3's off page
          WriteDictionaryPronObjectTag("166", "23",
          "http://images.encarta.msn-int.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/audio/pron/a50/A5027600.mp3",
          "something");
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2010
            Thanks, guys. It never occurred to me the problem could be with the
            site. I get an error message, but that's for a page in an iframe, and
            I get that either I click the sound or not.

            I read last year that MS was discontinuing Encarta, but that they
            should keep this site up and running. Maybe they are hard up and want
            to save transfer by pulling the sounds. ;-)

            Too bad if it's closing down. It was a good place to hear the proper
            pronounciation of English words.

            Lotta
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
              Op 10-apr-10, om 03:52 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

              http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??

              or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)
              --
              Adrien
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
                loro wrote:
                > It was a good place to hear the proper
                > pronounciation of English words.

                Are you sure? I don't know it but coming form Microsoft I'd expect it
                only to offer American pronounciations, not English, which in many cases
                are markedly different.
                (I find English audiobooks and radio plays effortless and often can't
                say, if I have just listened to English or German, but American is work.
                I even frequently have to stop American films and replay a scene with
                subtitles on, because I found it impossible to understand the dialogue.)

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Adrien Verlee wrote:

                  >http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??
                  >
                  >or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)

                  Thanks! fonetiks.org is quite interesting with the comparisons, but
                  howjsay.com is probably more convenient - requires less thinking from me. ;-)