Can't hear sound at Encarta

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8 8:46 PM
      Hi,

      Driving me nuts. Since a time I can't hear the sound clips at
      Encarta. I have no problems with sound otherwise, neither on web
      pages nor locally. IFAICS there's nothing wrong with my sound
      setting. No problems with Flash either (they use a Flash player).
      Doesn't matter what browser I use. Any bright ideas?

      You hear them, don't you?
      <http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?lextype=3&search=something>

      Lotta
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8 9:48 PM
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Driving me nuts. Since a time I can't hear the sound clips at
        > Encarta. I have no problems with sound otherwise, neither on web
        > pages nor locally. IFAICS there's nothing wrong with my sound
        > setting. No problems with Flash either (they use a Flash player).
        > Doesn't matter what browser I use. Any bright ideas?
        >
        > You hear them, don't you?
        > <http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?lextype=3&search=something>
        >
        > Lotta

        I see a server error when I click one of the sound icons.
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8 11:53 PM
          --- On Fri, 4/9/10, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          You hear them, don't you?
          <http://encarta. msn.com/encnet/ features/ dictionary/ DictionaryResult s.aspx?lextype= 3&search= something>

          Nope

          Like Sheri I eventually get a server error, takes 60 seconds plus.

          fw
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9 6:47 AM
            Hi
            I here nothing ,I think it uses java script ,I went to pronounce part and it
            uses mp3's they did not work either??
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > Driving me nuts. Since a time I can't hear the sound clips at
            > Encarta. I have no problems with sound otherwise, neither on web
            > pages nor locally. IFAICS there's nothing wrong with my sound
            > setting. No problems with Flash either (they use a Flash player).
            > Doesn't matter what browser I use. Any bright ideas?
            >
            > You hear them, don't you?
            > <http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?lextype=3&search=something>
            >
            > Lotta

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9 7:01 AM
              Hi
              just found this you will need to play mp3's off page
              WriteDictionaryPronObjectTag("166", "23",
              "http://images.encarta.msn-int.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/audio/pron/a50/A5027600.mp3",
              "something");
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9 6:52 PM
                Thanks, guys. It never occurred to me the problem could be with the
                site. I get an error message, but that's for a page in an iframe, and
                I get that either I click the sound or not.

                I read last year that MS was discontinuing Encarta, but that they
                should keep this site up and running. Maybe they are hard up and want
                to save transfer by pulling the sounds. ;-)

                Too bad if it's closing down. It was a good place to hear the proper
                pronounciation of English words.

                Lotta
              • Adrien Verlee
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10 3:17 AM
                  Op 10-apr-10, om 03:52 heeft loro het volgende geschreven:

                  http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??

                  or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)
                  --
                  Adrien
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10 3:22 AM
                    loro wrote:
                    > It was a good place to hear the proper
                    > pronounciation of English words.

                    Are you sure? I don't know it but coming form Microsoft I'd expect it
                    only to offer American pronounciations, not English, which in many cases
                    are markedly different.
                    (I find English audiobooks and radio plays effortless and often can't
                    say, if I have just listened to English or German, but American is work.
                    I even frequently have to stop American films and replay a scene with
                    subtitles on, because I found it impossible to understand the dialogue.)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11 12:15 AM
                      Adrien Verlee wrote:

                      >http://www.howjsay.com/index.php ??
                      >
                      >or ... http://www.fonetiks.org/ :-)

                      Thanks! fonetiks.org is quite interesting with the comparisons, but
                      howjsay.com is probably more convenient - requires less thinking from me. ;-)