Re: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
      > it much easier to read.
      > Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

      I see why that's nice to have. Here is my full standard batch for a big
      directory structure:

      dir /b /on /s *.pdf > Scans.txt
      char t2w Scans.txt
      F:\Winutil\NoteTab\NotePro.exe /L=Functions:Format Scans.txt

      char is a codepage converter I wrote myself in Pascal. t2w is the
      conversion table to use. And this is the clip "Format Filelist":

      ;^!Menu Modify/Lines/Sort/Ascending
      ^!Replace "^.:(.*)$" >> "$1" WRASI
      ^!Replace "\" >> "/" WASI
      ^!Jump TEXT_START
      ^!InsertText Diese Liste wurde erstellt am: ^$GetDate(yyyy-mm-dd)$^P^P

      With the full power of NoteTab at your fingertips you can achieve almost
      anything in the way of reformatting text.

      On 10k files in many subdirectories the above is all done in an instant,
      the slowest part is my very un-optimized simple-minded Pascal routine.

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
        fw7oaks wrote:

        > XDir ?

        Got the report.
        It is weird.
        There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the list is put together.
        The first line from a folder name which starts with "P".

        The actual directory tree starts with a folder named "2010".
        The next folder name after that starts with an "A".

        Window properties reports 19,527 files.
        Xdir report has 19,511

        -Mike

        > http://download. cnet.com/ XDir/3000- 2248_4-10533916. html?tag=
        > contentMain; overviewHead
        > <http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead>
        >
        > --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW
        > V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> wrote:
        >
        > From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us
        > <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>>
        > Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
        > To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@ yahoogroups. com
        > <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>>
        > Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
        >

        > I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
        >
        > on a dir which has over 19k files in it.
        >
        > Any alternatives out there?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > -Mike
        >
        > --
        >
        > Morgantown WV
        >
        > www.EpicRoadTrips. us

        > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
        > Tested on: 4/6/2010 1:56:19 PM

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
          --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

          > Got the report.
          >
          > It is weird.

          Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

          However you were looking and it might have been your solution.

          fw
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
            fw7oaks wrote:

            > Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it
            > possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

            Hmmm... Could very well be.
            Thanks for the help.

            I will keep looking.
            -Mike