Re: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.

      Something is strange here. This is what
      dir /b /on * > dir.txt
      puts out:

      .htaccess
      0A-Hinweis.txt
      ABSTRACT.pdf
      ABSTRACT.TEX
      dir.txt
      INHALT.1BD
      INHALT.CSV
      INHALT.HTM
      INHALT.pdf
      INHALT.TEX

      You can't get more readable than that. If you have umlauts and special
      characters in your file names - not a good idea generally - then dir, at
      least in Win98, will put out a DOS character page, probably cp850, not
      Windows' cp1252, but that is easily remedied in NoteTab.

      There are reasons why i don't install some eXPerimental OS, but it can't
      be that bad, can it?

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
        Axel Berger wrote:

        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > > This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.
        >
        > Something is strange here. This is what
        > dir /b /on * > dir.txt
        > puts out:
        >
        > .htaccess
        > 0A-Hinweis.txt
        > ABSTRACT.pdf
        > ABSTRACT.TEX
        > dir.txt
        > INHALT.1BD
        > INHALT.CSV
        > INHALT.HTM
        > INHALT.pdf
        > INHALT.TEX
        >
        > You can't get more readable than that.

        There are 19k files in hundreds of dirs and it is difficult wading
        through the text.
        Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
        it much easier to read.
        Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

        Thanks,
        -Mike

        >If you have umlauts and special
        > characters in your file names - not a good idea generally - then dir, at
        > least in Win98, will put out a DOS character page, probably cp850, not
        > Windows' cp1252, but that is easily remedied in NoteTab.
        >
        > There are reasons why i don't install some eXPerimental OS, but it can't
        > be that bad, can it?
        >
        > Axel

        > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
        > Tested on: 4/6/2010 2:56:19 PM

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
          > it much easier to read.
          > Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

          I see why that's nice to have. Here is my full standard batch for a big
          directory structure:

          dir /b /on /s *.pdf > Scans.txt
          char t2w Scans.txt
          F:\Winutil\NoteTab\NotePro.exe /L=Functions:Format Scans.txt

          char is a codepage converter I wrote myself in Pascal. t2w is the
          conversion table to use. And this is the clip "Format Filelist":

          ;^!Menu Modify/Lines/Sort/Ascending
          ^!Replace "^.:(.*)$" >> "$1" WRASI
          ^!Replace "\" >> "/" WASI
          ^!Jump TEXT_START
          ^!InsertText Diese Liste wurde erstellt am: ^$GetDate(yyyy-mm-dd)$^P^P

          With the full power of NoteTab at your fingertips you can achieve almost
          anything in the way of reformatting text.

          On 10k files in many subdirectories the above is all done in an instant,
          the slowest part is my very un-optimized simple-minded Pascal routine.

          Axel
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
            fw7oaks wrote:

            > XDir ?

            Got the report.
            It is weird.
            There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the list is put together.
            The first line from a folder name which starts with "P".

            The actual directory tree starts with a folder named "2010".
            The next folder name after that starts with an "A".

            Window properties reports 19,527 files.
            Xdir report has 19,511

            -Mike

            > http://download. cnet.com/ XDir/3000- 2248_4-10533916. html?tag=
            > contentMain; overviewHead
            > <http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead>
            >
            > --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW
            > V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> wrote:
            >
            > From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us
            > <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>>
            > Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
            > To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@ yahoogroups. com
            > <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>>
            > Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
            >

            > I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
            >
            > on a dir which has over 19k files in it.
            >
            > Any alternatives out there?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > -Mike
            >
            > --
            >
            > Morgantown WV
            >
            > www.EpicRoadTrips. us

            > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
            > Tested on: 4/6/2010 1:56:19 PM

            Morgantown WV

            www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          • fw7oaks
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
              --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

              > Got the report.
              >
              > It is weird.

              Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

              However you were looking and it might have been your solution.

              fw
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                fw7oaks wrote:

                > Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it
                > possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

                Hmmm... Could very well be.
                Thanks for the help.

                I will keep looking.
                -Mike