Re: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6 10:50 AM
      XDir ?

      http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead

      --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

      From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...>
      Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
      To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM

      I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging

      on a dir which has over 19k files in it.

      Any alternatives out there?

      Thanks,

      -Mike

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips. us

    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6 11:12 AM
        Axel Berger wrote:

        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > > Dir2Text
        >
        > Show me - I don't know that clip.

        It is a small Win utility, not a clip.

        > I very frequently use two ways:>
        > dir /b /on * > dir.text>
        > To get the command line you may have to run cmd im eXPerimental, I don't
        > know.>
        > For full paths and subdirectories it's one more option:>
        > dir /b /on /s * > PDF.txt

        This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.

        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6 11:30 AM
          fw7oaks wrote:

          > XDir ?
          I just started the process for the 19k files.
          Looks like it will take a while.

          Will report back.
          Thanks,
          -Mike

          > http://download. cnet.com/ XDir/3000- 2248_4-10533916. html?tag=
          > contentMain; overviewHead
          > <http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead>
          >
          > --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW
          > V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> wrote:
          >
          > From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us
          > <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>>
          > Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
          > To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@ yahoogroups. com
          > <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>>
          > Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
          >

          > I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
          >
          > on a dir which has over 19k files in it.
          >
          > Any alternatives out there?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > -Mike
          >
          > --
          >
          > Morgantown WV
          >
          > www.EpicRoadTrips. us

          > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
          > Tested on: 4/6/2010 1:56:19 PM

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6 11:50 AM
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.

            Something is strange here. This is what
            dir /b /on * > dir.txt
            puts out:

            .htaccess
            0A-Hinweis.txt
            ABSTRACT.pdf
            ABSTRACT.TEX
            dir.txt
            INHALT.1BD
            INHALT.CSV
            INHALT.HTM
            INHALT.pdf
            INHALT.TEX

            You can't get more readable than that. If you have umlauts and special
            characters in your file names - not a good idea generally - then dir, at
            least in Win98, will put out a DOS character page, probably cp850, not
            Windows' cp1252, but that is easily remedied in NoteTab.

            There are reasons why i don't install some eXPerimental OS, but it can't
            be that bad, can it?

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6 12:10 PM
              Axel Berger wrote:

              > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > > This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.
              >
              > Something is strange here. This is what
              > dir /b /on * > dir.txt
              > puts out:
              >
              > .htaccess
              > 0A-Hinweis.txt
              > ABSTRACT.pdf
              > ABSTRACT.TEX
              > dir.txt
              > INHALT.1BD
              > INHALT.CSV
              > INHALT.HTM
              > INHALT.pdf
              > INHALT.TEX
              >
              > You can't get more readable than that.

              There are 19k files in hundreds of dirs and it is difficult wading
              through the text.
              Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
              it much easier to read.
              Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

              Thanks,
              -Mike

              >If you have umlauts and special
              > characters in your file names - not a good idea generally - then dir, at
              > least in Win98, will put out a DOS character page, probably cp850, not
              > Windows' cp1252, but that is easily remedied in NoteTab.
              >
              > There are reasons why i don't install some eXPerimental OS, but it can't
              > be that bad, can it?
              >
              > Axel

              > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
              > Tested on: 4/6/2010 2:56:19 PM

              Morgantown WV

              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6 12:24 PM
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
                > it much easier to read.
                > Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

                I see why that's nice to have. Here is my full standard batch for a big
                directory structure:

                dir /b /on /s *.pdf > Scans.txt
                char t2w Scans.txt
                F:\Winutil\NoteTab\NotePro.exe /L=Functions:Format Scans.txt

                char is a codepage converter I wrote myself in Pascal. t2w is the
                conversion table to use. And this is the clip "Format Filelist":

                ;^!Menu Modify/Lines/Sort/Ascending
                ^!Replace "^.:(.*)$" >> "$1" WRASI
                ^!Replace "\" >> "/" WASI
                ^!Jump TEXT_START
                ^!InsertText Diese Liste wurde erstellt am: ^$GetDate(yyyy-mm-dd)$^P^P

                With the full power of NoteTab at your fingertips you can achieve almost
                anything in the way of reformatting text.

                On 10k files in many subdirectories the above is all done in an instant,
                the slowest part is my very un-optimized simple-minded Pascal routine.

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 6 12:26 PM
                  fw7oaks wrote:

                  > XDir ?

                  Got the report.
                  It is weird.
                  There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the list is put together.
                  The first line from a folder name which starts with "P".

                  The actual directory tree starts with a folder named "2010".
                  The next folder name after that starts with an "A".

                  Window properties reports 19,527 files.
                  Xdir report has 19,511

                  -Mike

                  > http://download. cnet.com/ XDir/3000- 2248_4-10533916. html?tag=
                  > contentMain; overviewHead
                  > <http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead>
                  >
                  > --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW
                  > V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us
                  > <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>>
                  > Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
                  > To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@ yahoogroups. com
                  > <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>>
                  > Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
                  >

                  > I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
                  >
                  > on a dir which has over 19k files in it.
                  >
                  > Any alternatives out there?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > -Mike
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Morgantown WV
                  >
                  > www.EpicRoadTrips. us

                  > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
                  > Tested on: 4/6/2010 1:56:19 PM

                  Morgantown WV

                  www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 6 2:17 PM
                    --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

                    > Got the report.
                    >
                    > It is weird.

                    Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

                    However you were looking and it might have been your solution.

                    fw
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6 2:23 PM
                      fw7oaks wrote:

                      > Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it
                      > possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

                      Hmmm... Could very well be.
                      Thanks for the help.

                      I will keep looking.
                      -Mike