Alternative to Dir2Text

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
      I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
      on a dir which has over 19k files in it.

      Any alternatives out there?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Dir2Text

        Show me - I don't know that clip. I very frequently use two ways:

        dir /b /on * > dir.text

        To get the command line you may have to run cmd im eXPerimental, I don't
        know.

        For full paths and subdirectories it's one more option:

        dir /b /on /s * > PDF.txt

        I don't know if there's a limit, offhand I wouldn't find any directory
        with so many files.

        Axel
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
          XDir ?

          http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
            Axel Berger wrote:

            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > > Dir2Text
            >
            > Show me - I don't know that clip.

            It is a small Win utility, not a clip.

            > I very frequently use two ways:>
            > dir /b /on * > dir.text>
            > To get the command line you may have to run cmd im eXPerimental, I don't
            > know.>
            > For full paths and subdirectories it's one more option:>
            > dir /b /on /s * > PDF.txt

            This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.

            Thanks,
            -Mike
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
              fw7oaks wrote:

              > XDir ?
              I just started the process for the 19k files.
              Looks like it will take a while.

              Will report back.
              Thanks,
              -Mike

              > http://download. cnet.com/ XDir/3000- 2248_4-10533916. html?tag=
              > contentMain; overviewHead
              > <http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead>
              >
              > --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW
              > V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> wrote:
              >
              > From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us
              > <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>>
              > Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
              > To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@ yahoogroups. com
              > <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>>
              > Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
              >

              > I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
              >
              > on a dir which has over 19k files in it.
              >
              > Any alternatives out there?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > -Mike
              >
              > --
              >
              > Morgantown WV
              >
              > www.EpicRoadTrips. us

              > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
              > Tested on: 4/6/2010 1:56:19 PM

              Morgantown WV

              www.EpicRoadTrips.us
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.

                Something is strange here. This is what
                dir /b /on * > dir.txt
                puts out:

                .htaccess
                0A-Hinweis.txt
                ABSTRACT.pdf
                ABSTRACT.TEX
                dir.txt
                INHALT.1BD
                INHALT.CSV
                INHALT.HTM
                INHALT.pdf
                INHALT.TEX

                You can't get more readable than that. If you have umlauts and special
                characters in your file names - not a good idea generally - then dir, at
                least in Win98, will put out a DOS character page, probably cp850, not
                Windows' cp1252, but that is easily remedied in NoteTab.

                There are reasons why i don't install some eXPerimental OS, but it can't
                be that bad, can it?

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                  Axel Berger wrote:

                  > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > > This generates the list but it is practically unreadable.
                  >
                  > Something is strange here. This is what
                  > dir /b /on * > dir.txt
                  > puts out:
                  >
                  > .htaccess
                  > 0A-Hinweis.txt
                  > ABSTRACT.pdf
                  > ABSTRACT.TEX
                  > dir.txt
                  > INHALT.1BD
                  > INHALT.CSV
                  > INHALT.HTM
                  > INHALT.pdf
                  > INHALT.TEX
                  >
                  > You can't get more readable than that.

                  There are 19k files in hundreds of dirs and it is difficult wading
                  through the text.
                  Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
                  it much easier to read.
                  Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                  >If you have umlauts and special
                  > characters in your file names - not a good idea generally - then dir, at
                  > least in Win98, will put out a DOS character page, probably cp850, not
                  > Windows' cp1252, but that is easily remedied in NoteTab.
                  >
                  > There are reasons why i don't install some eXPerimental OS, but it can't
                  > be that bad, can it?
                  >
                  > Axel

                  > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
                  > Tested on: 4/6/2010 2:56:19 PM

                  Morgantown WV

                  www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > Dir2Txt had options to indent and bracket dirs and subdirs. This makes
                    > it much easier to read.
                    > Dir2Txt also has an output to HTML option.

                    I see why that's nice to have. Here is my full standard batch for a big
                    directory structure:

                    dir /b /on /s *.pdf > Scans.txt
                    char t2w Scans.txt
                    F:\Winutil\NoteTab\NotePro.exe /L=Functions:Format Scans.txt

                    char is a codepage converter I wrote myself in Pascal. t2w is the
                    conversion table to use. And this is the clip "Format Filelist":

                    ;^!Menu Modify/Lines/Sort/Ascending
                    ^!Replace "^.:(.*)$" >> "$1" WRASI
                    ^!Replace "\" >> "/" WASI
                    ^!Jump TEXT_START
                    ^!InsertText Diese Liste wurde erstellt am: ^$GetDate(yyyy-mm-dd)$^P^P

                    With the full power of NoteTab at your fingertips you can achieve almost
                    anything in the way of reformatting text.

                    On 10k files in many subdirectories the above is all done in an instant,
                    the slowest part is my very un-optimized simple-minded Pascal routine.

                    Axel
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                      fw7oaks wrote:

                      > XDir ?

                      Got the report.
                      It is weird.
                      There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the list is put together.
                      The first line from a folder name which starts with "P".

                      The actual directory tree starts with a folder named "2010".
                      The next folder name after that starts with an "A".

                      Window properties reports 19,527 files.
                      Xdir report has 19,511

                      -Mike

                      > http://download. cnet.com/ XDir/3000- 2248_4-10533916. html?tag=
                      > contentMain; overviewHead
                      > <http://download.cnet.com/XDir/3000-2248_4-10533916.html?tag=contentMain;overviewHead>
                      >
                      > --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW
                      > V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> wrote:
                      >
                      > From: Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us
                      > <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>>
                      > Subject: [NTO] Alternative to Dir2Text
                      > To: "NTB Off-topic" <ntb-OffTopic@ yahoogroups. com
                      > <mailto:ntb-OffTopic%40yahoogroups.com>>
                      > Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 7:26 PM
                      >

                      > I have always used Dir2Text to generate file lists but it is now hanging
                      >
                      > on a dir which has over 19k files in it.
                      >
                      > Any alternatives out there?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > -Mike
                      >
                      > --
                      >
                      > Morgantown WV
                      >
                      > www.EpicRoadTrips. us

                      > Virus Database (VPS): 100406-1, 04/06/2010
                      > Tested on: 4/6/2010 1:56:19 PM

                      Morgantown WV

                      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                    • fw7oaks
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                        --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

                        > Got the report.
                        >
                        > It is weird.

                        Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

                        However you were looking and it might have been your solution.

                        fw
                      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                          fw7oaks wrote:

                          > Yes, too many switches and configuration options for my liking. Is it
                          > possible your strange sort order is time based on date of folder creation ?

                          Hmmm... Could very well be.
                          Thanks for the help.

                          I will keep looking.
                          -Mike