Re: [NTO] Can NoteTab Pro 6 Regular Expressions Change Windows-7 Shortcut Names?

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
      Harold wrote:
      >Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) appends a " - Shortcut" string to
      >the end of every shortcut created, in addition to overlaying the
      >shortcut arrow icon in the lower left corner of the shortcut's
      >icon. I've been trying to use NoteTab Pro 6's Find & Replace box to
      >remove this string on "a selected folder and all its
      >subfolders." I've not had any success at this, because Find &
      >Replace wants to operate on documents instead of shortcuts.

      You need the disk search rather than Find & Replace. Search | Search
      Disk or CTRL + D.

      >Does anyone know of an approach to doing this with Regular
      >Expressions? At this point I don't think NoteTab Pro 6 can do this,
      >because it is internally structured to recognize only file contents,
      >and not file names, folder names, or shortcut names.

      Wrong! Could do it with a clip too if you want. Can't help you with
      the regexp though.

      BTW I don't think this is OT at all. ;-)

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
        I wrote:
        >You need the disk search rather than Find & Replace. Search | Search
        >Disk or CTRL + D.

        I'm tired and talk gibberish. Of course disk search can't do it.
        Sorry if it got your hopes up.

        > Could do it with a clip too if you want.

        At least the above is correct. You could do it with a clip.

        Lotta
      • Al
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
          Harold wrote:
          > All:
          >
          > Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) appends a " - Shortcut" string to the end of every shortcut created, in addition to overlaying the shortcut arrow icon in the lower left corner of the shortcut's icon. I've been trying to use NoteTab Pro 6's Find & Replace box to remove this string on "a selected folder and all its subfolders."
          http://commandwindows.com/

          dir "* - Shortcut" > results.txt

          Without Notetab, the above command, have you tried it does it produce a
          text file containing names of shortcuts that you want renamed?

          If it does so and if Notetab clip lingo has a file move or rename
          command or function

          Then you could use Notetab, feed the names from results.txt into an
          array and rename them.

          --
          Alan.
        • Alex Plantema
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
            Op vrijdag 2 april 2010 19:53 schreef Harold:

            > Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) appends a " - Shortcut" string to the
            > end of every shortcut created, in addition to overlaying the shortcut
            > arrow icon in the lower left corner of the shortcut's icon. I've
            > been trying to use NoteTab Pro 6's Find & Replace box to remove this
            > string on "a selected folder and all its subfolders." I've not had
            > any success at this, because Find & Replace wants to operate on
            > documents instead of shortcuts.
            >
            > Does anyone know of an approach to doing this with Regular
            > Expressions? At this point I don't think NoteTab Pro 6 can do this,
            > because it is internally structured to recognize only file contents,
            > and not file names, folder names, or shortcut names.

            First make a list of file names:
            dir /b > results.txt

            Then edit results.txt:
            find: ^(.*) - Results(.*)$
            replace with: ren "$0" "$1$2"
            with the Regular Exp. box checked.

            Save the result as a .bat file.

            Alex.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
              Alan wrote:
              >dir "* - Shortcut" > results.txt
              >
              >Without Notetab, the above command, have you tried it does it produce a
              >text file containing names of shortcuts that you want renamed?

              Could use ^$GetFiles()$ as well. But I suspect Harold isn't into
              clips since this is on the OT list.