Re: [NTO] Can NoteTab Pro 6 Regular Expressions Change Windows-7 Shortcut Names?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi Harold: this came up either in this group or the clips group some
      time ago (approx July 2008).
      The program shortcut.exe - look for [Shortcut v1.11 (Shortcut.exe)] on
      http://www.optimumx.com/download/#Shortcut

      Its a command line procedure that will either query contents of
      shortcuts or allow creating/modifying them.
      Usage consists of creating a batch file which defines how each link is
      to be written, what its target is also set arguments.

      This is overkill for what you want. Instead get one of the many (free)
      rename utilities.
      This one TheRename (available from
      http://www.softempire.com/the-rename.html ) will definitely do what you
      need. Just use a filter of *.lnk and setup parameters as required.

      Incidentally there is a registry tweak that will prevent the "shortcut
      to" being appended when shortcuts are initially created. I know it works
      in WinXp (via TweakUI) and presume its available in some fashion on Win-7

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
        Harold wrote:
        >Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) appends a " - Shortcut" string to
        >the end of every shortcut created, in addition to overlaying the
        >shortcut arrow icon in the lower left corner of the shortcut's
        >icon. I've been trying to use NoteTab Pro 6's Find & Replace box to
        >remove this string on "a selected folder and all its
        >subfolders." I've not had any success at this, because Find &
        >Replace wants to operate on documents instead of shortcuts.

        You need the disk search rather than Find & Replace. Search | Search
        Disk or CTRL + D.

        >Does anyone know of an approach to doing this with Regular
        >Expressions? At this point I don't think NoteTab Pro 6 can do this,
        >because it is internally structured to recognize only file contents,
        >and not file names, folder names, or shortcut names.

        Wrong! Could do it with a clip too if you want. Can't help you with
        the regexp though.

        BTW I don't think this is OT at all. ;-)

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
          I wrote:
          >You need the disk search rather than Find & Replace. Search | Search
          >Disk or CTRL + D.

          I'm tired and talk gibberish. Of course disk search can't do it.
          Sorry if it got your hopes up.

          > Could do it with a clip too if you want.

          At least the above is correct. You could do it with a clip.

          Lotta
        • Al
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
            Harold wrote:
            > All:
            >
            > Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) appends a " - Shortcut" string to the end of every shortcut created, in addition to overlaying the shortcut arrow icon in the lower left corner of the shortcut's icon. I've been trying to use NoteTab Pro 6's Find & Replace box to remove this string on "a selected folder and all its subfolders."
            http://commandwindows.com/

            dir "* - Shortcut" > results.txt

            Without Notetab, the above command, have you tried it does it produce a
            text file containing names of shortcuts that you want renamed?

            If it does so and if Notetab clip lingo has a file move or rename
            command or function

            Then you could use Notetab, feed the names from results.txt into an
            array and rename them.

            --
            Alan.
          • Alex Plantema
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
              Op vrijdag 2 april 2010 19:53 schreef Harold:

              > Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) appends a " - Shortcut" string to the
              > end of every shortcut created, in addition to overlaying the shortcut
              > arrow icon in the lower left corner of the shortcut's icon. I've
              > been trying to use NoteTab Pro 6's Find & Replace box to remove this
              > string on "a selected folder and all its subfolders." I've not had
              > any success at this, because Find & Replace wants to operate on
              > documents instead of shortcuts.
              >
              > Does anyone know of an approach to doing this with Regular
              > Expressions? At this point I don't think NoteTab Pro 6 can do this,
              > because it is internally structured to recognize only file contents,
              > and not file names, folder names, or shortcut names.

              First make a list of file names:
              dir /b > results.txt

              Then edit results.txt:
              find: ^(.*) - Results(.*)$
              replace with: ren "$0" "$1$2"
              with the Regular Exp. box checked.

              Save the result as a .bat file.

              Alex.
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
                Alan wrote:
                >dir "* - Shortcut" > results.txt
                >
                >Without Notetab, the above command, have you tried it does it produce a
                >text file containing names of shortcuts that you want renamed?

                Could use ^$GetFiles()$ as well. But I suspect Harold isn't into
                clips since this is on the OT list.