Re: [NTO] google discussion group

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
      Hi Mike,

      On 15 Mar 10 10:44 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      <mike@...> said:
      > http://www.google.com/addurl/
      > You think it is ineffectual?

      There's no point in using it if the page is already accessible to
      Google. i.e. is linked to an existing page that Google has access to
      and is not excluded by a robot file telling Google not to spider it.

      In due course Google's spider will return to update its database and
      then the page will be added to Google search engine.

      The only reason for using that link is if it's a brand new site with
      no link to it anywhere on the web that leads to it. In that case, and
      that case only, Google needs to be told it's there as it won't find it
      by spidering.

      Greg
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
        Greg Chapman wrote:

        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > On 15 Mar 10 10:44 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        > <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> said:
        > > http://www.google com/addurl/ <http://www.google.com/addurl/>
        > > You think it is ineffectual?
        >
        > There's no point in using it if the page is already accessible to
        > Google. i.e. is linked to an existing page that Google has access to
        > and is not excluded by a robot file telling Google not to spider it.
        >
        > In due course Google's spider will return to update its database and
        > then the page will be added to Google search engine.
        >
        > The only reason for using that link is if it's a brand new site with
        > no link to it anywhere on the web that leads to it. In that case, and
        > that case only, Google needs to be told it's there as it won't find it
        > by spidering.

        Thanks , Greg.
        It is a new site as you describe above.
        When it is as complete as it will be for the immediate future I will
        then submit it to Google.
        Thanks,
        -Mike

        > Greg

        > Virus Database (VPS): 100315-0, 03/15/2010
        > Tested on: 3/15/2010 11:40:56 AM

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
          Mike wrote:
          >This button?
          >http://www.google.com/addurl/
          >You think it is ineffectual?

          I think it's something from old times that they keep around for
          coziness. Surely there will be at least one link to your new page (or site)?

          >> <http://www.google com/support/ forum/p/Webmaste rs?hl=en >
          >> <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters?hl=en>
          >
          >Not sure why I could not get to this link on my own...

          It used to be easy, just a couple of clicks from the front page. For
          a while it was hard to find, I landed on pages where they wanted me
          to sign in all the time, so I started to do this.
          http://www.google.com/search?q=google+webmasters
          The first hit takes you to http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/
          and then it IS easy.

          But I notice that it's easy again now. Click the "About Google" link
          on the front page, then look under "For Site Owners" and click
          "Webmaster Central", then "Help Center". Then it's the first link under "

          Help resources".

          Lotta
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010