Re: [NTO] google discussion group

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
      loro wrote:
      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      >
      > >Anyone know of a discussion group for Google?
      > >I have googled this, but can't find one.
      > >
      > >I have some questions about spidering and URL submission.
      >
      > Google's own forums? You can forget about submitting your site.I
      > think the button is there for therapeutic reasons.

      This button?
      http://www.google.com/addurl/
      You think it is ineffectual?

      > <http://www.google com/support/ forum/p/Webmaste rs?hl=en
      > <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters?hl=en>>

      Not sure why I could not get to this link on my own...
      Thanks,
      -Mike

      > Lotta

      > Virus Database (VPS): 100314-0, 03/14/2010
      > Tested on: 3/14/2010 4:44:11 PM

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
        Hi Mike,

        On 15 Mar 10 10:44 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        <mike@...> said:
        > http://www.google.com/addurl/
        > You think it is ineffectual?

        There's no point in using it if the page is already accessible to
        Google. i.e. is linked to an existing page that Google has access to
        and is not excluded by a robot file telling Google not to spider it.

        In due course Google's spider will return to update its database and
        then the page will be added to Google search engine.

        The only reason for using that link is if it's a brand new site with
        no link to it anywhere on the web that leads to it. In that case, and
        that case only, Google needs to be told it's there as it won't find it
        by spidering.

        Greg
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
          Greg Chapman wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > On 15 Mar 10 10:44 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          > <mike@WildWonderfulW V.us <mailto:mike%40WildWonderfulWV.us>> said:
          > > http://www.google com/addurl/ <http://www.google.com/addurl/>
          > > You think it is ineffectual?
          >
          > There's no point in using it if the page is already accessible to
          > Google. i.e. is linked to an existing page that Google has access to
          > and is not excluded by a robot file telling Google not to spider it.
          >
          > In due course Google's spider will return to update its database and
          > then the page will be added to Google search engine.
          >
          > The only reason for using that link is if it's a brand new site with
          > no link to it anywhere on the web that leads to it. In that case, and
          > that case only, Google needs to be told it's there as it won't find it
          > by spidering.

          Thanks , Greg.
          It is a new site as you describe above.
          When it is as complete as it will be for the immediate future I will
          then submit it to Google.
          Thanks,
          -Mike

          > Greg

          > Virus Database (VPS): 100315-0, 03/15/2010
          > Tested on: 3/15/2010 11:40:56 AM

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
            Mike wrote:
            >This button?
            >http://www.google.com/addurl/
            >You think it is ineffectual?

            I think it's something from old times that they keep around for
            coziness. Surely there will be at least one link to your new page (or site)?

            >> <http://www.google com/support/ forum/p/Webmaste rs?hl=en >
            >> <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters?hl=en>
            >
            >Not sure why I could not get to this link on my own...

            It used to be easy, just a couple of clicks from the front page. For
            a while it was hard to find, I landed on pages where they wanted me
            to sign in all the time, so I started to do this.
            http://www.google.com/search?q=google+webmasters
            The first hit takes you to http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/
            and then it IS easy.

            But I notice that it's easy again now. Click the "About Google" link
            on the front page, then look under "For Site Owners" and click
            "Webmaster Central", then "Help Center". Then it's the first link under "

            Help resources".

            Lotta
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010