Re: [NTO] preserving white spaces in notetab

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > When I copy and paste from the .doc to NoteTab, the blank lines and
      > other preserved formatting is stripped out.

      Why do you do that? I presume you're using Microsoft Word, why not save
      as text? With copying and pasting MS-Word does funny things, trying to
      know better what it is you want, than you do yourself.

      Or look for an option in your OCR software that saves all line ends when
      saving as text and does not try to make paragraphs.

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
        Adrien Verlee wrote:

        > Op 11-mrt-10, om 15:38 heeft Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV het
        > volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > Is there anyway to have NT preserve formatting?
        >
        > Try to create a macro in Word for each paragraph to add <p> and </p>.

        Hi Adrien,
        I see acouple of problems with that.
        First, I am using the <pre> tag to save formatting. No <p> tags.
        see: http://gsuttonbreiding.net/2010/

        Also, when reveal codes is turned on in Word there are not multiple
        paragraph codes as you would expect.
        Where there is white space between paragraphs there are no codes.

        Thanks,
        -Mike

        > --
        > Adrien

        > Virus Database (VPS): 100311-0, 03/11/2010
        > Tested on: 3/11/2010 9:56:38 AM

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
          Axel Berger wrote:

          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > > When I copy and paste from the .doc to NoteTab, the blank lines and
          > > other preserved formatting is stripped out.
          >
          > Why do you do that? I presume you're using Microsoft Word, why not save
          > as text?

          Tried that. MS Word strips all the formatting out.

          > With copying and pasting MS-Word does funny things, trying to
          > know better what it is you want, than you do yourself.
          >
          > Or look for an option in your OCR software that saves all line ends when
          > saving as text and does not try to make paragraphs.

          I can see no such option in either OCR I am using.
          Thanks,
          -Mike

          > Axel

          > Virus Database (VPS): 100311-0, 03/11/2010
          > Tested on: 3/11/2010 10:16:38 AM

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > > > When I copy and paste from the .doc to NoteTab, the blank lines and
            > > > other preserved formatting is stripped out.
            > >
            > > Why do you do that? I presume you're using Microsoft Word, why not save
            > > as text?
            >
            >Tried that. MS Word strips all the formatting out.

            Have you tried to print to PDF from Word (using one of those drivers
            for that purpose) and then copy from the PDF?

            Can you have your OCR software output another format than doc to begin with?

            Lotta
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                loro wrote:

                > > > Why do you do that? I presume you're using Microsoft Word, why not save
                > > > as text?
                > >
                > >Tried that. MS Word strips all the formatting out.

                > Have you tried to print to PDF from Word (using one of those drivers
                > for that purpose) and then copy from the PDF?

                I just tried that and it has the same results.

                > Can you have your OCR software output another format than doc to begin with?

                Yes.
                Currently I get the best results with Notepad. It saves the basic
                formatting but not the extra lines.

                If I output to NoteTab is keeps the line breaks, but that is all.
                Thanks,
                -Mike
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                  Hi
                  If you are saving as doc would it not be easier to save as html file in word
                  first then open it in notetab if required .
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  > I am OCRing some material which needs the formatting preserved.
                  > If I save it to a .doc file the formatting is preserved, in a .txt some
                  > is saved, but not blank lines used as separators.
                  >
                  > When I copy and paste from the .doc to NoteTab, the blank lines and
                  > other preserved formatting is stripped out.
                  >
                  > Is there anyway to have NT preserve formatting?
                  >
                  > Example:
                  > This:
                  >
                  > where
                  > eyes of moss look up to
                  > stars that don't exist
                  > i watch
                  >

                  > the light years burn up
                  > the crumpled pages
                  > tossed
                  >

                  > Becomes this:
                  > where
                  > eyes of moss look up to
                  > stars that don't exist
                  > i watch
                  > the light years burn up
                  > the crumpled pages
                  > tossed

                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                    On 12 Mar 10 13:28 "Dave" <dmc43959@...> said:
                    > If you are saving as doc would it not be easier to save as html file
                    > in word first then open it in notetab if required .

                    And then use HTMLTidy to strip out the rubbish that WORD inserts when
                    saving as HTML.

                    Greg
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                      Dave wrote:
                      > Hi
                      > If you are saving as doc would it not be easier to save as html file in
                      > word
                      > first then open it in notetab if required .
                      > THANKYOU DAVE M

                      Hi Dave,
                      This works, but it would take longer to clean up the HTML than to
                      manually insert the extra lines.

                      -Mike

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > This works, but it would take longer to clean up the HTML than to
                        > manually insert the extra lines.

                        I doubt that. After some fiddling and optimizing a clip can do the
                        cleaning all on its own. Finding the places where lines are to be
                        inserted has to be done manually every time.

                        As my late dad used to say:
                        "Progress is the work of lazy people. Every time something needs to be
                        done, the industrious people just go and do it. Lazy people sit down and
                        try to think of a way to avoid all that work."

                        Axel
                      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                          Axel Berger wrote:

                          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                          > > This works, but it would take longer to clean up the HTML than to
                          > > manually insert the extra lines.
                          >
                          > I doubt that. After some fiddling and optimizing a clip can do the
                          > cleaning all on its own. Finding the places where lines are to be
                          > inserted has to be done manually every time.
                          >
                          > As my late dad used to say:
                          > "Progress is the work of lazy people. Every time something needs to be
                          > done, the industrious people just go and do it. Lazy people sit down and
                          > try to think of a way to avoid all that work."

                          Certainly applies here! ;)
                          -Mike