Re: [NTO] deleted dmusic.sys by mistake - oops!

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 21, 2010
      Stephen Riddle wrote:
      > All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun
      > stuff that gets us down.

      Although that goes against all my prejudices and instincts I disagree
      here. Of course in the strongest sense we don't need a computer at all.
      I still write my letters using a simple text editor and the built-in
      unproportional printer fonts. A several dozens of megabytes office suite
      only adds bells and whistles and often makes the end product worse. But
      my father recorded radio programs onto reel-to-reel tape and so did I
      until about 1995. I then changed to DAT digital tape and was very
      disappointed, the mechanics just did not last under heavy use. I now use
      computers and good sound cards throughout. I began burning MP3-CDs but
      now all data and backups are on several harddisks, that continue to
      become bigger and cheaper.
      In a way that is a need served. It used to be out of the reach of home
      computing and now is well within. Something similar is watching films on
      DVD, I have no other equipment to do that, no TV, and no VHS.

      So yes, there are new capabilities and they do call for buying new and
      higher powered equipment, but there are not too many of these. There
      rarely is any improvement on what older machines did well already.