Re: [NTO] deleted dmusic.sys by mistake - oops!

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 21 4:11 AM
      --- On Sun, 2/21/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > His tone was a little condescending, as if confirming that CP/M too
      > was safe from current viuses,

      Those were the days, Axel, all the OS you needed from a 5¼ inch 360k floppy.

      fw
    • Stephen Riddle
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 21 7:16 AM
        > > [snip]
        > > His tone was a little condescending, as if confirming that CP/M too
        > > was safe from current viuses,

        > Those were the days, Axel, all the OS you needed from a 5¼ inch 360k floppy.

        Uh, that's still true. All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun stuff that gets us down.
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 21 7:55 AM
          Stephen Riddle wrote:
          > All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun
          > stuff that gets us down.

          Although that goes against all my prejudices and instincts I disagree
          here. Of course in the strongest sense we don't need a computer at all.
          I still write my letters using a simple text editor and the built-in
          unproportional printer fonts. A several dozens of megabytes office suite
          only adds bells and whistles and often makes the end product worse. But
          my father recorded radio programs onto reel-to-reel tape and so did I
          until about 1995. I then changed to DAT digital tape and was very
          disappointed, the mechanics just did not last under heavy use. I now use
          computers and good sound cards throughout. I began burning MP3-CDs but
          now all data and backups are on several harddisks, that continue to
          become bigger and cheaper.
          In a way that is a need served. It used to be out of the reach of home
          computing and now is well within. Something similar is watching films on
          DVD, I have no other equipment to do that, no TV, and no VHS.

          So yes, there are new capabilities and they do call for buying new and
          higher powered equipment, but there are not too many of these. There
          rarely is any improvement on what older machines did well already.