Re: [NTO] deleted dmusic.sys by mistake - oops!

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would
      > like to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't
      > know if I dare to.

      I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic. A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound traffic if you have a router firewall in place. However a good software firewall can still block, allow or prompt for permission on outbound traffic. You should be able to configure it as to how to handle each app's attempts to make outbound connections.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
        Sheri wrote:
        > However a good software
        > firewall can still block, allow or prompt for permission on outbound
        > traffic. You should be able to configure it as to how to handle each
        > app's attempts to make outbound connections. Regards, Sheri

        With Zone Alarm any requests are for outside access are handled with a
        pop up and you allow or disallow that instance only, or all which are
        requested by that particular app in the future.

        -mb
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
          Sheri wrote:
          > > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would
          > > like to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't
          > > know if I dare to.
          >
          >I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic.

          Yes, it's theats from the outside I'm asking about.

          > A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound
          > traffic if you have a router firewall in place.

          Mine did. Maybe that's a sign the router isn't configured properly, I
          don't know.

          Lotta
        • Mick Housel
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
            Axel Berger wrote:

            > Mick Housel wrote:
            > > Maybe I read this wrong but do you really believe that the "modern",
            > > "comfortable" OSs install and then instantly upon connection to the
            > > net, the OS goes and installs countless viruses as part of it's
            > > normal routine?
            >
            > Yes, it's a well documented fact. Of course the "actively install" is a
            > bit of freedom with speech. What really happens, as far as I understood,
            > is that there are some server functionalities built in, that the normal
            > single user neither uses nor needs but that mayn viruses know to put to
            > very good use. And of course this is true for naked CD installs without
            > the later service packs. If you have one of those, need to reinstall and
            > need the net to get those updates, you're in trouble.

            Huh? It's a well known fact that when you download various updates,
            etc. for Windows OS' from Microsoft, they install known viruses?

            > > but also makes sure that I've got a good AV and firewall
            > > setup and going on all machines.
            >
            > Me specialty in engineering was nuclear reactors. There is a huge
            > difference between active and passive security. A sodium cooled fast
            > breeder needs active security controls and can run away if they fail. Of
            > course all these are redundant and divers (i.e. different brands and
            > technologies, so that not all will fail for the same reason) and it is
            > made very safe. But our own pebble bed design from Aachen made it
            > possible to withdraw all control rods (full power), shut off all cooling
            > and do nothing. All it needs to stay safe is the continued validity of
            > the laws of physics.
            > Of course a good AV software is worth a lot and you may hope, you'll
            > always be supplied with the relevant signatures before that malware
            > arrives on your machine. I prefer there simply not to be a hook or entry
            > for it to attack. Anything that doesn't exist can't be abused.

            I know absolutely nothing about nuclear reactors or anything of that
            nature. However, I do know computer and network security. And when it
            comes to either, there's no such thing as a system that's 100% secure.
            Some of you may have heard about the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) that
            was "caused" by a Microsoft patch for a vulnerability that went all the
            way back to the Win98 time period. It was soon discovered that it wasn't
            a flaw in the patch but rather that the machines that were affected had
            malware that was causing the issue. Within hours, the hackers of that
            malware had issued an update that fixed the issue. After all, they don't
            want their access/information feed to stop and that's what happens when
            the infected machines stop running. My point is that even if you think
            you're fully 100% protected, you aren't and things can happen.

            There's a 16 year old kid in Alabama that kept pinging at and trying to
            break through my firewall. He was warned numerous times to stop and not
            go further. Finally, I made the call with the info that the authorities
            needed to locate him. He swears he was just curious and he was lucky as
            he didn't end up in jail/prison for an extended period of time.
            Nowadays, trying to break into anyone's network/computer can be
            considered to be a terrorist activity. Not something anyone really wants
            to be charged with. This type of thing happens quite regularly, most of
            them will not keep working on a tightly protected network once they
            realize they're not going to get in.

            Personally, I *know* that it's better to run one of the later OS's and
            to have updated as much as possible. The same is true with most
            browsers, they fix and update security breaches in them as they find
            them so having the newer versions is generally a good thing unless it
            causes plugins, etc. to not work.

            Of course, this is only my opinion based on my experiences and
            knowledge. YMMV.

            Mick
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
              Axel wrote:
              >Of course none of all that protects you from actively clicking a
              >contaminated site with scripting allowed, but you knew that already.

              No, that's one of the things I wasn't sure about, but I did know the
              rest. I guess that could be the explanation to how I got the crap,
              couldn't it? Most software firewalls I've had warn about things like
              that, even if they most often do it when the evil stuff already is on
              your HD,but at least you can get rid of it fast enough. Maybe that's
              a reason to keep a software FW.

              I find them quite bothersome. Every new one you try do things
              differently and it's time consuming to learn how they work in detail.
              You think you've found a good one that don't slow things down too
              much, then you upgrade and it has turned into a monster that does
              everything but play cartoons. And the search for a program that is to
              more use than harm starts again... AV is the same.

              Lotta
            • Mick Housel
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
                Most routers don't have a hardware firewall built in. They may be able
                to block some ports through the router software but lower priced routers
                don't have a built in firewall.

                One of the best free software firewalls available was from the Comodo
                folks. I'm not sure if they still have it or not but it was better than
                most free ones. I know Zone Alarm is another popular choice but I've
                seen issues on some systems that try to run ZA, just like many have
                issues with Norton/Symantec. It all depends on the system details as
                well as what's installed on the system.

                Locking down outgoing ports through a firewall can help in the fact that
                it might stop some type of infection from communicating with it's
                "parent" outside.

                Mick

                loro wrote:
                > Sheri wrote:
                > > > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would
                > > > like to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't
                > > > know if I dare to.
                > >
                > >I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic.
                >
                > Yes, it's theats from the outside I'm asking about.
                >
                > > A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound
                > > traffic if you have a router firewall in place.
                >
                > Mine did. Maybe that's a sign the router isn't configured properly, I
                > don't know.
                >
                > Lotta
              • Mick Housel
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
                  Running an FTP or webserver is something that should only be done
                  through a hardware firewall and with numerous defensive shields to your
                  machine in place. Allowing that kind of access is just begging for
                  problems and folks attacking you.

                  Again, just my opinion and YMMV.

                  Mick

                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > (If you want to run a webserver or FTP-server or anything like that, you
                  > need to program some specific forwarding into the router yourself.)
                • edward
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
                    Since ZA sold out they have become more trouble than their worth because of
                    constant ads to upgrade to the paid version. I have the latest in Comodo and
                    am well pleased with it. I use the Comodo Suite, it is free for personal
                    use, business need to purchase if I am not mistaken
                    Ed B
                    > Most routers don't have a hardware firewall built in. They may be able
                    > to block some ports through the router software but lower priced routers
                    > don't have a built in firewall.
                    >
                    > One of the best free software firewalls available was from the Comodo
                    > folks. I'm not sure if they still have it or not but it was better than
                    > most free ones. I know Zone Alarm is another popular choice but I've
                    > seen issues on some systems that try to run ZA, just like many have
                    > issues with Norton/Symantec. It all depends on the system details as
                    > well as what's installed on the system.
                    >
                    > Locking down outgoing ports through a firewall can help in the fact that
                    > it might stop some type of infection from communicating with it's
                    > "parent" outside.
                    >
                    > Mick
                    >
                    > loro wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> >I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic.
                    >>
                    >> Yes, it's theats from the outside I'm asking about.
                    >>
                    >> > A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound
                    >> > traffic if you have a router firewall in place.
                    >>
                    >> Mine did. Maybe that's a sign the router isn't configured properly, I
                    >> don't know.
                    >>
                    >> Lotta

                  • jeff
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 20, 2010
                      Anyone else have trouble with the latest Firefox update?

                      Mine is claiming a Javascript error and hangs permanently, requiring a
                      RESET through files manager. (XP Pro)
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 21, 2010
                        Mick Housel wrote:
                        > It's a well known fact that when you download various updates,
                        > etc. for Windows OS' from Microsoft, they install known viruses?

                        Of course not. But if you want to do that you may need to connect an
                        unprotected computer to the net. Viruses will find and infect you in
                        minutes.

                        > There's a 16 year old kid in Alabama that kept pinging at and
                        > trying to break through my firewall.

                        Yes, when dealing with sentient beings actively targeting me then my
                        old, less sophisticated and long known OS will be very easy to break.
                        The thread so far was about automated and of necessity small malware
                        programs. Here using minority software and setting up differently from
                        the defaults will alone offer a lot of protection from anything coursing
                        in the wild.

                        And I still maintain that most of current malware, that does not require
                        user interation, makes use of OS features that my old OS simply does not
                        have. What's not there needs not be made secure. As an extreme example
                        (extreme for you and me, standard for all companies that have something
                        to protect): Keep any machine containing sensitive information out of
                        all networks and run it standing alone.

                        > Personally, I *know* that it's better to run one of the later
                        > OS's and to have updated as much as possible.

                        Some time ago one of the main advisors of our university computing
                        centre confirmed, that Win98 does not have the capability of being
                        attacked without user action. His tone was a little condescending, as if
                        confirming that CP/M too was safe from current viuses, but still, so far
                        Win98 does all I need. I'll need to move to Linux some day soon, I'm not
                        prepared to phone Mr. Gates every time I change my hardware, but so far
                        I keep putting it off.

                        Axel
                      • fw7oaks
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 21, 2010
                          --- On Sun, 2/21/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                          [snip]

                          > His tone was a little condescending, as if confirming that CP/M too
                          > was safe from current viuses,

                          Those were the days, Axel, all the OS you needed from a 5¼ inch 360k floppy.

                          fw
                        • Stephen Riddle
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 21, 2010
                            > > [snip]
                            > > His tone was a little condescending, as if confirming that CP/M too
                            > > was safe from current viuses,

                            > Those were the days, Axel, all the OS you needed from a 5¼ inch 360k floppy.

                            Uh, that's still true. All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun stuff that gets us down.
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 21, 2010
                              Stephen Riddle wrote:
                              > All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun
                              > stuff that gets us down.

                              Although that goes against all my prejudices and instincts I disagree
                              here. Of course in the strongest sense we don't need a computer at all.
                              I still write my letters using a simple text editor and the built-in
                              unproportional printer fonts. A several dozens of megabytes office suite
                              only adds bells and whistles and often makes the end product worse. But
                              my father recorded radio programs onto reel-to-reel tape and so did I
                              until about 1995. I then changed to DAT digital tape and was very
                              disappointed, the mechanics just did not last under heavy use. I now use
                              computers and good sound cards throughout. I began burning MP3-CDs but
                              now all data and backups are on several harddisks, that continue to
                              become bigger and cheaper.
                              In a way that is a need served. It used to be out of the reach of home
                              computing and now is well within. Something similar is watching films on
                              DVD, I have no other equipment to do that, no TV, and no VHS.

                              So yes, there are new capabilities and they do call for buying new and
                              higher powered equipment, but there are not too many of these. There
                              rarely is any improvement on what older machines did well already.