Re: [NTO] deleted dmusic.sys by mistake - oops!

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 20 8:12 AM
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      >I now use ZA, Avast, and SUPEREAntiSpyware.
      >
      >ZA routinely blocks unauthorized access and Avast has found more than
      >one Trojan attached to bogus emails and web sites.

      Do you have the Paid version of Avast?

      >I know there are lots of AV/Fireall combos which can be used and you
      >will get more than one recommendations.
      >Maybe mine works great, maybe I have just been lucky.

      Maybe mine did too, as long as I kept them installed... :-o

      I had Sunbelt. Before that I think it was Comodo. Now I'm trying a
      new one from PrivacyWare that seems less of a resource hog and
      haven't caused any programs to lock up or crash yet. I'm disappointed
      though. It felt very nice without the FW. Maybe my router is crap.
      What do I know? Or maybe the trojan had been lurking for a long time
      and first now downloaded something that made me take notice? Fact is,
      my computer is more silent than it has been in a long time now. If
      that's because the trojan or Sunbelt is gone I will never know.

      >I hope things get back to normal for you soon.

      Thank you. I think I got them all.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 20 8:20 AM
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > I now use ZA, Avast, and SUPEREAntiSpyware.

        I have never ever had any malware of any kind (not counting the Netgear
        card installation that so ruined my system, I had to install from
        scratch). But then I refuse to run a "modern", "comfortable" OS that
        just needs to be installed from its original CD and connected to the net
        and that searches for, runs, and installs countless viruses all by
        itself. On my Win98 I have to do all those virus installs manually
        myself. Suits me fine.

        Axel
      • Mick Housel
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 20 8:54 AM
          And then there's someone like me who uses the "modern", "comfortable" OS
          but also makes sure that I've got a good AV and firewall setup and
          going on all machines. I have also NEVER had any viruses or malware,
          knock on wood. I've always been very careful to keep a good AV program
          and at least a software firewall setup and up to date, I'm sure that
          helps. I've been playing with the "brain boxes" (my grandmothers term
          from years gone by) since way before there was anything near a GUI,
          when a mouse was still something that squeaked and ran across the floor
          to keep from getting got by the cat.

          I currently have 7 different systems here at my house and am running XP
          on two boxes, Vista on one laptop, Win7 on 3 machines and MS Server 2008
          on one. On my everyday desktop I'm currently running the paid version of
          AVG, ver. 9. I also have a hardware firewall setup so that makes it much
          more difficult for anyone to force their way in or out.
          I'm not trying to start an argument but don't understand the feeling
          that some folks have that they feel safer running a very old OS and
          feeling like they're more protected that way. There were and still are
          many vulnerabilities and security holes that have long since been fixed
          in later versions of Windows OSs. I'm just perplexed that folks will try
          and run the newest AV programs, etc. but refuse to do the same when it
          cames to the OS. As I said, I'm not trying to start a big argument here,
          just curious as to the reasoning.

          Maybe I read this wrong but do you really believe that the "modern",
          "comfortable" OSs install and then instantly upon connection to the net,
          the OS goes and installs countless viruses as part of it's normal routine?

          Mick

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 20 9:26 AM
            Axel wrote:
            >Mike wrote:
            > > I now use ZA, Avast, and SUPEREAntiSpyware.
            >
            >I have never ever had any malware of any kind (not counting the Netgear
            >card installation that so ruined my system, I had to install from
            >scratch). But then I refuse to run a "modern", "comfortable" OS that
            >just needs to be installed from its original CD and connected to the net
            >and that searches for, runs, and installs countless viruses all by
            >itself. On my Win98 I have to do all those virus installs manually
            >myself. Suits me fine.

            I've lived through 2K and now XP for a couple of years without
            getting anything either. Well, I did have something once that was
            somewhat of a problem to get rid of, but I don't remember the
            details. AFAIR it wasn't certain it was a virus in the first place
            and it didn't *do* anything.

            In what way do you mean modern Windows itself installs the viruses?
            Sound like something I need to learn about.

            BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would like
            to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't know if I dare to.

            Lotta
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 20 9:30 AM
              loro wrote:

              > Mike Breiding wrote:
              > >I now use ZA, Avast, and SUPEREAntiSpyware.
              > >
              > >ZA routinely blocks unauthorized access and Avast has found more than
              > >one Trojan attached to bogus emails and web sites.
              >
              > Do you have the Paid version of Avast?

              Nope. Registered HOME version.
              -mb
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 20 11:00 AM
                Mick Housel wrote:
                > Maybe I read this wrong but do you really believe that the "modern",
                > "comfortable" OSs install and then instantly upon connection to the
                > net, the OS goes and installs countless viruses as part of it's
                > normal routine?

                Yes, it's a well documented fact. Of course the "actively install" is a
                bit of freedom with speech. What really happens, as far as I understood,
                is that there are some server functionalities built in, that the normal
                single user neither uses nor needs but that mayn viruses know to put to
                very good use. And of course this is true for naked CD installs without
                the later service packs. If you have one of those, need to reinstall and
                need the net to get those updates, you're in trouble.

                > but also makes sure that I've got a good AV and firewall
                > setup and going on all machines.

                Me specialty in engineering was nuclear reactors. There is a huge
                difference between active and passive security. A sodium cooled fast
                breeder needs active security controls and can run away if they fail. Of
                course all these are redundant and divers (i.e. different brands and
                technologies, so that not all will fail for the same reason) and it is
                made very safe. But our own pebble bed design from Aachen made it
                possible to withdraw all control rods (full power), shut off all cooling
                and do nothing. All it needs to stay safe is the continued validity of
                the laws of physics.
                Of course a good AV software is worth a lot and you may hope, you'll
                always be supplied with the relevant signatures before that malware
                arrives on your machine. I prefer there simply not to be a hook or entry
                for it to attack. Anything that doesn't exist can't be abused.

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 20 12:37 PM
                  loro wrote:
                  > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter?

                  I believe I do, but hope I'll be corrected if I spout nonsense. With a
                  router the router has a public IP-address assigned by your provider and
                  all connected computers have local addresses assigned by the router (or
                  by yourself, if you turn the automatism off). So for any packet arriving
                  from outside the router needs to know, which computer to forward it to.
                  It does this by monitoring the requests you yourself make to outside
                  servers and routes the answers back. Thus any unsolicited packets can't
                  be assigned and are rejected.

                  (If you want to run a webserver or FTP-server or anything like that, you
                  need to program some specific forwarding into the router yourself.)

                  This takes care of the new capabilties introduced with XP. I believe,
                  but am not sure, 98 is safe from those even without a router. And of
                  course all I described is true only for a totally unsecured computer
                  running XP without any service packs - but that's exactly what you get
                  by installing from CD and connecting to get the updates from the net.
                  Typically the malware is faster than the installs, but a router does a
                  lot to protect.

                  Of course none of all that protects you from actively clicking a
                  contaminated site with scripting allowed, but you knew that already.

                  Axel
                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 20 12:49 PM
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                    > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would
                    > like to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't
                    > know if I dare to.

                    I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic. A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound traffic if you have a router firewall in place. However a good software firewall can still block, allow or prompt for permission on outbound traffic. You should be able to configure it as to how to handle each app's attempts to make outbound connections.

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 20 12:59 PM
                      Sheri wrote:
                      > However a good software
                      > firewall can still block, allow or prompt for permission on outbound
                      > traffic. You should be able to configure it as to how to handle each
                      > app's attempts to make outbound connections. Regards, Sheri

                      With Zone Alarm any requests are for outside access are handled with a
                      pop up and you allow or disallow that instance only, or all which are
                      requested by that particular app in the future.

                      -mb
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 20 1:36 PM
                        Sheri wrote:
                        > > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would
                        > > like to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't
                        > > know if I dare to.
                        >
                        >I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic.

                        Yes, it's theats from the outside I'm asking about.

                        > A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound
                        > traffic if you have a router firewall in place.

                        Mine did. Maybe that's a sign the router isn't configured properly, I
                        don't know.

                        Lotta
                      • Mick Housel
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 20 1:42 PM
                          Axel Berger wrote:

                          > Mick Housel wrote:
                          > > Maybe I read this wrong but do you really believe that the "modern",
                          > > "comfortable" OSs install and then instantly upon connection to the
                          > > net, the OS goes and installs countless viruses as part of it's
                          > > normal routine?
                          >
                          > Yes, it's a well documented fact. Of course the "actively install" is a
                          > bit of freedom with speech. What really happens, as far as I understood,
                          > is that there are some server functionalities built in, that the normal
                          > single user neither uses nor needs but that mayn viruses know to put to
                          > very good use. And of course this is true for naked CD installs without
                          > the later service packs. If you have one of those, need to reinstall and
                          > need the net to get those updates, you're in trouble.

                          Huh? It's a well known fact that when you download various updates,
                          etc. for Windows OS' from Microsoft, they install known viruses?

                          > > but also makes sure that I've got a good AV and firewall
                          > > setup and going on all machines.
                          >
                          > Me specialty in engineering was nuclear reactors. There is a huge
                          > difference between active and passive security. A sodium cooled fast
                          > breeder needs active security controls and can run away if they fail. Of
                          > course all these are redundant and divers (i.e. different brands and
                          > technologies, so that not all will fail for the same reason) and it is
                          > made very safe. But our own pebble bed design from Aachen made it
                          > possible to withdraw all control rods (full power), shut off all cooling
                          > and do nothing. All it needs to stay safe is the continued validity of
                          > the laws of physics.
                          > Of course a good AV software is worth a lot and you may hope, you'll
                          > always be supplied with the relevant signatures before that malware
                          > arrives on your machine. I prefer there simply not to be a hook or entry
                          > for it to attack. Anything that doesn't exist can't be abused.

                          I know absolutely nothing about nuclear reactors or anything of that
                          nature. However, I do know computer and network security. And when it
                          comes to either, there's no such thing as a system that's 100% secure.
                          Some of you may have heard about the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) that
                          was "caused" by a Microsoft patch for a vulnerability that went all the
                          way back to the Win98 time period. It was soon discovered that it wasn't
                          a flaw in the patch but rather that the machines that were affected had
                          malware that was causing the issue. Within hours, the hackers of that
                          malware had issued an update that fixed the issue. After all, they don't
                          want their access/information feed to stop and that's what happens when
                          the infected machines stop running. My point is that even if you think
                          you're fully 100% protected, you aren't and things can happen.

                          There's a 16 year old kid in Alabama that kept pinging at and trying to
                          break through my firewall. He was warned numerous times to stop and not
                          go further. Finally, I made the call with the info that the authorities
                          needed to locate him. He swears he was just curious and he was lucky as
                          he didn't end up in jail/prison for an extended period of time.
                          Nowadays, trying to break into anyone's network/computer can be
                          considered to be a terrorist activity. Not something anyone really wants
                          to be charged with. This type of thing happens quite regularly, most of
                          them will not keep working on a tightly protected network once they
                          realize they're not going to get in.

                          Personally, I *know* that it's better to run one of the later OS's and
                          to have updated as much as possible. The same is true with most
                          browsers, they fix and update security breaches in them as they find
                          them so having the newer versions is generally a good thing unless it
                          causes plugins, etc. to not work.

                          Of course, this is only my opinion based on my experiences and
                          knowledge. YMMV.

                          Mick
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 20 1:47 PM
                            Axel wrote:
                            >Of course none of all that protects you from actively clicking a
                            >contaminated site with scripting allowed, but you knew that already.

                            No, that's one of the things I wasn't sure about, but I did know the
                            rest. I guess that could be the explanation to how I got the crap,
                            couldn't it? Most software firewalls I've had warn about things like
                            that, even if they most often do it when the evil stuff already is on
                            your HD,but at least you can get rid of it fast enough. Maybe that's
                            a reason to keep a software FW.

                            I find them quite bothersome. Every new one you try do things
                            differently and it's time consuming to learn how they work in detail.
                            You think you've found a good one that don't slow things down too
                            much, then you upgrade and it has turned into a monster that does
                            everything but play cartoons. And the search for a program that is to
                            more use than harm starts again... AV is the same.

                            Lotta
                          • Mick Housel
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 20 1:55 PM
                              Most routers don't have a hardware firewall built in. They may be able
                              to block some ports through the router software but lower priced routers
                              don't have a built in firewall.

                              One of the best free software firewalls available was from the Comodo
                              folks. I'm not sure if they still have it or not but it was better than
                              most free ones. I know Zone Alarm is another popular choice but I've
                              seen issues on some systems that try to run ZA, just like many have
                              issues with Norton/Symantec. It all depends on the system details as
                              well as what's installed on the system.

                              Locking down outgoing ports through a firewall can help in the fact that
                              it might stop some type of infection from communicating with it's
                              "parent" outside.

                              Mick

                              loro wrote:
                              > Sheri wrote:
                              > > > BTW do know anything about this router firewall matter? I would
                              > > > like to run without a software firewall, but after this I don't
                              > > > know if I dare to.
                              > >
                              > >I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic.
                              >
                              > Yes, it's theats from the outside I'm asking about.
                              >
                              > > A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound
                              > > traffic if you have a router firewall in place.
                              >
                              > Mine did. Maybe that's a sign the router isn't configured properly, I
                              > don't know.
                              >
                              > Lotta
                            • Mick Housel
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 20 2:00 PM
                                Running an FTP or webserver is something that should only be done
                                through a hardware firewall and with numerous defensive shields to your
                                machine in place. Allowing that kind of access is just begging for
                                problems and folks attacking you.

                                Again, just my opinion and YMMV.

                                Mick

                                Axel Berger wrote:
                                > (If you want to run a webserver or FTP-server or anything like that, you
                                > need to program some specific forwarding into the router yourself.)
                              • edward
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 20 2:16 PM
                                  Since ZA sold out they have become more trouble than their worth because of
                                  constant ads to upgrade to the paid version. I have the latest in Comodo and
                                  am well pleased with it. I use the Comodo Suite, it is free for personal
                                  use, business need to purchase if I am not mistaken
                                  Ed B
                                  > Most routers don't have a hardware firewall built in. They may be able
                                  > to block some ports through the router software but lower priced routers
                                  > don't have a built in firewall.
                                  >
                                  > One of the best free software firewalls available was from the Comodo
                                  > folks. I'm not sure if they still have it or not but it was better than
                                  > most free ones. I know Zone Alarm is another popular choice but I've
                                  > seen issues on some systems that try to run ZA, just like many have
                                  > issues with Norton/Symantec. It all depends on the system details as
                                  > well as what's installed on the system.
                                  >
                                  > Locking down outgoing ports through a firewall can help in the fact that
                                  > it might stop some type of infection from communicating with it's
                                  > "parent" outside.
                                  >
                                  > Mick
                                  >
                                  > loro wrote:
                                  >> >
                                  >> >I believe a router firewall is only blocking uninvited inbound traffic.
                                  >>
                                  >> Yes, it's theats from the outside I'm asking about.
                                  >>
                                  >> > A software firewall probably doesn't see any unauthorized inbound
                                  >> > traffic if you have a router firewall in place.
                                  >>
                                  >> Mine did. Maybe that's a sign the router isn't configured properly, I
                                  >> don't know.
                                  >>
                                  >> Lotta

                                • jeff
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 20 5:47 PM
                                    Anyone else have trouble with the latest Firefox update?

                                    Mine is claiming a Javascript error and hangs permanently, requiring a
                                    RESET through files manager. (XP Pro)
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 21 12:12 AM
                                      Mick Housel wrote:
                                      > It's a well known fact that when you download various updates,
                                      > etc. for Windows OS' from Microsoft, they install known viruses?

                                      Of course not. But if you want to do that you may need to connect an
                                      unprotected computer to the net. Viruses will find and infect you in
                                      minutes.

                                      > There's a 16 year old kid in Alabama that kept pinging at and
                                      > trying to break through my firewall.

                                      Yes, when dealing with sentient beings actively targeting me then my
                                      old, less sophisticated and long known OS will be very easy to break.
                                      The thread so far was about automated and of necessity small malware
                                      programs. Here using minority software and setting up differently from
                                      the defaults will alone offer a lot of protection from anything coursing
                                      in the wild.

                                      And I still maintain that most of current malware, that does not require
                                      user interation, makes use of OS features that my old OS simply does not
                                      have. What's not there needs not be made secure. As an extreme example
                                      (extreme for you and me, standard for all companies that have something
                                      to protect): Keep any machine containing sensitive information out of
                                      all networks and run it standing alone.

                                      > Personally, I *know* that it's better to run one of the later
                                      > OS's and to have updated as much as possible.

                                      Some time ago one of the main advisors of our university computing
                                      centre confirmed, that Win98 does not have the capability of being
                                      attacked without user action. His tone was a little condescending, as if
                                      confirming that CP/M too was safe from current viuses, but still, so far
                                      Win98 does all I need. I'll need to move to Linux some day soon, I'm not
                                      prepared to phone Mr. Gates every time I change my hardware, but so far
                                      I keep putting it off.

                                      Axel
                                    • fw7oaks
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 21 4:11 AM
                                        --- On Sun, 2/21/10, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                                        [snip]

                                        > His tone was a little condescending, as if confirming that CP/M too
                                        > was safe from current viuses,

                                        Those were the days, Axel, all the OS you needed from a 5¼ inch 360k floppy.

                                        fw
                                      • Stephen Riddle
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 21 7:16 AM
                                          > > [snip]
                                          > > His tone was a little condescending, as if confirming that CP/M too
                                          > > was safe from current viuses,

                                          > Those were the days, Axel, all the OS you needed from a 5¼ inch 360k floppy.

                                          Uh, that's still true. All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun stuff that gets us down.
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 21 7:55 AM
                                            Stephen Riddle wrote:
                                            > All we really n e e d was around in 1990. It's the fun
                                            > stuff that gets us down.

                                            Although that goes against all my prejudices and instincts I disagree
                                            here. Of course in the strongest sense we don't need a computer at all.
                                            I still write my letters using a simple text editor and the built-in
                                            unproportional printer fonts. A several dozens of megabytes office suite
                                            only adds bells and whistles and often makes the end product worse. But
                                            my father recorded radio programs onto reel-to-reel tape and so did I
                                            until about 1995. I then changed to DAT digital tape and was very
                                            disappointed, the mechanics just did not last under heavy use. I now use
                                            computers and good sound cards throughout. I began burning MP3-CDs but
                                            now all data and backups are on several harddisks, that continue to
                                            become bigger and cheaper.
                                            In a way that is a need served. It used to be out of the reach of home
                                            computing and now is well within. Something similar is watching films on
                                            DVD, I have no other equipment to do that, no TV, and no VHS.

                                            So yes, there are new capabilities and they do call for buying new and
                                            higher powered equipment, but there are not too many of these. There
                                            rarely is any improvement on what older machines did well already.