Re: [Clip] Top-posting forces your reader to work (was Re: Finding a string within a string)

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 11, 2010
      I have posted this to off topic which if you read this ver top post you
      will now know. All further discussion will hopefully ensue on that
      forum and not in clips :-) because off topic posting is not nice ...
      even on a resilient list like this.

      I disagree strongly with the concept that top posting is wrong, in fact
      bottom posting is wrong. The fact is that there is no right way only
      one persons view of what's most convenient.

      When I am following a conversation, and I open a new email, the top
      posted content is immediately visible and I can read it, file it or
      delete it with nary a scroll. If one bottom posts I must scroll do
      decide what to do next.

      Top posting is nice in my book and I hope others will top post as well.

      I respect Sheri greatly but finally found something with which I
      disagree. But I still love you just the same ...

      Don

      On 2/11/2010 10:55 AM, Sheri wrote:
      > <http://idallen.com/topposting.html>
      >
      > Top posting is not nice.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri
    • Stephen Riddle
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 11, 2010
        Don't most of us do it one way one day and another another day?

        > Top posting is not nice.

        Doing any thing because it is right is good. Doing something
        because it follows the rules is occasionally good.
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 11, 2010
          --- On Thu, 2/11/10, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@...> wrote:

          [snip]

          > All further discussion will hopefully ensue on that [this] forum
          > and not in clips :-) because off topic posting is not nice ...

          I agree here with Don.

          > I disagree strongly with the concept that top posting is wrong,

          My support for Don is waning.

          [snip]

          > The fact is that there is no right way only one persons view of
          > what's most convenient.

          So for top-posting that is surely when the reply is simple and unlikely
          to generate further traffic,

          [snip]

          > I respect Sheri greatly

          Me too

          > but finally found something with which I disagree.

          No, Sheri is right, and btw try top-posting this reply . . .

          Ciao a tutti

          fw
        • John Wallace
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2010
            Here's the problem, a lot of people don't snip and cut.
            So their reply is lost in the text.

            ________________________________

            > All further discussion will hopefully ensue on that [this] forum
            > and not in clips :-) because off topic posting is not nice ...

            I agree here with Don.

            > I disagree strongly with the concept that top posting is wrong,

            My support for Don is waning.
            Do you know who's responding to this?
            [snip]

            > The fact is that there is no right way only one persons view of
            > what's most convenient.

            So for top-posting that is surely when the reply is simple and unlikely
            to generate further traffic,

            [snip]

            > I respect Sheri greatly
            Me three.
            Me too

            > but finally found something with which I disagree.

            No, Sheri is right, and btw try top-posting this reply . . .

            Wouldn't this be 'internal posting'?

            Ciao a tutti

            fw

            This is bottom replying.

            John
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2010
              fw7oaks wrote:
              >btw try top-posting this reply . . .

              QED! <BG>

              Lotta
            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
                --- On Fri, 2/12/10, John Wallace <johnta1@...> wrote:

                > Here's the problem, a lot of people don't snip and cut.
                > So their reply is lost in the text.

                There's another problem too, some programs fail to show in 'rich text format' the depth of quoting making it difficult to know who wrote what.

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                fw > > Behalf Of fw7oaks

                Don > > > On Thu, 2/11/10, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@htmlfixit. com

                > > > All further discussion will hopefully ensue on that [this] forum
                > > > and not in clips :-) because off topic posting is not nice ...

                fw > > I agree here with Don.

                Don > > > I disagree strongly with the concept that top posting is wrong,

                fw > > My support for Don is waning.

                JW > Do you know who's responding to this?

                You do if the depth of quoting is kept.

                fw
              • John Wallace
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
                  There's another problem too, some programs fail to show in 'rich text
                  format' the depth of quoting making it difficult to know who wrote what.

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  fw > > Behalf Of fw7oaks
                  > > Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:12 PM

                  Don > > > On Thu, 2/11/10, Don - HtmlFixIt.com <don@htmlfixit. com

                  > > > All further discussion will hopefully ensue on that [this] forum
                  > > > and not in clips :-) because off topic posting is not nice ...

                  fw > > I agree here with Don.

                  Don > > > I disagree strongly with the concept that top posting is wrong,

                  fw > > My support for Don is waning.

                  JW > Do you know who's responding to this?

                  You do if the depth of quoting is kept.

                  fw

                  What program do you use for your email, fw?

                  Mine would have lost all of that.

                  :)

                  John

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1566404/grpspId=1705007389/msgId
                  =8653/stime=1265983225/nc1=4507179/nc2=4025373/nc3=3848644>

                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                    --- On Fri, 2/12/10, John Wallace <johnta1@...> wrote:

                    > What program do you use for your email, fw?

                    Thunderbird - but not even that can restore collapsed nesting once another eMail client has flattened a message.

                    At least with TB you have a choice to flatten or not.

                    fw

                    PS: Eudora (no longer supported), Mulberry and The Bat pro version (not free) are other suitable choices too
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                      fw7oaks (fw7oaks@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-02-13 at 19:25):
                      > --- On Fri, 2/12/10, John Wallace <johnta1@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > What program do you use for your email, fw?
                      >
                      > Thunderbird - but not even that can restore collapsed nesting once
                      > another eMail client has flattened a message.

                      Their is also the Quote Color extension.
                      which makes it really easy to spot the new stuff ... especially with
                      those newsgroups that take interspersed comments within quoted material
                      seriously.

                      > At least with TB you have a choice to flatten or not.

                      and QuickQuote which allows quoting only selected text when replying
                      http://quickquote.mozdev.org/ (just noticed that above site says this
                      function is included in Thunderbird 3.

                      Speaking of Thunderbird 3 (well I am, even if no-one else is :-) ):
                      Has anyone either tested or switched from TB2 to TB3 - if so -
                      comments/difficulties etc.

                      I'm usually the first to jump on beta versions but *really* don't want
                      to screw up my email client/history.

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                        Alec Burgess wrote:
                        > fw7oaks (fw7oaks@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-02-13 at 19:25):

                        > and QuickQuote which allows quoting only selected text when replying
                        > http://quickquote.mozdev.org/ (just noticed that above site says this
                        > function is included in Thunderbird 3.
                        >
                        > Speaking of Thunderbird 3 (well I am, even if no-one else is :-) ):
                        > Has anyone either tested or switched from TB2 to TB3 - if so -
                        > comments/difficulties etc.
                        >
                        > I'm usually the first to jump on beta versions but *really* don't
                        want
                        > to screw up my email client/history.

                        Alec,

                        Yes, I tried TB3 for a few days and reverted to TB2. I had no
                        particular trouble but until the extensions are upgraded a large
                        number of nice little extras is lost.

                        I did notice several of the keystrokes had changed and I didn't like
                        the wide band between the message list and the message text.

                        ºvº SL_day# 044 - created 2010.02.13_22.05.39

                        Beer WARNING Label XI:
                        • The consumption of alcohol
                        • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

                        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                          > Speaking of Thunderbird 3 (well I am, even if no-one else is :-) ):
                          > Has anyone either tested or switched from TB2 to TB3 - if so -
                          > comments/difficulties etc.
                          >
                          > I'm usually the first to jump on beta versions but *really* don't
                          > want to screw up my email client/history.

                          I updated some time ago. It won't mess up your history.

                          The tabbed interface takes some getting used to, I still often accidentally close the whole window instead of the tab of the message I'm reading. :)

                          There was another feature I tried, which consolidates the presentation of multiple inboxes you have on different servers. I tried it for a few days, then reverted to the old style. Again, nothing was lost.

                          I've got custom fonts and quote coloring, but only through manual entries in the Thunderbird configuration files. I set it up in version 1 or 2, and it still works in version 3. However the extensions you mentioned (Quote Color and Quick Quote) might offer some improvements -- I'll have to take a look!

                          Regards,
                          Sheri
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                            fw7oaks wrote:
                            >PS: Eudora (no longer supported), Mulberry and The Bat pro version
                            >(not free) are other suitable choices too

                            Eudora is resurrected. Or rather it's on it's way to rise from the
                            ashes . I'm eagerly awaiting the day when it will be good enough to
                            use. The current Beta lacks some (for me) essential features.
                            Hopefully it will be better than old Dora. For instance it has proper
                            threading instead of Dora's annoying pseudo threading.

                            <http://eudora.com/betas/>

                            Lotta
                          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 14, 2010
                              It was smooth for me. I don't like the placement of the delete reply
                              buttons top right of my message window, so I simply restored the nt 2.0.

                              It also has some nice features like the ability to accept an expired
                              certificate permanently.

                              The one thing I am missing so far is my extension to look at a single
                              message in html ... if that is native to this, I have yet to find it. I
                              can go simple/html/text but it is as to all messages. I used to just
                              have a simple button.