Re: [NTO] number puzzle answers

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2010
      "Here are the answers to the number puzzles."

      Oh oh! This is an old pasttime -- guessing what rule MIGHT underlie the construction of a sequence of numbers.

      The question is almost always phrased incorrectly. "What is the next term in the sequence" makes no sense. The question is "What may be the rule that defines this sequence and what is THEN the next term". Any mathematician or any logical thinker will tell you that THERE IS NO CORRECT NEXT TERM until the sequence has been defined.

      Visit the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences - http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ ! Enter your sequence 12321 23432 34543 45654 56765 . You will find that your sequence 12321 23432 34543 45654 56765 is (or better, happens to be) a sub-sequence of the Giza-sequence. The next two members are indeed 67876 and 78987, each formed by adding 111111 to the previous member. But there it ends.

      Remember: THERE IS NO CORRECT NEXT TERM of a sequence until the sequence has been defined.

      "Here are the answers to the number puzzles." means only "Here are possible answers to the number puzzles."

      Bruce
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2010
        Here is one I first heard 30 years ago.

        A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z

        Line:1 A-E-F-H-I-K-L-M-N-T-?
        Line:2 B-C-D-G-J-O-P-Q-R-S-?

        As Bruce Summers would put it "what rule MIGHT underlie the construction
        of the sequence" and what are the next and following letters on each row.

        Note: It was given with the hint that my five year old brother might
        solve it faster than I could.

        Bruce Meyers (oldguy1166@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-01-11 at
        09:16):
        > Here are the answers to the number puzzles. Thanks to all who
        > answered them with
        > a special thanks to Stephen Riddle who answered the one I could not.
        <snip>