Re: [NTO] routers/hubs and waps - on the road

  • Mick Housel
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 29, 2009
      Are there USB ports available on these machines? If so, why not get a
      USB WAP and use that? Agreed, it's not the throughput speed of a hard
      wire or a802.11n connection but it should work.

      Mick

      MotoMania's Muse
      http://micksmanor.com/

      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

      > Greetings,
      > When I travel I often end up in peoples homes who have no WAP and no
      > ports available on their routers.
      >
      > Can I use a WAP/router and plug into their router then connect through
      > my router/WAP - without reconfiguring either router?
      >
      > I have googled this question but thus far I have only found info which
      > is 2 years and older.
      >
      > I have used hubs in the past to add more connections and they have
      > needed no configuring.
      >
      > Is there such a a thing as a hub/WAP?
      > I cannot find anything so far.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Mike
    • Mick Housel
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 30, 2009
        Axel Berger wrote:

        > Mick Housel wrote:
        > > Ya'll have a good week and a Happy New Year!
        >
        > Some to you, have a good one. Maybe I was a bit over the top, but the
        > permanent mistrust around me does grate. When people have finished
        > filling up a little before me and lock their cars when going in to pay,
        > I do see this as a personal affront, just like picking up valuables and
        > taking them along when going to the loo in e.g. a library.

        I think that's a bit more than needed to protect their stuff but can
        also understand it why some might feel that way. I grew up in the middle
        of nowhere in the Sierra Nevada mountains of northern California. 6 kids
        in my elementary school class in my home town. Since then I've lived all
        over the western US from San Diego to Washington state and as far east
        as Texas. From big cities to little tiny towns that hardly made the
        definition of town. Unfortunately in the 1/2 century of my existence,
        I've seen things change from being able to leave things unlocked
        wherever you were to keeping your house, garage, etc. locked unless you
        want to replace things continuously. I've had to replace things a few
        times from theft and it's cheaper to install and use locks. Some things
        can't be replaced such as pictures and family heirlooms. It's like Mr.
        Savage said "Locks keep honest people honest".

        > But something else: My WLAN is open but my partitions are protected via
        > password on Win98. How long does that take to crack? Minutes? Seconds?
        > Or hours, which would be safe enough for anything I've got.

        That depends on the complexity and length of the passwords. Most
        passwords less than 9 characters in length can be broken in a matter of
        minutes. Win98 files are tougher to protect due to the lack of security
        & encryption of the FAT file system in comparison with NTFS.

        BTW, I'd like to take the time to say thanks to all the regulars on the
        NTB lists that are there to answer the questions and provide guidance
        for those that are new or learning more about NTB, clips, etc. I've
        recommended NTB many times, partly because it's a great text editor but
        also because of the outstanding support given on these lists. I've
        learned lots just by reading and taking note of things that are discussed.

        Mick

        MotoMania's Muse
        http://micksmanor.com/