Re: [NTO] routers/hubs and waps - on the road

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 29, 2009
      I am no expert.

      I have four port hub with wireless that I run in a couple of places. I
      think you can plug that in and create a wireless and then put the prior
      in it.

      Good luck. I'd fiddle with it and then put it back before I left ... or
      just get new friends with wireless.

      They are only like $60 so if you go often, buy them one and leave it
      configured.

      I have one from linksys (my favorite because historically their support
      was solid -- have not needed them lately) and one from Belkin -- both
      were not terribly expensive.

      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > Dave wrote:
      >
      >> Hi
      >> have you tried a straight though cable the hub or router ,you would need to
      >> know unused IP unless they are DYNAMIC ,with WAP you would need to know
      >> there "wap key" if no key then unsecure probably DYNAMIC the rest is up to you.
      >> THANKYOU DAVE-211
      >
      > Hi Dave,
      > I have not tried anything yet because I don't have any of the hardware.
      > I am trying to find out what will/will not work and then get the
      > hardware. Problematic, but I don't know how else to approach it.
      >
      > Not sure what you mean by:
      >> have you tried a straight though cable the hub or router
      >
      > I don't want anything but a "plug and play" solution because I am don't
      > want to change things on other peoples computers.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Mike

    • Mick Housel
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 30, 2009
        Axel Berger wrote:

        > Mick Housel wrote:
        > > Ya'll have a good week and a Happy New Year!
        >
        > Some to you, have a good one. Maybe I was a bit over the top, but the
        > permanent mistrust around me does grate. When people have finished
        > filling up a little before me and lock their cars when going in to pay,
        > I do see this as a personal affront, just like picking up valuables and
        > taking them along when going to the loo in e.g. a library.

        I think that's a bit more than needed to protect their stuff but can
        also understand it why some might feel that way. I grew up in the middle
        of nowhere in the Sierra Nevada mountains of northern California. 6 kids
        in my elementary school class in my home town. Since then I've lived all
        over the western US from San Diego to Washington state and as far east
        as Texas. From big cities to little tiny towns that hardly made the
        definition of town. Unfortunately in the 1/2 century of my existence,
        I've seen things change from being able to leave things unlocked
        wherever you were to keeping your house, garage, etc. locked unless you
        want to replace things continuously. I've had to replace things a few
        times from theft and it's cheaper to install and use locks. Some things
        can't be replaced such as pictures and family heirlooms. It's like Mr.
        Savage said "Locks keep honest people honest".

        > But something else: My WLAN is open but my partitions are protected via
        > password on Win98. How long does that take to crack? Minutes? Seconds?
        > Or hours, which would be safe enough for anything I've got.

        That depends on the complexity and length of the passwords. Most
        passwords less than 9 characters in length can be broken in a matter of
        minutes. Win98 files are tougher to protect due to the lack of security
        & encryption of the FAT file system in comparison with NTFS.

        BTW, I'd like to take the time to say thanks to all the regulars on the
        NTB lists that are there to answer the questions and provide guidance
        for those that are new or learning more about NTB, clips, etc. I've
        recommended NTB many times, partly because it's a great text editor but
        also because of the outstanding support given on these lists. I've
        learned lots just by reading and taking note of things that are discussed.

        Mick

        MotoMania's Muse
        http://micksmanor.com/