Re: [NTO] Is rootbeerkit.com a scam?

  • Al
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > Al wrote:
      >
      >> masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
      >> that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that
      >>

      > After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
      > ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
      > confident.
      They were likely engineered for Win XP whereby they likely do not work
      on Win 98

      I'd run them in my Linux. But, somehow, Linux isn't Win. So, somehow,
      they don't run, even if I try to run them. Is that what you call "built
      in virus protection?"

      al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
      Slackware 12.2.0
      al@P5Q:~$

      Har har <grin>. And, yes, I know "support libraries, environment, etc."
      do not at all match up (not even whatsoever) between Linux and Win.

      That's what wine is for. And also, virtual machine.
      > But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
      > meaningless film show must be very naive,
      My 87 year old father fell for it. He had upwards of 50 viruses on his
      Win XP. But I got him on Linux now. Problem solved.

      --
      Alan.

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
        Charles,

        This is very suspicious behavior. I recommend avoiding anything to do
        with this until you have done a thorough scan of your system.

        I recommend using the free version of MalwareBytes from
        http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. Do the full scan after updating
        to the latest signature file.

        I also recommend that you get up-to-date anti-virus software. A good
        free one is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is for WinXP, Vista and
        Win7.

        If the MalwareBytes does not install or finds nothing, then I would be
        very surprised.

        Google also has a safe browsing page and lists rootbeerkit.com as suspicious.

        http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=rootbeerkit.com

        HTH,

        ~ Larry