Re: [NTO] Is rootbeerkit.com a scam?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
      Al wrote:
      > masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
      > that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that

      After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
      ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
      confident. But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
      meaningless film show must be very naive, in less polite company I might
      have said something else. And running a full fledged exe from that
      provenience - I ask you.

      Axel
    • Al
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > Al wrote:
        >
        >> masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
        >> that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that
        >>

        > After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
        > ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
        > confident.
        They were likely engineered for Win XP whereby they likely do not work
        on Win 98

        I'd run them in my Linux. But, somehow, Linux isn't Win. So, somehow,
        they don't run, even if I try to run them. Is that what you call "built
        in virus protection?"

        al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
        Slackware 12.2.0
        al@P5Q:~$

        Har har <grin>. And, yes, I know "support libraries, environment, etc."
        do not at all match up (not even whatsoever) between Linux and Win.

        That's what wine is for. And also, virtual machine.
        > But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
        > meaningless film show must be very naive,
        My 87 year old father fell for it. He had upwards of 50 viruses on his
        Win XP. But I got him on Linux now. Problem solved.

        --
        Alan.

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
          Charles,

          This is very suspicious behavior. I recommend avoiding anything to do
          with this until you have done a thorough scan of your system.

          I recommend using the free version of MalwareBytes from
          http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. Do the full scan after updating
          to the latest signature file.

          I also recommend that you get up-to-date anti-virus software. A good
          free one is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is for WinXP, Vista and
          Win7.

          If the MalwareBytes does not install or finds nothing, then I would be
          very surprised.

          Google also has a safe browsing page and lists rootbeerkit.com as suspicious.

          http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=rootbeerkit.com

          HTH,

          ~ Larry