Re: [NTO] Is rootbeerkit.com a scam?

  • Al
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
      al@P5Q:~$ whois trashymail.com

      Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
      with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
      for detailed information.

      Domain Name: TRASHYMAIL.COM
      Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
      Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
      Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
      Name Server: NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      Name Server: NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      Updated Date: 02-apr-2009
      Creation Date: 23-apr-2007
      Expiration Date: 23-apr-2011

      >>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:14:58 UTC <<<

      Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
      in the "registrant" field. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, Inc.
      is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

      Registrant:
      Michael Weber
      2-4-3 Minami Ogikubo
      Tokyo, Tokyo 1670052
      Japan

      Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
      Domain Name: TRASHYMAIL.COM
      Created on: 23-Apr-07
      Expires on: 23-Apr-11
      Last Updated on: 02-Apr-09

      Administrative Contact:
      Weber, Michael wwwmichi@...
      2-4-3 Minami Ogikubo
      Tokyo, Tokyo 1670052
      Japan
      5055396801 Fax --

      Technical Contact:
      Weber, Michael wwwmichi@...
      2-4-3 Minami Ogikubo
      Tokyo, Tokyo 1670052
      Japan
      5055396801 Fax --

      Domain servers in listed order:
      NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
        Al wrote:
        > masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
        > that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that

        After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
        ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
        confident. But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
        meaningless film show must be very naive, in less polite company I might
        have said something else. And running a full fledged exe from that
        provenience - I ask you.

        Axel
      • Al
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2009
          Axel Berger wrote:
          > Al wrote:
          >
          >> masquerade -- ie something that "appears to be" something
          >> that it is not. Many people (make a mistake) and run that
          >>

          > After having had a look at the three scripts I went out on a limb and
          > ran them in Opera on W98. I hope I'm still clean, but am mildly
          > confident.
          They were likely engineered for Win XP whereby they likely do not work
          on Win 98

          I'd run them in my Linux. But, somehow, Linux isn't Win. So, somehow,
          they don't run, even if I try to run them. Is that what you call "built
          in virus protection?"

          al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
          Slackware 12.2.0
          al@P5Q:~$

          Har har <grin>. And, yes, I know "support libraries, environment, etc."
          do not at all match up (not even whatsoever) between Linux and Win.

          That's what wine is for. And also, virtual machine.
          > But to be honest, someone falling for that kind of
          > meaningless film show must be very naive,
          My 87 year old father fell for it. He had upwards of 50 viruses on his
          Win XP. But I got him on Linux now. Problem solved.

          --
          Alan.

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2009
            Charles,

            This is very suspicious behavior. I recommend avoiding anything to do
            with this until you have done a thorough scan of your system.

            I recommend using the free version of MalwareBytes from
            http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. Do the full scan after updating
            to the latest signature file.

            I also recommend that you get up-to-date anti-virus software. A good
            free one is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is for WinXP, Vista and
            Win7.

            If the MalwareBytes does not install or finds nothing, then I would be
            very surprised.

            Google also has a safe browsing page and lists rootbeerkit.com as suspicious.

            http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=rootbeerkit.com

            HTH,

            ~ Larry